Deer Hunting Season (I'm loving it)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2015, 07:27 PM
RE: Deer Hunting Season (I'm loving it)
(20-11-2015 07:23 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I want to hunt deer with a bow.

Did some bow hunting as a kid. It was a blast. It requires a but more patience, especially if you're using a traditional long bow as opposed to a compound.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2015, 08:35 PM
(20-11-2015 10:17 AM)yakherder Wrote:  It was almost funny going into Vermont last weekend. The divide is more obvious during hunting season. Half the people in the grocery store were raging hippies, the other half were dressed in camo and smelled like deer pheromones.

Flatlanders vs. Woodchucks!

Smile

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
[+] 1 user Likes OhDannyBoy's post
21-11-2015, 06:12 AM
I'm up in my hunting blind at daybreak. It took awhile to get here because we got our first snow last night and wet snow is crunchy !!! You have to wait for cars driving by to mask the noise of walking...... Hope I get my last doe this morning so I can do something else....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
21-11-2015, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2015 10:39 AM by Matt Finney.)
[Image: DSC_0017_zps278remmn.jpg]

Took my best buck ever on November 5th on public land in Indiana.
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
21-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Beefy looking bugger.... How much meat did you get off of that one????

A couple of those and the freezer would be full...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-11-2015, 12:22 PM
(21-11-2015 12:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Beefy looking bugger.... How much meat did you get off of that one????

A couple of those and the freezer would be full...

Big Grin

Yeah.... almost did me in on the 1/2 mile drag out. No quads on the public land (I don't have one anyways Smile ). Didn't weigh the meat, but it should last us a while. Going to try to get the wife on one with the crossbow over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Sounds like you're having a good season as well, congrats on your success!
21-11-2015, 02:32 PM
If I had to drag a deer a 1/2 mile, I'm betting somebody would have to drag me the next half....... Smile

21-11-2015, 03:11 PM
(20-11-2015 07:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's meat. The deer die a quick death, unlike what usually happens to them.

Most people tend to forget that animals living in the wild don't have a social safety net. Bambi doesn't get to go to "The Old Animal's Home"....

Old age for a deer - is 7 or 8 years. If a deer manages to avoid dying of disease, winter starvation, predators or being hit by a car --- their teeth wear out and they slowly starve to death.

Getting shot by a reasonably good marksman means a death that happens in seconds, minutes at the worst --- instead of weeks or months of pain and suffering.

Personally -- I'd rather take 8 hours dying of being gut-shot --- than spend months starving to death....

Here's another way deer die when not by a hunter. Nature isn't nice.....
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
23-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Devout Anti-Hunter Becomes Avid Bowhunter

(I'm too lazy to edit out the links and stuff after copying and pasting from the article into the /quote, so deal with it Tongue)
Quote:If you’ve heard one anti-hunter story, you’ve heard 100. But this one has a little different spin to it. And I think you’ll like it.

Erica Faulkner grew up in New England. Her family was a very extreme anti-hunting family.

“My father loves to watch deer but despises the thought of hunting them,” Erica said. “So, I grew up with a sour taste for hunting. My mother has a very strong stance against hunting, too.”

Erica remained an anti-hunter for a long time. Then, her boyfriend, Rodger Willett Jr. (a lifelong hunter) came into her life. He introduced to her what the outdoors was truly about. He showed hunting to her in a good light…the right light.

“I owe everything to [Rodger]. I became educated about it and learned,” Erica said. “It was strange. Growing up, I was an anti-hunter. I didn’t know any better. I ate meat. I didn’t know where it came from, though.

“I always had this horrible impression of hunters just killing animals,” Erica said. “I never gave it any [real] thought. When talking to anti-hunters, bring up herd management. Point out how many car accidents happen due to deer and how many suffer from disease and other issues when there is overpopulation.

“My mother has actually eaten deer,” Erica continued. “She’s an anti-hunter, and she’s eaten deer. I can’t figure it out.”

You have to talk to people. A simple, yet informative conversation (articulated in the right way) will do wonders in changing the mindsets of anti-hunters. You won’t convince everyone, but you can some. Erica is proof.

All it took was someone showing her what hunting was really about. Now, she is a hunter. And she started hunting last year. Today, Erika lives and hunts in Virginia. And this gal doesn’t get it handed to her, either.

“I’m an advocate for anyone who hunts,” Erica said. “But I haven’t done any paid hunts. I hunt public land and scout my own deer.

Erica Faulkner poses with another bow kill. (Photo courtesy of Erica Faulkner)

Erica Faulkner poses with another bow kill. (Photo courtesy of Erica Faulkner)
“People should talk to anti-hunters,” she explained. “It’s like I’m a whole different person. I can’t describe it. I’ve gone from not being a morning person to loving getting up early. The satisfaction of supplying my own meat is incredible. It has become a way of life for me. It’s all I think about nowadays.”

Erica has killed several deer since she became a bowhunter. But she recently got her first big buck. Which brings us to her 2015 hunt.

Erica settled into her stand around 3 p.m. Still a new hunter, Erica worried whether or not her stand was facing the right direction. Then, around 5:30 p.m., she looked over her shoulder. There it was: The big 8-point stood watching just 20 yards away.

“He started to walk behind a big tree,” she stated. “I grabbed my bow and stood still.”

The buck walked another 10 yards and looked up at Erica through a small hole in the tree limbs. It took a few more steps—vitals behind a tree once again—and stared at Erica for several more seconds.

“It felt like hours,” Erica said. “But it was probably only about 15 seconds.”

The buck took a few more fatal steps and exposed the 10-ring. Erica took the shot and connected. It ran less than 100 yards.

She waited for her boyfriend to come over. It wasn’t long before he arrived, and they immediately took up the blood trail.

They found Erica’s deer. Another hunter was born.

“Ask [anti-hunters] to look at what they’re eating,” Erica said. “Open their eyes. Hunting isn’t slaughtering animals. There is so much thought that goes into a hunt. Encourage them to go out with a hunter and experience the entire process. If they don’t want to watch a hunt, have them check cameras, plant food plots, or try some other aspect of the hunt. Get them involved, if they are willing.”

As for Erica’s parents now, they aren’t hunters…yet. But she feels they might be starting to come around.

“I’m very lucky,” Erica said. “They don’t treat me any differently now that I’m a hunter. They know I eat what I kill. I sent my dad a photo of the 8-point I killed. He was actually impressed that I’d shot one that big."

No one loves deer more than deer hunters. Just ask the millions of hunters across the country. We wouldn’t survive without the deer. And the deer wouldn’t survive without us. It’s the money from license sales, ammunition fees, and other hunting-related sales that fund conservation efforts to help the species flourish.

“I am very proud of who I am,” she said. “I am proud of what I do.”

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
23-11-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm enjoying lots of stories like this on Gunfail.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/hunter-k...g/36611392

Quote:Hunter killed in accidental shooting
Man was handing gun to woman in tree stand

The deer can't shoot back but stupid hunters are evening the odds.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!