Poll: Are humans causing climate change?
Well, yeah
D'oh, no
I trust god to think for me
[Show Results]

Decoupling trends in climate.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2015, 07:57 AM
I've heard several people tell me before (with regard to climate change) that it is "the Sun, stupid." (one of those was my father-in-law).

Well, is it the Sun?

What role does the Sun play in climate change?

What other factors are there?

What role to humans play, if any?

A fun infographic that gives a good indication of the multiple contributing factors, plus a good idea of what the dominant factor is for our current trend.

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-w...the-world/

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
06-07-2015, 08:25 AM
RE: Decoupling trends in climate.
I had to pick the last option, because this whole climate change business is clearly the work of the FSM.
Think about it. At what temperature do you cook spaghetti? Typically you put it into boiling water. The ocean surface only averages around 17°C right now, which is completely unacceptable! We'll never cook our spaghetti at that temperature! The FSM is doing us a great service here. Why are all you atheists acting so ungrateful? Weeping

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
06-07-2015, 09:46 AM
I hate to sound like a FSM skeptic, but spaghetti pasta will rehydrate at 17 C... heat just speeds up the process. Kinetic Theory, man!

(Nope, not making that up. That's a real theory.)

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion my skepticism is going to get me touched by His Noodley Appendage?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
06-07-2015, 09:49 AM
On a serious note, TBD: It blows me away when I hear people saying that it's "just the sun", like that's not a radiant factor we've been measuring since spectra were discovered, and like there's no other way to confirm or disprove that particular hypothesis for what's causing the rise in global temps. I always want to say in reply, "Oh man that sounds like something NASA should measure... maybe if they launched some satellites or something!" Rolleyes

They really think they're proposing a concept scientists just never thought of! I get the same crap in evolution discussions, which is why I dislike having them, anymore.

"Hey man, don't you scientists know that cats don't evolve from dogs!!" (No, didn't know that. Tell me all about it.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-07-2015, 11:24 AM
(06-07-2015 09:46 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I hate to sound like a FSM skeptic, but spaghetti pasta will rehydrate at 17 C... heat just speeds up the process. Kinetic Theory, man!

(Nope, not making that up. That's a real theory.)

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion my skepticism is going to get me touched by His Noodley Appendage?

You would eat cold spaghetti? Blasphemy!

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
06-07-2015, 11:49 AM
No, 'cuz I'm an atheist! Tongue

06-07-2015, 07:12 PM
It's amazing how often people believe their McPhD (reading random crap from the Internet) often is equated as comparable to that of professionals who actually study any given topic. I run into climate deniers and evolution deniers and young earthers, and they just assume I'm corrupted or in on some conspiracy. It's a baffling level of ignorance and arrogance.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post