Declining Empathy and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2015, 04:49 PM
RE: Declining Empathy and Atheism
(14-01-2015 04:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 03:52 PM)Impulse Wrote:  All I see is a post full of confirmation bias. Drinking Beverage

He's looking for buyers for his bias Tongue

Confirmed. Big Grin

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
14-01-2015, 05:00 PM
I live in the U.S. We have a part of the country that's known as the Bible Belt. It is, by far and wide, the most racist, hateful part of the country, and all the politicians that get elected from those states are from a party that completely lacks empathy for anyone except the rich. They stay in power because their voting base is mainly made up of piss-poor rednecks who only care that a politician thumps his Bible and waves his flag, and is at least somewhat of a closet racist. The politician has to make sure that they whine about how religion should get special privileges, but, of course, only Christianity has a right to those special privileges.

Sorry, but your argument is shot to shit.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 5 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
14-01-2015, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2015 05:23 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(14-01-2015 11:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  There seems to be an overall decline in empathy among society as whole. There are several studies indicating this:

Quote:"We found the biggest drop in empathy after the year 2000," said Sara Konrath, a researcher at the U-M Institute for Social Research. "College kids today are about 40 percent lower in empathy than their counterparts of 20 or 30 years ago, as measured by standard tests of this personality trait.""

http://ns.umich.edu/new/releases/7724

Another study suggests this decline is more pronounced between believers and unbelievers, often in the double digit range:

Quote:"The survey by a pollster at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada, found that adults who profess a belief in God are significantly more likely than atheists to say that forgiveness, patience, generosity and a concern for others are "very important." In fact, the poll found that on 11 of 12 values, there was a double-digit gap between theists and atheists, with theists more likely to label each value "very important."

http://www.bpnews.net/26675

The demographics of atheism also shows that males are more attracted to atheism than females, as well as high-functioning autistics.

Quote:http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2...LaVbFtLwfk

http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/2...nt-page-1/

Both of these parties show less empathetic responses:

Quote:"Both sexes exhibited empathy-related activation in pain-related brain areas (fronto-insular and anterior cingulate cortices) towards fair players. However, these empathy-related responses were significantly reduced in males when observing an unfair person receiving pain."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2636868/

In regards to those on the austic-spectrum:

Quote:"[Autistic people] struggle with empathy just like zero negatives but it seems to be for very different reasons. I’m arguing that their low empathy is a result of a particular cognitive style, which is attentive to details and patterns or rules, which in shorthand, I call systemizing.

If we think about the autism spectrum as involving a very strong drive to systemize, that can have very positive consequences for the individual and for society. The downside is that when you try to systemize certain parts of the world like people and emotions, those sorts of phenomena are less lawful and harder to systemize. That can lead to having low empathy, almost like a byproduct of strong systemizing."

http://healthland.time.com/2011/05/30/mi...e-of-evil/

While the evidence doesn't suggest that atheism leads to a lack of empathy. It does seem to strongly suggest that those with a declined sense of empathy are attracted to atheism, and perhaps even a driving force for the growing population of unbelievers as a whole.

Another aspects that seems to be supportive of this, is the attraction to strong systemizing among many unbelievers, the appeals to the hard sciences, and methodologies, and perspectives of the world, that are highly dependent on such systemizing aspects, and a derogatory perspective on non-systemizing perspectives, and observations.

The less empathetic we are, whether because of genetic predispositions, or social and environmental factors, the more we seem to be attracted to systematic observations, and atheism. The decline in empathy, and growth of unbelievers is unlikely to be just coincidental, but seems to be a significant contributor to disbelief. This position seems to be strongly supported by a number of studies, several of which I've cited here.

So what. If you think you're making an argument in favor of delusions because delusions produce a more empathetic response, then your attempt fails as Utilitarianism has been demonstrated to be a dangerous slippery slope. What EXACTLY is your point ? Keep the delusions because they seem to produce a better response ?

What an idiot. The studies you cited show no such thing. They *may* show correlation, (not causation). You've invented a completely illusory conclusion and CLAIMED a contribution that is simply a fiction, as you NEED to justify your crapola one way or another. Your desperation is showing, dear.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
14-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Declining Empathy and Atheism
First of all, I'd need to see a demographic of the people interviewed. As I remember from my psych classes, your data is dependent upon the people interviewed.

Also, theists often like to say they forgive and are patient, but it's usually in a vague sense. Such as, "I love you, but you're going to hell. I can't forgive you, because only God can." Then they gossip and quietly hate you behind your back.

But to try to claim we're all autistic, psychopaths, or somehow lack empathy is shallow and ridiculous. And to be honest, it's just a veiled insult to us all.

