Poll: Is it using?
You should be honest about your beliefs no matter the consequences.
It's your life, your beliefs and nobody has a right to know unless you want them to, no matter the situation.
Fuck you, evenheathen. I don't care.
[Show Results]

Deception? Honesty? Privacy? Usury?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Deception? Honesty? Privacy? Usury?
I've seen this come up a number of times. Let's have a melee. Yes

Is it dishonest to keep one's atheism to his/herself when the outcome could be the difference between future financial assistance from parents/guardians?

There undoubtedly is much more to the picture than that in most cases, which is why it's a touchy subject.

What say ye?

Is it unfair for the atheist to withhold personal beliefs?
Is it unfair for parents to deny their children opportunities because of a fairy tale?

DLJ, I fully expect some lessons on ethics here. Drinking Beverage

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2014, 03:29 PM
RE: Deception? Honesty? Privacy? Usury?
A lot of gays have had to keep their sexuality hidden for the sake of self-preservation; I think the two are a lot alike.

Is it the best solution? Probably not but depending on circumstances it may be the only solution.

You can be of an age where you aren't only financially dependent, but also legally dependent.

The dishonesty is a price in and of itself... so who's to blame...parents that would turn their backs on their child for being honest or a person doing what they have to do to keep a roof over their head in the only way they can?

I think the ethical dilemma is more on the part of the parent willing to abandon their child. IMHO

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-01-2014, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2014 03:57 PM by Slowminded.)
Quote:Is it unfair for the atheist to withhold personal beliefs?
Your personal beliefs are your own, you are not obligated to share them with anyone.

Quote:Is it unfair for parents to deny their children opportunities because of a fairy tale?
Yes, it is unfair.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
17-01-2014, 05:43 PM
When I was in HS, I imagined living in a time where I could die if I was honest about my atheism. I imagined being held at *weapon*point and asked if I believed in god. In HS, I thought I would answer "no" because I didn' think I would be capable of such a personal lie. I thought, "good thing I didn't live in that time (or in those places in the current time), because I would be murdered."

Now, I'm pretty sure I would lie. It sucks, but you gotta do what is best for you.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Adrian, your post reminded me of bein a young child at church. We were asked if we would deny Christ if a gun was held to our head, and we were asked to deny him. Of course according to them the correct answer was of course you don't deny Christ, let them shoot you, that way you'll be sure to have your place in heaven... Creepy stuff, funny how I only now remember that after your story.

On topic: parents who would deny their child a college education / a home / support if they came out as atheist, have every right to keep it to themselves until they are self sufficient. In the scheme of things, being honest no matter the consequences could have lasting negative effects on the person's life. Just not worth it, if you ask me.
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
17-01-2014, 06:06 PM
(17-01-2014 06:00 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Adrian, your post reminded me of bein a young child at church. We were asked if we would deny Christ if a gun was held to our head, and we were asked to deny him. Of course according to them the correct answer was of course you don't deny Christ, let them shoot you, that way you'll be sure to have your place in heaven... Creepy stuff, funny how I only now remember that after your story.
Was your church raising an "army of god?" That's gross what they did to you. That's like if a father went to his kid and said, "If anybody ever points a gun to you and tells you to say I'm not your parent, or they will shoot, well you better sure as hell let them shoot you! Cuz peepo gotsta kno dat I'm Yo daddy!"

17-01-2014, 06:10 PM
(17-01-2014 06:06 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 06:00 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Adrian, your post reminded me of bein a young child at church. We were asked if we would deny Christ if a gun was held to our head, and we were asked to deny him. Of course according to them the correct answer was of course you don't deny Christ, let them shoot you, that way you'll be sure to have your place in heaven... Creepy stuff, funny how I only now remember that after your story.
Was your church raising an "army of god?" That's gross what they did to you. That's like if a father went to his kid and said, "If anybody ever points a gun to you and tells you to say I'm not your parent, or they will shoot, well you better sure as hell let them shoot you! Cuz peepo gotsta kno dat I'm Yo daddy!"

I know right? I think I remember thinking, well these people are crazy, I'm just gunna save my skin! Could just be wishful thinking.. At least I know I figured it out early enough Wink I knew heaven was bs even while I was going to church and "talking the talk"
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
17-01-2014, 06:13 PM
She's a smart one! Thumbsup