Deconversion Success Stories?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2014, 01:21 PM
RE: Deconversion Success Stories?
(05-02-2014 01:17 PM)Marozz Wrote:  I've had a few debates with catholic friends. Some understand and listen to what I have to say . Some are in denial. You sense that they almost "get it" but then fear kicks in. They have that "what if " moment, and decide it's maybe best to keep believing in God, just as an insurance policy. Fear is used to great effect by the church.

That's absolutely true. They may feel like they have nothing to lose by believing...but huge risks if they acknowledge their doubts. That seems natural to me, but at the same time I look at religion on the larger scale~what it's doing to society, etc. On a personal level, I couldn't care less if people believe or not. But when it comes to making laws, education, and things that affect ME, I do have an issue.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kellyrm's post
05-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Shame that it takes something as life threatening as liver failure to open a persons eyes to the truth.

What a wasted life... because of some make believe friend in the sky. Sadcryface

Your a good friend to help her Kelly. Yes
05-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Ahh, you can't directly convert theists.
They have to find out themselves. Like 99% of the people in the "recovering from religion" thread, they all weren't converted, they found out themselves.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
05-02-2014, 03:34 PM
My Christian friends actually helped play a big role in my deconversion. One friend used to hold bible study at her house for several years and was a much 'better' Christian than I was. When I started questioning I would share some of my questions with her and the answers she gave made me question more and actually made me suspect that the religion was bullshit.
[+] 3 users Like Noelani's post
05-02-2014, 03:39 PM
(05-02-2014 11:21 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  The hypocrisy of homosexual christians is beyond me~I'll never understand why they are adamant about defending a faith that denies them basic rights!

They believe that Christian faith is true, and that they are sinners (unless she's found a weasel way around it ?). It's more sad than hypocrisy IMO. They have these urges but they feel bad about them because they know they're sinful Sad Just God gave them a raw deal, no biggie...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-02-2014, 03:55 PM
I once made a remark to a good friend about the lack of gods. I had wrongly assumed he was atheist. Later, because of what I had said, he began to doubt his long held beliefs.

Long story short, a few months later he emailed me and said he'd officially quit his church and was reading more about the bible and mythology.

I'm am sorry about your friend. It's good she has you to support her and lend her a hand.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

06-02-2014, 05:11 PM
My best friend was a Christian growing up, but later into High School and into his early college days he lapsed a little bit, as in not going to church, not really praying much, not being a very good Christian, but he always still believed. Then he switched his minor to comparative religions because he thought it was interesting, but it got him thinking about how he had ditched his own faith a bit, so he became a big time born again Christian.

Now, this guy is also one of the smartest, most logical people I have ever known, and before his born again Christian phase came along religion wasn't much of a topic of conversation between the two of us. However, when he started preaching about it on facebook, and quoting bible verses to me, I took every chance I got to spark the critical thinker in him. I did this by asking questions, not being abrasive, but just asking simple questions so that he would have to think about what he believed to answer. Doing this started to make the logic he always had come out, and before you knew it, he was doubting everything and today, is a full fledged atheist.
[+] 2 users Like mrlmichael's post