Decriminalize meth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Decriminalize meth?
I'm personally torn on this issue. While I believe that an adult has the right to put anything they want into their body provided they hurt no one else, and that throwing people in jail for doing this helps no one but hurts a great deal of people, this drug is different.

I do hold to the idea that these people who use these drugs don't need jail, but need therapy. I believe the best solution is to deal with the underlying reason they felt drawn to these substances. But at the same time I DO NOT like meth. Why?

The production. This is not weed. This is not an opiate. This stuff is toxic and dangerous to produce. It puts everyone around the lab in danger. It produces toxic byproducts. It is dangerous to be around at every stage of production.

I want to know other people's thoughts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
21-12-2013, 12:23 AM
RE: Decriminalize meth?
I can't say much about the production, I don't have a lot of knowledge in that area, other than the occasional lab explosion. I'm assuming if it were legalized, it would be produced in more state of the art facilities with more safety in place.

As for use. I'm of the opinion that most people who are going to use meth already do. I doubt legalizing it would increase its use in the population, other than an increase with those who already use.

As for the drug itself... I hate it. It's a terrible drug, that is highly addictive. I've seen it ruin so many lives. Won't go into all that.

I'm normally against government babysitting, and laws that protect us from ourselves, but I'm really torn on this issue. I can see the up-side, and down-side of legalizing drugs (marijuana excluded, extremely pro-legalization in that area)

So, there's my two cents Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
21-12-2013, 12:30 AM
(21-12-2013 12:23 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I can't say much about the production, I don't have a lot of knowledge in that area, other than the occasional lab explosion. I'm assuming if it were legalized, it would be produced in more state of the art facilities with more safety in place.

As for use. I'm of the opinion that most people who are going to use meth already do. I doubt legalizing it would increase its use in the population, other than an increase with those who already use.

As for the drug itself... I hate it. It's a terrible drug, that is highly addictive. I've seen it ruin so many lives. Won't go into all that.

I'm normally against government babysitting, and laws that protect us from ourselves, but I'm really torn on this issue. I can see the up-side, and down-side of legalizing drugs (marijuana excluded, extremely pro-legalization in that area)

So, there's my two cents Thumbsup

Meth can also cause the recipient to act out with extreme violence towards others, in addition to the manufacturing health issues already mentioned.
Governments need to act out over some issues; I see this as one of them.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
21-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Very good point. It can cause severe paranoia, and violence, which is detrimental to society. Yeah, won't be able to get on board.

Also, I apologize, my earlier post talked about legalization, your thread is about decriminalization. Smile
21-12-2013, 12:39 AM
It's cool.

While I see your point on violent behavior alcohol also causes paranoia and violence but we generally say that if you can't hold your liquor that's your issue. There are people who can use amphetamines and meth without becoming violent. Why punish them because some people can't control themselves?
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
21-12-2013, 12:42 AM
(21-12-2013 12:31 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Very good point. It can cause severe paranoia, and violence, which is detrimental to society. Yeah, won't be able to get on board.

Also, I apologize, my earlier post talked about legalization, your thread is about decriminalization. Smile

If we really go crazy over decrimininalizing some stuff, the world will be a more dangerous place than it is now, and that would be really abhorent.
21-12-2013, 12:53 AM
(21-12-2013 12:12 AM)natachan Wrote:  The production. This is not weed. This is not an opiate. This stuff is toxic and dangerous to produce. It puts everyone around the lab in danger. It produces toxic byproducts. It is dangerous to be around at every stage of production.

I want to know other people's thoughts.

Methamphetamine is already being produced by pharmaceutical manufacturing plants for medical purposes. Were it to become legalised, existing manufacturers would increase their production volume to satisfy the demand and other pharmaceutical manufacturers would enter the market. Backyard meth labs would be pushed out of the market because their product will be inferior. In any event, methamphetamine manufacture by unlicensed manufacturers can remain illegal.

Regarding social harm, alcohol produces more death and destruction than all other recreational drugs combined yet no one is pushing to criminalise alcohol possession and use. In Sydney and Melbourne every Friday and Saturday night/Sunday morning there is a spate of alcohol related crimes, drunk idiots clogging hospitals' A&E and numerous alcohol-related road fatalities.

It is arbitrary and not based in evidence to criminalise some recreational drugs and to permit others to be freely sold.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chippy's post
21-12-2013, 12:55 AM
(21-12-2013 12:30 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Meth can also cause the recipient to act out with extreme violence towards others,

So can alcohol.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chippy's post
21-12-2013, 01:19 AM
Agree.

Also, couldn't the money we use to incarcerate these people, who are hurting nobody, be better spent? Say on educational programs, from k-12 reform to reducing the cost of higher Ed to adult literacy programs. Or on drug rehabilitation and counseling. Or on rebuilding our inner cities. Or on crime response and prevention.
21-12-2013, 09:00 PM
The war on drugs is absolutely devastating, imo. And SOOO hypocritical. Obama admits he was a stoner in college. If he had been caught, he'd have gone to jail, and as a young black felon with a prison record, he'd probably be mopping floors now. So what does he do? Any young men today who are following in his footsteps, and, like him, would get over this phase and move on to be successful, productive members of society, he throws them in jail, ensuring they never have a chance to make it like he did.

And it seems most of these highly dangerous drugs become popular only because the relatively safe stuff is illegal. Meth could be fabricated in a safe factory in an industrial area by a reputable company with proper safeguards, so there was no risk of blowing up the neighborhood. Because it's illegal, they make it in kitchens and use stuff that makes it even more deadly. Besides, I'd bet that if cocaine were legal, people would use that as their party drug of choice instead. It seems cocaine is relatively safe (remember it was used for hundreds of years in all sorts of products like Coca Cola) and cheap to make, and not very addictive. But, it's illegal and thus very expensive. So it seems people try making meth out of their garage using off-the-shelf chemicals, and that's when it gets really dangerous.

Same thing if you've seen the news about Krokodil; a super deadly drug that's made with gasoline and rots the body inside out. From what I've read, all the victims are heroin addicts who thought they were getting heroin, which is nowhere near as dangerous as Krokodil, but, since it's illegal and hard to get, they get duped.

Same thing with the 'fake marijuana' and 'bath salts' that afaik you can/could still buy legally. Very deadly and dangerous, only used because the 'real stuff' is illegal.

IMO, drug addicts have a problem and should be given help, not prisons. And, even if they're not ready to kick the habit, I'm sure most would choose the "safe" drugs if they had that option. If they really wanted to kill themselves they'd just do it.
[+] 3 users Like frankksj's post