Can't speak for others, but my empathy grew after admitting I'm atheist.
14-01-2015, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2015 05:17 PM by Free.)
(14-01-2015 11:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  There seems to be an overall decline in empathy among society as whole. There are several studies indicating this:

Quote:"We found the biggest drop in empathy after the year 2000," said Sara Konrath, a researcher at the U-M Institute for Social Research. "College kids today are about 40 percent lower in empathy than their counterparts of 20 or 30 years ago, as measured by standard tests of this personality trait.""

http://ns.umich.edu/new/releases/7724

Another study suggests this decline is more pronounced between believers and unbelievers, often in the double digit range:

Quote:"The survey by a pollster at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada, found that adults who profess a belief in God are significantly more likely than atheists to say that forgiveness, patience, generosity and a concern for others are "very important." In fact, the poll found that on 11 of 12 values, there was a double-digit gap between theists and atheists, with theists more likely to label each value "very important."

http://www.bpnews.net/26675

The demographics of atheism also shows that males are more attracted to atheism than females, as well as high-functioning autistics.

Quote:http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2...LaVbFtLwfk

http://www.scienceandreligiontoday.com/2...nt-page-1/

Both of these parties show less empathetic responses:

Quote:"Both sexes exhibited empathy-related activation in pain-related brain areas (fronto-insular and anterior cingulate cortices) towards fair players. However, these empathy-related responses were significantly reduced in males when observing an unfair person receiving pain."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2636868/

In regards to those on the austic-spectrum:

Quote:"[Autistic people] struggle with empathy just like zero negatives but it seems to be for very different reasons. I’m arguing that their low empathy is a result of a particular cognitive style, which is attentive to details and patterns or rules, which in shorthand, I call systemizing.

If we think about the autism spectrum as involving a very strong drive to systemize, that can have very positive consequences for the individual and for society. The downside is that when you try to systemize certain parts of the world like people and emotions, those sorts of phenomena are less lawful and harder to systemize. That can lead to having low empathy, almost like a byproduct of strong systemizing."

http://healthland.time.com/2011/05/30/mi...e-of-evil/

While the evidence doesn't suggest that atheism leads to a lack of empathy. It does seem to strongly suggest that those with a declined sense of empathy are attracted to atheism, and perhaps even a driving force for the growing population of unbelievers as a whole.

Another aspects that seems to be supportive of this, is the attraction to strong systemizing among many unbelievers, the appeals to the hard sciences, and methodologies, and perspectives of the world, that are highly dependent on such systemizing aspects, and a derogatory perspective on non-systemizing perspectives, and observations.

The less empathetic we are, whether because of genetic predispositions, or social and environmental factors, the more we seem to be attracted to systematic observations, and atheism. The decline in empathy, and growth of unbelievers is unlikely to be just coincidental, but seems to be a significant contributor to disbelief. This position seems to be strongly supported by a number of studies, several of which I've cited here.

This is not a bad thing. It is expected, reasonable, and logical.

Empathy is simply more controlled due to atheism. Emotions are better kept in check because atheists tend to function with a higher level of reason, and less emotion.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
14-01-2015, 07:43 PM
(14-01-2015 02:32 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I thought Dildo said we had to borrow our morals from the Bible?

Like the Bible, Diddo says a lot of things. A lot of stupid things.
15-01-2015, 03:54 AM
I have another trend for you that is also unlikely to be consequential

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7PvLOSCMAEmBKU.jpg

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post
15-01-2015, 04:17 AM
Now, I suppose in some , their atheism can lead to nihilism which nihilism is really it's own thing and has not that much to do with religion directly. However, it is self evident from a simple look around the world that religion causes less empathy in others.

Ask most atheists if they would be fine with the idea of sitting in a mansion with food catered to them and they get to sit in the lap of luxury for free their entire lives and most would say yes...but whats the catch? The catch is that 100 people are going to be tortured every single day as payment for this luxury, which is also going to include many of their family members and suddenly, they won't be too keen on accepting that offer.

Only from religion can we find a moral punishment versus reward system built off eternal bliss where you will eternally be knowing of countless others suffering while you are enjoying yourself. At least here on earth when we enjoy ourselves, we know there is at least something we can still do to strive to help others. For heaven and hell there is literally nothing that can be done to help those in hell as nowhere in the bible does it ever record anyone "getting out" after being sentence there for eternity in punishment.

Not to mention the symbol of atheism is the letter A because that is what Atheism starts with.

The symbol of Christianity is a symbol that has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity aside from the fact that it is a device much older then the religion that was used for torture and death.

A device used for torture and death the sign of ultimate divine good, love and justice? Not to mention that if Jesus was executed in any other way, such as the brazen bull or sawing. That would be the symbol instead of the cross.

People would be walking around with a bull on their necks with a mans head sticking out its ass symbolizing the man inside! How would that make for a holy symbol? hmm?

Finally, you must also consider the other parts of Atheism known as humanism.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
15-01-2015, 04:33 AM
To the OP: Have you been in the personal issues and support section of this forum?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-01-2015, 07:03 AM

So when asked the question: "How do you rate the importance of the biblically mandated fruits of the spirit?"

Believers were more inclined than non-believers to mark them "very important"?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.