Defenestration!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Defenestration!
I have decided to defenestrate Windoze™.

My laptop is dying. Power cord spliced back together twice, keyboard semi-responsive. The worst part was when the drive bricked last September. I replaced it with a 1 TB drive from Seagate. You know, the chuckleheads with the class action suit over their drive failure rates? Two more bricked drives later and I'm using an 8 year old drive scavenged from the computer before this one. It has outlived both the first Seagate drive and the replacement they sent me.

With all the dying drives and data ghosting, files have gotten corrupted and Windoze is even more unstable than nominal. Windows Update Client was hanging and using all of one core. I finally fixed it today after much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

So it's time for a new laptop. And since that laptop will come with either Windoze Hate or Windows 10 (Hate.1) I have finally decided to give Microsoft the boot. Goodbye Windoze, Hello Linux. Sadly, I will still need Office for my work but I can run that out of Linux when necessary.

So, forum tech junkies, recommendations? What flavour of Linux and what are the pros and cons?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
16-05-2017, 05:20 PM
RE: Defenestration!
I can't answer your questions. I just just wanted to say how much I love that this word exists in the English language. It says something about people, that we'd get this specific in describing how we might want to execute someone.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-05-2017, 05:39 PM
Defenestration!
I had to look that word up as it is a mighty big word. It means throwing something out the window.

Kudos to you the OP.
16-05-2017, 07:05 PM
Last I checked it didn't refer to execution, merely some nasty bruises. The window's allowed to be ground floor, though if I had some MicroSoft (You trying to tell us something Mr Gates?) executives I'd be tempted to go with a portal to the seventh circle of hell.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
16-05-2017, 07:27 PM
I'm using Win10 (got the upgrade pushed out, was on Win 7) on my laptop, which is old enough that the enter key on the letter portion of the keyboard doesn't work, and I have to use the numeric keypad enter key. I started out as a line programmer using FORTRAN back in the late '70s. (Though I did dabble with one of these in my senior year in high school (graduated in '70)) I remember getting WordStar on the PCs that the secretaries used to type up all the shit us engineers produced, in '84. Dual floppy drives! Bowing Prior to that, only ONE secretary knew how to use the text editor on some old midframe DEC computer.

I'm tempted to try LINUX, but I'm not sure I want to invest the mental effort to go back to the kind of work that might be required.
17-05-2017, 12:01 AM
(16-05-2017 07:27 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I'm tempted to try LINUX, but I'm not sure I want to invest the mental effort to go back to the kind of work that might be required.

If you get Ubuntu or one of the distros based on it there's shitloads of tech support in the form of forum questions and answers available.

I've used a few flavours of linux, but I reckon straight Ubuntu is the easiest for learning (not that I know a lot). There's a desktop, it comes with a lot of software as standard (web browser, office applications etc) and it's pretty stable and updates regularly. Also tech support. Mint used to be my distro of choice, but they've been sketchy with their updates recently and my girlfriend's laptop had all kinds of problems running it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-05-2017, 02:43 AM
My laptop is reeeeally old. I "upgraded" it to windows 10 recently, and it's running slower than it did before. Think it might be worth wiping it and selling as spare parts on eBay now.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
17-05-2017, 08:38 AM
(16-05-2017 07:05 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Last I checked it didn't refer to execution, merely some nasty bruises. The window's allowed to be ground floor, though if I had some MicroSoft (You trying to tell us something Mr Gates?) executives I'd be tempted to go with a portal to the seventh circle of hell.

Last I checked, it was used as such on occasion, and the word was coined after one particular execution in Prague.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
17-05-2017, 08:49 AM
(17-05-2017 08:38 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 07:05 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Last I checked it didn't refer to execution, merely some nasty bruises. The window's allowed to be ground floor, though if I had some MicroSoft (You trying to tell us something Mr Gates?) executives I'd be tempted to go with a portal to the seventh circle of hell.

Last I checked, it was used as such on occasion, and the word was coined after one particular execution in Prague.

The defenestrations of Prague. I've heard of that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-05-2017, 06:10 PM
(17-05-2017 12:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 07:27 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I'm tempted to try LINUX, but I'm not sure I want to invest the mental effort to go back to the kind of work that might be required.

If you get Ubuntu or one of the distros based on it there's shitloads of tech support in the form of forum questions and answers available.

I've used a few flavours of linux, but I reckon straight Ubuntu is the easiest for learning (not that I know a lot). There's a desktop, it comes with a lot of software as standard (web browser, office applications etc) and it's pretty stable and updates regularly. Also tech support. Mint used to be my distro of choice, but they've been sketchy with their updates recently and my girlfriend's laptop had all kinds of problems running it.

Thanx. Ubuntu was at the top of my list so I'll likely give it a shot.

Windoze has gotten too damned bloated for absolutely no improvement.

---