Deconversion , bad thing or good thing ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Deconversion , bad thing or good thing ?
I don't know if I'm in the good section but I will say what I need to say.
All my life I had only a goal (real goal) who was to go in heaven.
Now I realised that there are maybe no afterlife.
All begin there are some years (between three and six I can't remember) I saw that there are things who are similar to Christianity in Pagan religions. I don't analysed these things because I thought something like that (FR : C'est faux EN : This is false). Some years after this event I did researches about the Bible and I saw that the Bible is a selection of text.
I read a translation of the Bible in French and I didn't saw contradictions or mistakes (except the Genesis but for me it was a story to explain the sin and others things of this kind).
When I read the old testament I thought a thing of this kind (FR : pourquoi dieu demande de tuer tous ces gens ? EN : Why god ask to kill all these people ?).
After I thought that this is the god's plan therefore that is logic because this is a divine punition (logic a strange word for that).
When I finalised to read the two testaments I was satisfy because I read the Bible and the majority of Christians and non-christians inhabitant in the western world never read this book or rather this library.
Later I saw that there are contradictions and mistakes with the official history in the old and the new testament.

Conclusion : There are maybe an explication to confirm Christianity but I suppose that find an explication for all these things is very complex and probably that this explication doesn't exist.
I didn't give many details in my text because this is already long.
If you want to know more contact me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2013, 07:13 PM
RE: Deconversion , bad thing or good thing ?
(03-06-2013 01:44 PM)viocjit Wrote:  this explication {for Christianity } doesn't exist.

I agree.Thumbsup

time to make a new, more realistic goal.

Shy

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
03-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Welcome to the dark side Hobo

Seriously though I can't tell you whether deconversion is a good thing. You said in your other thread that most people you know don't care much about religion, so i guess it wouldn't affect your life too much, if you somehow come to the conclusion that you are e.g. an atheist. Especially if you are from france (my guess)... I'm from switzerland, we are probably more religious than you folks and yet no one here cares about religion Wink

But since you imo can't really decide this wholly consciously, your deconversion will or will not happen whether you like it or not. Nonetheless i think having one less wrong or probably wrong conception about the world is in itself a good thing.

Wish you luck on your journey
03-06-2013, 09:45 PM
I can tell you that deconversion is definitely a good thing. You are assessing serious doubts, about obvious errors in the scriptures, and beginning to realize that the evidence of what is in the bible, does not add up to what you have been told.

This is a process that will bring you out of myth, and help you to discover truth about reality. I can't imagine discovering the truth about the universe being a bad thing.

I can tell this also, the harder you look at all of this, the more it will all fall apart. Once you start deconverting, you have to completely lie to yourself to return to your former delusion. If you are a person of conviction, who cares more for what is right and correct, than for what feels the best, or comforts you the most, you will cast aside your former faith, and embrace reality.

Religion, rather than acting as a symbol of truth or justice, merely acts as a symbol of human gullibility and stupidity. Surely no race of beings with any real intelligence would concoct such drivel.
04-06-2013, 11:55 AM
@ALL Thanks for yours answers. Yours answers make me think.
[+] 1 user Likes viocjit's post
04-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Deconversion is always a good thing. Just as cutting out a cancer is always a good thing.

Any reprocutions from your deconversion (be they positive or negative) are purely incidental.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2013, 07:36 AM
The answers about the question are causing the OP to think. Thought brings questioning. I was raised in a church with moderate views and as a young child I wanted to be with Jesus by the way he was depicted in the pictures presented to children. By the time I was 13 I'd begun to question many aspects of the bible and what we were taught. I was taught to not take it literally but to look at the overall meaning of what had been written. But science was disproving the bible in leaps and bounds and this is when I became filled with doubt. Over many years the doubt has remained with my questioning the basis of my doubt. This spring I realized I cannot believe in something without substantiated evidence. The inner conflict is gone and I feel at peace.
08-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Update : I saw many documents about Atheism and Christianity.
I must see dozens of documents and after I will choice between Atheism and Christianity.

I can say that Atheism is probably the truth but if I make the bad choice I will have the pleasure to know hell (ironic ton).
Anybody have information who can explain how the OT was invented and why ?
08-06-2013, 01:55 PM
(08-06-2013 10:36 AM)viocjit Wrote:  Update : I saw many documents about Atheism and Christianity.
I must see dozens of documents and after I will choice between Atheism and Christianity.

I can say that Atheism is probably the truth but if I make the bad choice I will have the pleasure to know hell (ironic ton).
Anybody have information who can explain how the OT was invented and why ?

Perhaps the understanding of them may not be what you think they are.

Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods. It is nothing more than the stance on your belief in a god or gods. There is agnostic which means you don't or can't know. There is gnostic meaning you can or do know. There is also theist meaning you believe in a god.

With the above, this means there can be:

Agnostic atheists: You don't know if there is a god, or you can't know if there is a god, but you lack belief in a god.

Gnostic atheist: You know for certain there is no god.

Agnostic theists: You don't know if there is a god, or can't know, but believe in a god.

Gnostic theists: You know for certain there is a god.

I've always felt that gnostic atheist or theist is a dishonest stance since I see no way that there is any way for any of us to know for certain one way or another. I think agnostic theist or atheist is a more honest stance.

The other thing is that you don't simply just choose to "start lacking belief in a god" - you either have a reason to abstain from your belief in a god be it lack of evidence or various other reasons, or you have some other reason to lack belief in said deity.

I think a more important thing to consider is what your goal is completely. If your goal is to either believe or not believe in a god, then there is something else you need to consider: How do you know? You'll find that many of us are skeptics. As it has been said many times on here (and added in one of my favorite signatures here): Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims. Science is not a subject, but a method.

With this comes caring deeply about what is true, what is real, reality in itself. There is a lot of woo out there. Lots of pseudoscience, a lot of claims of ridiculous things and of course there are a lot of these things that sound good to us because we want them to be true. Just because we want something to be true does not mean that it is true, however.

I made some personal goals through my deconversion and one of them was to care more about sources of information and understanding and caring more about what was true than what sounded good to me. This meant reading up on cognitive bias and understanding it more. We all do it. I would highly recommend this as a read for you:

http://io9.com/5974468/the-most-common-c...g-rational

As well, the other most common form of bias is confirmation bias which means that as a person finds things that agree with their viewpoint, they tend to ignore other forms of data that don't agree with their viewpoint, making it difficult to understand the big picture or hold scrutiny to their own view.

So is the goal to believe or not believe in a god the realistic goal?
Or is it easier and more realistic to set a goal such as: "I'm going to care more about what is true than what sounds good to me, even if reality sometimes isn't what I expect or want it to be."

Just some thoughts - I've been through a deconversion from Christianity (I was a Christian for almost 20 years of my life) and decided enough was enough and I was going to go search down what was true, rather than what sounded good. I don't even worry about the concept of a god much at all anymore. I enjoy reading on some of that stuff, but it's far from a primary focus for me at all anymore.

This forum is filled with great people with great advice and lots of personal experiences - One way or another, I hope you find what you are looking for Smile Life is beautiful, and a terrible thing to waste.