Declining Empathy and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2015, 07:30 AM
RE: Declining Empathy and Atheism
(14-01-2015 01:41 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What would less empathy indicate in society?

Just less empathy I guess. It doesn't seem to indicate growing crime rates, or violence, or anything else really. It would likely mean less sense of communal togetherness, compassionate concern for the lives of others, less of a desire to be involved in such things.

But the affects of these things will likely be offset by other concerns. In order for me to escape community, I have to be a part of a society that allows me the capacity to withdraw from it, like a State that takes on much of the roles communities once did, but with less involvement in our daily lives, a state that sustains our economic and material well being, and affords us oppurtinites to engage the world in whatever perspective we want. The most accommodating society would be ones that require very little communal effort from us, with little need to toil or bleed for others or others to do so for us.

Those of us who desire just a slight tinge of communication, to share our views and perspectives with others, have places like this and other online outlets, with a sense of friendship void of all the messy stuff that comes with real human relationships, with no one to peer into our inner lives, or see anything beyond the fabricated selves we easily display here.

It's a great time to be less empathetic in my view. No moment has ever been more accommodating.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2015, 07:34 AM
Why don't we have God do the poll?

Forgiveness? Fuck that, people I don't like can burn in hell forever. -10 out of 10.
Patience? Hmmm... I can't think of any examples of God being impatient. I'll give him 10 out of 10 for that. After all, he was alone for billions of years before he arbitrarily decided to make the Earth for fuck-all reason other than to troll the inhabitants 6000 years later.
Generosity? ... I gave you your miserable life, now bow down to me and grovel for the duration of your pitiful existence. -10 out of 10.
Concern for others: ... Given the number of genocides in the Bible I'm gonna score a nice -10 out of 10 for God on this one.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
15-01-2015, 07:38 AM
(15-01-2015 07:30 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Just less empathy I guess. It doesn't seem to indicate growing crime rates, or violence, or anything else really. It would likely mean less sense of communal togetherness, compassionate concern for the lives of others, less of a desire to be involved in such things.

Do you actually have numbers on this, or is this just your anecdotal assumption?

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
[+] 4 users Like thesummerqueen's post
15-01-2015, 07:45 AM
(15-01-2015 07:38 AM)thesummerqueen Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 07:30 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Just less empathy I guess. It doesn't seem to indicate growing crime rates, or violence, or anything else really. It would likely mean less sense of communal togetherness, compassionate concern for the lives of others, less of a desire to be involved in such things.

Do you actually have numbers on this, or is this just your anecdotal assumption?

Yes.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-01-2015, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2015 08:21 AM by Tomasia.)
(14-01-2015 05:12 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  But to try to claim we're all autistic, psychopaths, or somehow lack empathy is shallow and ridiculous. And to be honest, it's just a veiled insult to us all.

Can't speak for others, but my empathy grew after admitting I'm atheist.

I don't recall calling all atheists autistic, psychopaths, immoral deviants, or anything of the sort. In fact my post lack any real moral judgement. People who are less empathetic than average or with diminished sense of it, for the most part they tend to still be upright citizens, obey the laws, respects each others rights, pay taxes, etc...My post doesn't say much of anything about the actual behavior of atheists, but I do think it sheds light on a certain peculiarity of perspectives, one that we might find an abundance of among unbeliever types, but found only rarely among believers.

Atheists tend to focus of systemizing perspectives, seem to be disproportionately interested in views, and subjects that appease this particular frame of looking at the world. A world they imagine is best accommodated for reason, and rational thinking. One they can participate and observe, from the outside, as objective viewers. Even their proposed moral philosophies, and such are written like one might imagine an engineering text book would be written, even though such philosophies are concerned with our relationship with others.

The world they project, call into observance, that they share with others, is consciously stripped of all feeling, made into seemingly magnificent set of churning gears, but with no heart or soul. The world of religions, is too touchy feely, to emotionally composed and charged for them to see anything desirable about it. Too fluffy to be even remotely attractive.

It's not as if the decline of churches, the loss of people in the pews, is churning out godless assemblies to take it's place. It's not as if one is abandoning the community of the church, for another community of unbelievers, but rather is a departure from community all together (though there are outliers of course).

In theory atheism is just a lack of belief in God, in practice it tends to come with a package deal, that is just as appealing. Again this isn't to say that atheists are any less than theists, but there does seems to be a great deal of differences, beyond just one party believing in God, and that other just lacking this one thing. At the end of the day they are just two people with seemingly differing aesthetics, not one any better than the other.
15-01-2015, 08:15 AM
I'm still wondering where your objective evidence for this is...

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
15-01-2015, 08:23 AM
(15-01-2015 08:15 AM)thesummerqueen Wrote:  I'm still wondering where your objective evidence for this is...

Atheist bashers and bible thumpers seem to have a hard time with the whole "evidence" concept. Do not hold your breath.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
15-01-2015, 08:30 AM
(15-01-2015 08:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  People who are less empathetic than average or with diminished sense of it, for the most part they tend to still be upright citizens, obey the laws, respects each others rights, pay taxes, etc...My post doesn't say much of anything about the actual behavior of atheists, but I do think it sheds light on a certain peculiarity of perspectives, one that we might find an abundance of among unbeliever types, but found only rarely among believers.

Yeah we get that you like to make assumptions about people you don't know without any hard data. Let's see that data for all your unsupported opinions. How exactly do you know what you claim to know, or presume to know. How do you determine what is "average empathy" ? What does that even mean ?

Are you saying that people who convert from one position to another also CHANGE their empathic nature ? Facepalm

Maybe someday, you'll find the clue store, and buy one or two.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-01-2015, 08:35 AM
I think in general these days there is a whole lot more empathy than there used to be in our society.

We try to make sure that no one is imprisoned unjustly, that conditions in prisons are decent, that children are not abused, that people are not being discriminated against for whatever makes them different from the majority, even an inkling of empathy for animals is starting to raise.

It wasn't that long ago that gays were ostracized, blacks were enslaved, women were inferior, children were property and so on and so on.

Along with the raise of atheism came a rise of societal empathy. So, what are you on about, really?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-01-2015, 08:37 AM
(15-01-2015 08:23 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 08:15 AM)thesummerqueen Wrote:  I'm still wondering where your objective evidence for this is...

Atheist bashers and bible thumpers seem to have a hard time with the whole "evidence" concept. Do not hold your breath.

I never change my breathing habits for anyone except during blow jobs. Make a guess at how many bible thumpers deserve that.

Truthfully, I keep asking because some day, one of them might surprise me, and because it's fun to continually ask a simple question and let a person reveal how ignorant they are, or how big of an asshole they are, by continually not answering it.

Albert Camus
[+] 8 users Like thesummerqueen's post