Deconversion Success Stories?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Deconversion Success Stories?
I've "known" a woman online for about 4 years now. She's what I would call moderately religious. We've had religious debates and talks, all ending in us understanding that we get along so well because we are both stubborn and just know we're right. A few months ago, she found out her kidney (her other one was removed) is failing. We are both "doing what we can" to make her better. I have talked to her son about the doctors in her area and helped with getting appointments set up while she's prayed. She came to me today and told me she is starting to doubt her faith because without me, an atheist, she wouldn't be receiving the help she is getting. She refuses to believe (unlike before) that god will come to help her in the form of an atheist and my "seeds of doubt" that I planted 4 years ago are finally starting to sprout their flowers of knowledge in her. It's a great day....okay rambling now...but I wanted to see if anybody here has successfully talked sense into a theist or helped them to think for themselves. Any good stories about it?

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kellyrm's post
05-02-2014, 10:48 AM
RE: Deconversion Success Stories?
I don't have any interesting story to offer here, but I'm glad I could at least turn a couple of people from "there may be a God" to "there probably isn't any God".

This woman is probably smart enough to realize the truth, but change is always painful. I have many religious friends but I haven't tried going into debates with them because I can see that making them face reality would hurt them. Even if they're smart enough to know what the truth is, it's too painful for them to reject faith.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
05-02-2014, 10:52 AM
(05-02-2014 10:48 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I don't have any interesting story to offer here, but I'm glad I could at least turn a couple of people from "there may be a God" to "there probably isn't any God".

This woman is probably smart enough to realize the truth, but change is always painful. I have many religious friends but I haven't tried going into debates with them because I can see that making them face reality would hurt them. Even if they're smart enough to know what the truth is, it's too painful for them to reject faith.

I do see a lot of people use religion as a cushion~it's comforting, and that's fine by me! But when I see a person who is going into kidney failure do NOTHING because she's sure god will fix it, I gotta open my mouth Smile Religion is already quietly (or not so quietly?) ruining the world~but it hits harder when you see it destroying lives on a personal level.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
05-02-2014, 11:13 AM
(05-02-2014 10:52 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  I do see a lot of people use religion as a cushion~it's comforting, and that's fine by me! But when I see a person who is going into kidney failure do NOTHING because she's sure god will fix it, I gotta open my mouth Smile Religion is already quietly (or not so quietly?) ruining the world~but it hits harder when you see it destroying lives on a personal level.

My brother and his wife are both devout born-again Christians. They both want children and the wife has not been able to conceive. Our parents offered them IVF and the wife refused because they were told at the church that they would soon have a child. The wife has now just hit the menopause.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
05-02-2014, 11:15 AM
(05-02-2014 10:52 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  I do see a lot of people use religion as a cushion~it's comforting, and that's fine by me! But when I see a person who is going into kidney failure do NOTHING because she's sure god will fix it, I gotta open my mouth Smile Religion is already quietly (or not so quietly?) ruining the world~but it hits harder when you see it destroying lives on a personal level.

Exactly. My best friend is also moderately religious and whenever I mention how bad religion is for society she almost gets angry and says "I don't see this affecting me".

However she doesn't realize that she only has religion to blame for the fact that, as a lesbian, she cannot get married and have kids legally.

A Christian lesbian. Who would have thought?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
05-02-2014, 11:21 AM
The hypocrisy of homosexual christians is beyond me~I'll never understand why they are adamant about defending a faith that denies them basic rights!

05-02-2014, 11:22 AM
(05-02-2014 11:13 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  

My brother and his wife are both devout born-again Christians. They both want children and the wife has not been able to conceive. Our parents offered them IVF and the wife refused because they were told at the church that they would soon have a child. The wife has now just hit the menopause.

While this is a sad story (ya know, for somebody who wanted kids), these types of people will just say it wasn't in god's plan for them to have kids~and that pisses me off! So many people waste their lives chasing a fantasy that they miss out on great opportunities!

[+] 2 users Like kellyrm's post
05-02-2014, 11:48 AM
(05-02-2014 11:22 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  While this is a sad story (ya know, for somebody who wanted kids), these types of people will just say it wasn't in god's plan for them to have kids~and that pisses me off! So many people waste their lives chasing a fantasy that they miss out on great opportunities!

True. My brother actually wanted her to have IVF and my parents are also not going to have grandchildren solely because someone in a church decided to give her false hope so that they could feel good at the time when giving it.

Some people waste their own lives chasing a fantasy. Others waste other people's lives giving them a fantasy to chase.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
05-02-2014, 11:54 AM
(05-02-2014 11:48 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 11:22 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  While this is a sad story (ya know, for somebody who wanted kids), these types of people will just say it wasn't in god's plan for them to have kids~and that pisses me off! So many people waste their lives chasing a fantasy that they miss out on great opportunities!

True. My brother actually wanted her to have IVF and my parents are also not going to have grandchildren solely because someone in a church decided to give her false hope so that they could feel good at the time when giving it.

Some people waste their own lives chasing a fantasy. Others waste other people's lives giving them a fantasy to chase.

It's a damn shame, really. Especially when it comes to children that trust their parents and know nothing but what they're taught...lights my fire every time I think about it!

05-02-2014, 01:17 PM
I've had a few debates with catholic friends. Some understand and listen to what I have to say . Some are in denial. You sense that they almost "get it" but then fear kicks in. They have that "what if " moment, and decide it's maybe best to keep believing in God, just as an insurance policy. Fear is used to great effect by the church.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post