Declining Empathy and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2015, 12:37 PM
RE: Declining Empathy and Atheism
(14-01-2015 12:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  While there are religious people who are not that empathic, it would be difficult to argue that that their lack of empathy plays any real part in why they find religion appealing, or attractive, and in fact this would be counter intuitive. Why would someone who lacks empathy, want to be a part of a religious community, that likes to sing songs about God's love, and gives sermons primarily dealing with relational components, like forgiveness, and charity, and compassion, etc?

Wouldn't the prospect of sitting at home, reading about the mechanics of the cosmos, evolution, and mediums well attuned for objective removed reasoning, be more appealing?

But all kinds are drawn to religion you retard. They find it appealing for a variety of emotional and comforting reasons, which says nothing about how empathetic they are towards others. Religious folks will spout out anything in a poll that their faith pomotes, but does not imply that they act a certain way. Most of the women at my wife's baptist church are the biggest self centered bitches I have come to know. Grow up and quit with the baseless assertions and witch hunt on members of this forum.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Why ya'll starting to name call? Not very empathetic of you. Sad
[+] 7 users Like LadyJane's post
14-01-2015, 12:55 PM
(14-01-2015 12:41 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Why ya'll starting to name call? Not very empathetic of you. Sad

I am showing empathy as I understand this person's feelings, attitude and emotions from their point of view. My conclusion - dishonest weasel.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
14-01-2015, 01:01 PM
I would be far more interested to see a study that seeks to find any link between the degree of fundamentalism expressed by individuals and criminal behaviour.

And there is no shortage of test subjects (in Iraq, Afghanistan, North Florida....)

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 3 users Like gofish!'s post
14-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Religious groups often stoop to emotional pleading/blackmail to try to snare their victims. Make people feel guilt, lack self confidence as they are supposed to believe they are worthless sinners in desperate need of redemption.

That shit don't work on people lacking empathy, or autistic or asbergers, or people who are too old and too secure to fall for that shit.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
14-01-2015, 01:19 PM
All I know is that I never got any empathy from anyone in my church or anyone in my family. I have received more love and support from atheists and most of them strangers (at least at first) over the internet than I ever got from any of the religious people I've ever known.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 5 users Like Losty's post
14-01-2015, 01:28 PM
It's more than a little difficult to lend credence to a doom & gloom post after reading Pinker's "Better Angels of Our Nature." Perhaps you should read that before connecting up disparate studies and forming conclusions?
[+] 5 users Like thesummerqueen's post
14-01-2015, 01:39 PM
I'm highly doubtful of any time religious folk claim a general higher morality than atheists. Last time I've checked, it wasn't atheists who were throwing out kids into the cold due to their sexual orientation, bombing a newspaper due to a drawing, or condemning condom usage in an AIDs-ridden Africa.

(and to be clear I am not painting all theists with that brush, but it's definitely prevalent in our world today)

If you ever hang out with an atheist like one of us, you'd find out that we're not some morally deprived humans. We are just like every other person. Of course, this is given that the person you're talking to isn't clinically sociopathic.
[+] 2 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post
14-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Yet also aren't crime rates and murder rates in this same studied areas and overall down moreso in this recent adjusting time as well? Does that have any direct impact due to this? Is that responsible somehow by less empathy? What would less empathy indicate in society?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-01-2015, 02:32 PM
I thought Dildo said we had to borrow our morals from the Bible?

Don't blame us if we come away with bad behavior. Now if you'll excuse me, I raped a bitch and now I gotta go marry her. Peace.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post