Deconstruction of "The Case for Christ"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2012, 12:27 AM
RE: Deconstruction of "The Case for Christ"
Have you actually read it? One of the worst written books in the entire Jesus Inc. industry. Mindless apologetics pretending to be scholarship.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Blood's post
11-03-2012, 05:31 AM
(10-03-2012 11:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ah, there's a blast from the past. Good old Josh McDowell, now known for his "Left Behind" rapture stories, but back in the day, Super Apologist after writing the epic atheist slayer: Evidence That Demands A Verdict.

Some mate of mine passed that on to me once.

I couldn't get past the first few pages. It's quite a thick chunk of wood, and mindless drivel from page 1. I just left it on the shelf for a year then gave it back to him. The problem is you give it back and say "I haven't read it, it was total shit" and the guy looks at you and says "Yeah, you're really open minded". At which point I beat him to death with my rubber duck.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-03-2012, 10:11 AM
(11-03-2012 05:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 11:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ah, there's a blast from the past. Good old Josh McDowell, now known for his "Left Behind" rapture stories, but back in the day, Super Apologist after writing the epic atheist slayer: Evidence That Demands A Verdict.

I couldn't get past the first few pages. It's quite a thick chunk of wood, and mindless drivel from page 1. I just left it on the shelf for a year then gave it back to him. The problem is you give it back and say "I haven't read it, it was total shit" and the guy looks at you and says "Yeah, you're really open minded". At which point I beat him to death with my rubber duck.

Dude, you really have a thing with the killer birds, don't you? Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-03-2012, 05:39 PM

My dad gave me a copy. I've read the first 2 chapters and had way too many "WTF?" moments. So mindless... Particularly the bit about the uniqueness of the Bible... I had to laugh at the historical accuracy part, especially since 1 chapter later he's explaining that historical accuracy was one of the factors that determined whether books were made into the canon. Funny how its accuracy is something special, which you'd expect if the church was intentionally weeding out the inaccurate bits. The fact that they failed and there's still a good amount of mistakes makes his statement even more hilarious.

Better without God, and happier too.
11-03-2012, 06:11 PM
(11-03-2012 05:39 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  

My dad gave me a copy. I've read the first 2 chapters and had way too many "WTF?" moments. So mindless... Particularly the bit about the uniqueness of the Bible... I had to laugh at the historical accuracy part, especially since 1 chapter later he's explaining that historical accuracy was one of the factors that determined whether books were made into the canon. Funny how its accuracy is something special, which you'd expect if the church was intentionally weeding out the inaccurate bits. The fact that they failed and there's still a good amount of mistakes makes his statement even more hilarious.

Sadly, I was exposed to this sort of apologetics as a pre-teen so naturally I based all later beliefs on the idea that the Bible is unique and Christianity is not a religion but a relationship so it trumps all other philosophical or religious arguments.

What a crock.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
13-03-2012, 01:29 AM
(10-03-2012 04:25 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  

Looks like a young Dave Attell...

[Image: dave_attell.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
13-03-2012, 05:47 AM
(10-03-2012 04:25 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I'm not here to jerk the guy off.

Hmmn... Tongue

I heard about the book, but the only "case for Christ" that makes sense to me is the Pauline Israelite hypothesis... and I ain't even interested in making a case for Paul. Big Grin

I go look at vid now...

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-03-2012, 10:48 PM

[Image: ccdf024128a0f02b35253010.L.jpg]

I still have this book. I used to think it was so good when I was a Christian, and now I see it as laughably awful. It just shows you the difference between how atheists and theists define "evidence".

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post