Deconversion in progress

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2015, 12:27 PM
RE: Deconversion in progress
Welcome!

I hope you find what you are looking for! Big Grin

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LostLegend's post
24-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Welcome. I think you will find a lot to think about here. Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-07-2015, 04:45 PM
(23-07-2015 07:13 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  My first questions arose from the discrepancies between how my fellow christians actually acted, and how the preacher was telling us to!

Welcome! Shy

It was hypocrisy that pushed me along the way to look at religion with a more skeptical eye.

Just looking at how supposed Christians treat others (even other Christians) was something I couldn't reconcile...even as a kid. Thankfully mom didn't give a shit about The Church and dad was more a cultural Catholic and not a believer.

So - buh bye church and all the trappings.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
25-07-2015, 04:04 PM
(24-07-2015 04:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Just looking at how supposed Christians treat others (even other Christians) was something I couldn't reconcile...even as a kid.

Atheists are more Christian than most Christians.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-07-2015, 05:01 PM
GirlyMan - I had a friend who was an eucharistic minister (for those who don't know, they're a layperson who goes around to peoples' homes on Sundays, giving the Eucharist to those Catholics who cannot attend Mass for medical or similar reasons, their crackers-and-wine having been blessed by a Priest in advance), and he told me one of the biggest things he struggled with was reconciling the fact that I, his only atheist acquaintance/friend, behaved in a manner more "Christ-like" than that of almost anyone in his parish. It was a really nice thing to say, but it did make me feel bad to see him "wrestling" (his word) with the issue in his prayers. That's why I love the Ghandi quotation about the issue:

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
25-07-2015, 05:03 PM
(25-07-2015 05:01 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

OTOH Bertrand Russell pointed out that JC was a vindictive son of a bitch on occasion.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
25-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Deconversion in progress
Welcome. Sounds like an interesting story. I also hope you find the answers you're looking for. Theres some good people here to answer any questions you might have. Of course, as someone said, always check both sides and research it yourself. Welcome

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes smileXsmileXsmile's post
26-07-2015, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2015 07:15 AM by Octapulse.)
(25-07-2015 05:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-07-2015 05:01 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

OTOH Bertrand Russell pointed out that JC was a vindictive son of a bitch on occasion.
That made me think that the reason why jeebus flipped his shit over the moneychangers was because the real creators of the story wanted to guarantee the concession rights . . .

Which also explains why all other acts of sin in the new testament were forgiven, but Ananius and Saphira were killed instantly for stealing god's money

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2015, 08:19 AM
(23-07-2015 06:29 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  I have been a Christian for the better part of twenty years. I have been involved in ministry, attended bible college and was one of those guys that would approach you on the street to talk about Jesus. There have been many things that have irked me about the Christian experience over the years, and those irkings have grown into nagging suspicions. I am currently in the process of finally taking a fully objective look at what I believed with an open mind that it could be100% bullshit. I am thankful for this forum and look forward to interacting with many of you and sharing what I've seen that makes me suspicious. Thanks for having me!

Welcome aboard....I made a similar journey, glad you broke free of delusion. For me, the more I learned, the less I believed. I sought knowledge of the basis of my faith to solidify it, to strengthen it, and the opposite happened. Let me know if you need anything or have any questions. Lots of resources here. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post