Declining Empathy and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2015, 02:35 PM
RE: Declining Empathy and Atheism
(14-01-2015 02:32 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I thought Dildo said we had to borrow our morals from the Bible?

Don't blame us if we come away with bad behavior. Now if you'll excuse me, I raped a bitch and now I gotta go marry her. Peace.

Well if diddo said it.....

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-01-2015, 03:01 PM
(14-01-2015 02:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 02:32 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I thought Dildo said we had to borrow our morals from the Bible?

Don't blame us if we come away with bad behavior. Now if you'll excuse me, I raped a bitch and now I gotta go marry her. Peace.

Yes, but how do you know it's true???
14-01-2015, 03:08 PM
(14-01-2015 02:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Dido?
[Image: -Dido-dido-36867317-1024-768.jpg]
14-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Christians believe that unbelievers are destined for an eternity of the most unspeakable torments.

Christians believe that they are destined for an eternity of paradise where anybody not present will be suffering the aforementioned torments.

Christians do little to prevent this, engaging in superficial evangelism at best and acting smug about it at worst.

Christians have more empathy.

And now a word from our favorite amphibian sage:

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
14-01-2015, 03:31 PM
(14-01-2015 03:30 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Christians believe that unbelievers are destined for an eternity of the most unspeakable torments.

Christians believe that they are destined for an eternity of paradise where anybody not present will be suffering the aforementioned torments.

Christians do little to prevent this, engaging in superficial evangelism at best and acting smug about it at worst.

Christians have more empathy.

And now a word from our favorite amphibian sage:

Spoiler Alert: It's the shoe.
14-01-2015, 03:52 PM
(14-01-2015 11:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  There seems to be an overall decline in empathy among society as whole. There are several studies indicating this:

Ok.

(14-01-2015 11:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Another study suggests this decline is more pronounced between believers and unbelievers, often in the double digit range:

This was based on a survey. That's not a very reliable means of ascertaining facts. It's also not surprising that believers would self-report their empathy whether true or not because it's typically what their religions would expect of them.

(14-01-2015 11:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The demographics of atheism also shows that males are more attracted to atheism than females, as well as high-functioning autistics.
(14-01-2015 11:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Both of these parties show less empathetic responses:

If those are true, and that's a big "if", it probably reflects the emotional component of religious belief. The more emotional a person is, the more likely therefore they would be a believer.

(14-01-2015 11:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  While the evidence doesn't suggest that atheism leads to a lack of empathy.

Correct (all except for the period - it should have been a comma).

(14-01-2015 11:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It does seem to strongly suggest that those with a declined sense of empathy are attracted to atheism, and perhaps even a driving force for the growing population of unbelievers as a whole.

I don't see how, even if correlation implied causation (which we all know it doesn't), one would arrive at this conclusion.

(14-01-2015 11:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Another aspects that seems to be supportive of this, is the attraction to strong systemizing among many unbelievers, the appeals to the hard sciences, and methodologies, and perspectives of the world, that are highly dependent on such systemizing aspects, and a derogatory perspective on non-systemizing perspectives, and observations.

How does this support that lower empathy is more likely to lead to an attraction to atheism? What it supports is that those who are willing to think critically instead of passively accepting what's fed to them on a spoon are more likely to understand the reality right under their noses.

(14-01-2015 11:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The less empathetic we are, whether because of genetic predispositions, or social and environmental factors, the more we seem to be attracted to systematic observations, and atheism. The decline in empathy, and growth of unbelievers is unlikely to be just coincidental, but seems to be a significant contributor to disbelief. This position seems to be strongly supported by a number of studies, several of which I've cited here.

All I see is a post full of confirmation bias. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
14-01-2015, 04:01 PM
(14-01-2015 03:52 PM)Impulse Wrote:  All I see is a post full of confirmation bias. Drinking Beverage

He's looking for buyers for his bias Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-01-2015, 04:02 PM
(14-01-2015 03:08 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 02:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Well if diddo said it.....

Dido?

Not that one.

Dido, the founder and first queen of Carthage

14-01-2015, 04:12 PM
(14-01-2015 03:31 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Spoiler Alert: It's the shoe.

The saw is the only one made for cutting.

The pliers is the only one made without organic components.

The hammer is the only one that will be a useful weapon in the zombie apocalypse.

Yes. We played the Sesame Street game with the expanded rules.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
14-01-2015, 04:27 PM
(14-01-2015 04:02 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 03:08 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  Dido?

Not that one.

Dido, the founder and first queen of Carthage

And she's a right bitch in Civilization V when she wants to be... Dodgy

[Image: dido_declares_war_original.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post