Deconstruction of "The Case for Christ"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Deconstruction of "The Case for Christ"
I'm almost certain it was somebody from this forum who turned me on to a YouTube poster named Steve Shibles. Whomever it was, thank you thank you thank you. This guy is awesome.

For those following along, he recently posted Chapter 9's deconstruction of Lee Strobel's apologist book "The Case for Christ". If you haven't been watching these, you should! This guy is incredibly rational and very smart, and his videos are well-edited. Anyway, that's enough of that, I'm not here to jerk the guy off. I just want to share with you atheists something nice.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Starcrash's post
10-03-2012, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 07:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Deconstruction of "The Case for Christ"
(10-03-2012 04:25 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  This guy is incredibly rational and very smart, and his videos are well-edited.

Yeah it's good, but I found myself watching the cat. ... Think I'll go check out some more of his vids to see if the cat ain't the real star. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-03-2012, 07:27 PM
(10-03-2012 07:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 04:25 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  This guy is incredibly rational and very smart, and his videos are well-edited.

Yeah it's good, but I found myself watching the cat. ... Think I'll go check out some more of his vids to see if the cat ain't the real star. Wink

I just watched the intro to this series. The cat did make a cameo appearance.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
10-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Cool video. I'll have to watch it all soon... but I thought we proved that Batman was a catholic?
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
10-03-2012, 07:44 PM
(10-03-2012 07:30 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Cool video. I'll have to watch it all soon...

Watch the cat ... be the cat. Wink

10-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Yeah, he's got some good stuff. his "riffing on mail call" and "5 stupid things" are also good.

A theist and an atheist go to heaven.
theist: "See! There is a heaven."
atheist: "So, you consider heaven a joke too?"
------
Defy gravity... stand up.
10-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks, I enjoyed that. The cat was funny. The cat in fact may be smarter than us by simply ignoring Stroebel.

17:00-18:41 total pwnage

Stroebel is such a tool. He's just a continuation of the Josh McDowell school, you know: "Look at all these Ph.D's who agree with me about the trustworthiness and historicity of the Bible!" Vapid arguments from authority, all of them.

Jesus was "sinless"? Jesus defends slavery, says clearly that "The Jews" are children of the Devil in John, and lies by stating that they have "killed of their prophets," so yeah, I for one think that's pretty sinful. Perhaps some of the Holocaust Deniers on this board think otherwise.
[+] 5 users Like Blood's post
10-03-2012, 08:56 PM
(10-03-2012 08:19 PM)Blood Wrote:  Thanks, I enjoyed that. The cat was funny. The cat in fact may be smarter than us by simply ignoring Stroebel.

Be the cat. Wink

10-03-2012, 09:55 PM
I have watched his videos on the criticism of the book and I have to agree with him. I actually read "The Case for Faith" and it's pretty much the same stuff. In my opinion, the author's books can pretty much be summed up as follows:

- Situation given on "opposite view" to "put self in opposing situation" followed by interview with "guy with PHD", assumption that guy with PHD must be right... because PHD
- Interview with "Previous atheist turned theist" offering opinionated views and "proof" that of course... would require faith...
- Offering of "proof" from more guys with PHDs, but proof suggested is only suggestions of other things which "have no reason not to be valid" (such as "the case for faith" where they suggest that the bible has just as much validity as any other book from that time period, therefore, the bible must have merit and such... etc etc... but we know this does not make it proof..)

This falls back to a lot of Argumentum ad nauseam, Argumentum ad verecundiam and Argumentum ad numerum to sum it up.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
10-03-2012, 11:09 PM
(10-03-2012 08:19 PM)Blood Wrote:  Thanks, I enjoyed that. The cat was funny. The cat in fact may be smarter than us by simply ignoring Stroebel.

17:00-18:41 total pwnage

Stroebel is such a tool. He's just a continuation of the Josh McDowell school, you know: "Look at all these Ph.D's who agree with me about the trustworthiness and historicity of the Bible!" Vapid arguments from authority, all of them.

Jesus was "sinless"? Jesus defends slavery, says clearly that "The Jews" are children of the Devil in John, and lies by stating that they have "killed of their prophets," so yeah, I for one think that's pretty sinful. Perhaps some of the Holocaust Deniers on this board think otherwise.

Ah, there's a blast from the past. Good old Josh McDowell, now known for his "Left Behind" rapture stories, but back in the day, Super Apologist after writing the epic atheist slayer: Evidence That Demands A Verdict.

[Image: ccdf024128a0f02b35253010.L.jpg]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post