Deconverted Overnight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2017, 04:11 PM
RE: Deconverted Overnight
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I'm glad to hear there are other stories like mine.

The truth remains true even after you question it. Funny how religions don't want you questioning them. Censored
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BrianChariott's post
27-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Glad you made the intellectual choice. I would say your process of deconversion started a long time ago though.
You finally gave in the instant you started using logic as the basis for your beliefs.
Quick question: Are you an Agnostic Atheist or a Gnostic Atheist?
I.e.
Do you say you don't know if there is a God or do you believe God does not exist?
I'm Agnostic if my name didn't already give it away.
Congrats on making the intellectually honest choice.
27-01-2017, 06:37 PM
One WHOLE day ?
Wow.
That's a long time.

Tongue

Hello

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-01-2017, 10:23 PM
(27-01-2017 06:20 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Glad you made the intellectual choice. I would say your process of deconversion started a long time ago though.
You finally gave in the instant you started using logic as the basis for your beliefs.
I.e.
Do you say you don't know if there is a God or do you believe God does not exist?
I would say I'm a gnostic atheist or a 6.99 on the Dawkins scale. I'm quite well-versed in the field of physics and realize the universe runs just fine without a god; just some fundamental laws of nature is all it needs. And if for some far-fetched reason a supernatural entity created those laws but since then has not interacted with our universe, such an entity would be apathetic to being worshiped as a god. I've also studied the origins of each of the major religions, so even if I can't say a god doesn't exist, I can say their god definitely doesn't exist.

The truth remains true even after you question it. Funny how religions don't want you questioning them. Censored
[+] 1 user Likes BrianChariott's post
27-01-2017, 11:30 PM
Welcome aboard!
27-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Welcome to the forum. That's quite the story.

There's a Dawkins Scale now? Hopefully there's a cream for that.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
28-01-2017, 05:39 AM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2017 06:03 AM by Agnostic Shane.)
(27-01-2017 10:23 PM)BrianChariott Wrote:  
(27-01-2017 06:20 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Glad you made the intellectual choice. I would say your process of deconversion started a long time ago though.
I.e.
I would say I'm a gnostic atheist or a 6.99 on the Dawkins scale. I'm quite well-versed in the field of physics and realize the universe runs just fine without a god; just some fundamental laws of nature is all it needs. And if for some far-fetched reason a supernatural entity created those laws but since then has not interacted with our universe, such an entity would be apathetic to being worshiped as a god. I've also studied the origins of each of the major religions, so even if I can't say a god doesn't exist, I can say their god definitely doesn't exist.
As an Agnostic I tend to shy away from the word definite.
It's a really huge step in going from believing in God to believing 70% God cannot exist.
If you don't mind me asking, was there any life changing experience that finally made you come to your realization? I'm guessing you do not exclude the possibility of some supernatural presence outside of the universe however in light of no evidence for such there is no reason to believe such things exist right?

My views do note represent all of Atheism. There are many different types of Atheists & I might be the minority in a minority group.
I'm of the opinion that we can never really know for sure, but it really wouldn't matter any way.
I for one cannot worship an illogical being or a being not worthy of worship.
The way religions describe God it seems either illogical or unworthy of worship.
[+] 1 user Likes Agnostic Shane's post
28-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Thanks for sharing your story! I, also, voted for Romney in 2012 as my family did. I made abortion my single issue. Only, Romney made it clear in his campaign that he would wage more war in the Middle East. So I left the polls with the sinking feeling that I had voted for a man who would kill massive numbers of living people. I was very happy when my state went to Obama, and he won the election. (Although, war hasn't exactly ceased in the Middle East, has it?)

In any case, I became pro-choice even while I still believed in God. I would do anything to support a friend or family member who decided to keep a child in dire circumstances, but I never want a back alley abortion to be the only option for someone I love. I also started to think about the absurdity that the majority of souls who have ever existed were unborn fetuses and fertilized eggs. I'm a pretty imaginative person, but a heaven where I exist in fellowship with vast hordes of infant minds seems fairly uncomfortable to me. I don't know when life begins, or if there is anything eternal about our minds or personalities. I like to think there is something eternal, but I'm not planning to make decisions for myself or others based on what religions tell us about winning rewards in the great beyond.