Deconversion

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-12-2010, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2010 12:01 AM by TheKetola.)
Deconversion
I'm curious as to how you'd go about deconverting someone, I did it accidentally when I was younger, but now I want to understand how to save my friends from a fantasy world of church taxes (aka tithe), pointless guilt, and unfounded hatred. My biggest questions here are:

Who to deconvert? (It's hard to say if those of a religious faith (mostly Christianity in my area) are doing good things because they are good people, or because of the promise of reward)

Where to start?

How would/have you gone about it?

What are some of your experiences?

EDIT: I should probably add that I grew out of my theism, so I really don't have an experience to work from.

Also, I think that there are three major causal factors of theism:
1. Upbringing
2. Sensitivity in the right temperal lobe (google God Helmet)
3. Fear of mortality/reality

Some minor causal factors that I have recognized are:
Victim of propoganda (gullibility), sheepish mentality (can't think for themself, just like Jesus alludes to in the gospels, and really is foreshadowed throughout the bible), stubborness...

If you have any causal factors you think I need to add to the list, please post and explain your reasoning. I figure if we can better understand causes then we will have better luck at a cure.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2010, 11:25 PM
RE: Deconversion
I think it can only really happen by accident.

As atheist is the lack of religion there isn't really much common ground to start on. It's not like converting someone from believing in God to believing in multiple gods or from believing in Allah to believing in Buddha.

Religious people need something to believe in, and atheist doesn't really have that. You can try, but it's gonna happen by accident whatever you do.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
19-12-2010, 11:47 PM
I think it's more that they want something to believe in, that I very much agree with. A lot of Christians, after having completely lost in all manners of converting resort to "would you rather believe in a meaningless and random existence, or one created by a loving and caring God?" (which that second part is a lie after reading the bible) Do you suppose there could be a way to purposely help them see how blind this view is? Especially if they are intelligent?
20-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Only if they are rational people will you have a chance. Two of the best de-brainwashers are science and the bible. An interest in science is very enlightening and can draw people to rational thinking. The bible works for some who want to know god better, and end up appalled by what they read in the bible. Reading the whole bible has turned even a few priests into atheists.
20-12-2010, 04:07 AM
Sometimes it's hard to convince someone to give up on beliefs.
For me , someone just said they were an atheist and I started researching what it meant , then why do people reject theism , then history and finally 6 months later I abandoned all religious beliefs.
Don't go the active way , and try to de-convert.Go the passive way and just state your opinion or answer any questions.It's better if people reach their own conclusions.
20-12-2010, 03:30 PM

This is a difficult thing to do and I've only done it to a few people. The most you can ever do is make people question their religion. They have to realize it is bullshit themselves. Never be argumentative, and never be arrogant or mean.

Don't be an obviously crusading atheist, as people will turn away from you like they do to a religious fundamentalist. Speaking of them, don't waste your time trying to convert them, they will never see your side.

Be learned in the arguments of atheism and the counters of theism. Kindly shoot down all of their points until they have no reason to believe anymore. Don't push it either. If you've won them over, don't tell them to stop going to church if they go with their family.
Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2010, 01:13 AM
Any good passive-agressive approaches that you'd suggest for a friend? Maybe conversation starters to get them thinking?