Debunking?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2010, 12:36 PM

RE: Debunking?
What is the point of doing anything? We could all just exist in a state of desperation where we are all too aware of our mortality and thus refuse to do anything because anything we build, anything we destroy, anything we do will have absolutely no meaning to us once we are dead. In fact, the entire universe and existence itself will cease to "exist" if you will.

Of course, we are biologically predisposed to not do this. We are perhaps the only creatures on earth with enough complexity to just sit there, but we have evolved from animals who aren't. We, as they do, have the drive to reproduce, and the drive of self-preservation. It is from these two root instincts that our society has formed. Of course, since we humans are capable of more than just reproduction and survival, we have enriched our society with our ingenuity. We find our place in society, and it gives us purpose during our temporary illusion of consciousness.

And I think that one facet of human society is a certain "honesty" if you will, that prevails the majority of things in our life. Only ideas that are true and only ideas that have been validated should be accepted. In other words, we have for the most part a fact-based society. If we didn't have a fact-based society, we would live in a very different and probably chaotic society. I believe that religion violates this "honesty" or "truthfulness" if you will.

I know you Ghost, believe in subjective reality, and I don't believe myself to be intelligent enough to debate you about it, so I won't. I'll just say that the inductive scientific method that has produced almost everything we see around us is objective as far as I understand it, and it is also responsible for the validation of ideas and facts that permeate our society.

Debunking religion has a purpose simply because I do not believe ideas that are not "true" should be taken as valid in society. When you get down to it, nothing has a purpose, as I explained at the beginning of my post. But we humans have invented purposes for ourselves, and society is the main institution through which we channel these purposes. I think only accepting objectively true ideas is just one part of this construct, if you will.

Sorry if my post doesn't make any sense but there is my crack at it.
Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2010, 04:07 PM
This is why we need to debunk religion. Part 10 literally scares me. The fact that there are religious people who don't give a damn if the whole world explodes into nuclear warfare, because they'll "be with their god" afterward, scares me. An atheist would never be able to think like that. An atheist would not be able to condemn others to a horrible death unless s/he was a complete psychopath.
It takes religion to make otherwise good people do horrible things. Those who are only moderately religious, or are apathetic about religion, provide a foundation for the fundamentalists to exist. If only the fundamentalists were religious, nobody would take them seriously; they'd be like Scientologists.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2010, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2010 05:27 PM by No J..)
(15-10-2010 12:36 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Sorry if my post doesn't make any sense but there is my crack at it.

It makes lots of sense to me.
(15-10-2010 04:07 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  This is why we need to debunk religion. Part 10 literally scares me. The fact that there are religious people who don't give a damn if the whole world explodes into nuclear warfare, because they'll "be with their god" afterward, scares me. An atheist would never be able to think like that. An atheist would not be able to condemn others to a horrible death unless s/he was a complete psychopath.
It takes religion to make otherwise good people do horrible things. Those who are only moderately religious, or are apathetic about religion, provide a foundation for the fundamentalists to exist. If only the fundamentalists were religious, nobody would take them seriously; they'd be like Scientologists.

I totally agree.
Find all posts by this user
19-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Because religion (specifically dogma) will exterminate the human race unless it's eradicated
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2010, 08:47 AM

(14-10-2010 05:55 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I was wondering something. What is the point of debunking religions?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
I think religion debunks itself. Christianity for instance, is ridiculously flawed and nonsensical.As is Islam, and others.
For the believer, they're a life saver. Usually because that person has been indoctrinated in a generational programming system that spreads throughout cultures. Families teach their children, and that hardwiring sets so that when they're an adult, it feels true, right, and they're committed because they've literally been led to believe.

Those outside of any faith system that "Debunk" religion, I see as simply pointing out what's blatantly obvious, and putting it into the public domain through books, video's, lectures, simply provides a light at the end of a tunnel, if anyone in faith are looking for a way out. Either way, all Debunking does is free the mind, from the superstition that is designed to enslave the whole person. Body, mind, and the spirit that's also created notion and part of the hope it's all true.
Quote this message in a reply