Define Atheist: What Does It Mean To You?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
24-11-2013, 02:52 PM
This will be an exercise with a hope that we can reach a consensus on what defines a person as an atheist.

Sure, we all know that general and universal meaning that an atheist is one who holds no religious beliefs in any kind of supernatural gods, but I am looking to establish the "personage" of the atheist as possibly being much more than mere unbelief in gods.

Therefore, I am asking for your opinions on the character an atheist would have, as well as morals, ethics, and anything else that you think differentiates an atheist from the theist.

Think things through before you answer, and let's see what kind of picture we can paint of the atheist. I will merely act as a referee in this discussion, gathering information from you all and offering a post every couple of pages or so that details the current status of what you have all determined. Therefore ...

How can anyone become an atheist when we were all born with no religious beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
BORN THIS WAY
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2013, 02:56 PM
RE: Define Atheist: What Does It Mean To You?
Other than a lack of belief in gods, I don't know if there will be much else we could come to a consensus on. Confused
But it will be interesting to see what others think.

[Image: dlapuo244d3.png]
24-11-2013, 02:59 PM
There are so many different things that come to mind, I can't think of a quintessential atheist. The closest thing to specific I can imagine is a humanist. That's not the same thing.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
24-11-2013, 03:26 PM
(24-11-2013 02:52 PM)Free Wrote:  This will be an exercise with a hope that we can reach a consensus on what defines a person as an atheist.

I am looking to establish the "personage" of the atheist as possibly being much more than mere unbelief in gods.

To what purpose would this serve?

So we can say "you are not a real atheist" to people who don't fit our consensus of what atheist should be?

Maybe later have a book that describes rules of how atheists should behave and what they should think. I say we have about 10 rules, we can call them commandments.
Also we should have stories that teach our moral positions on different issues.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 3 users Like Slowminded's post
24-11-2013, 03:29 PM
(24-11-2013 03:26 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 02:52 PM)Free Wrote:  This will be an exercise with a hope that we can reach a consensus on what defines a person as an atheist.

I am looking to establish the "personage" of the atheist as possibly being much more than mere unbelief in gods.

To what purpose would this serve?

So we can say "you are not a real atheist" to people who don't fit our consensus of what atheist should be?

Maybe later have a book that describes rules of how atheists should behave and what they should think. I say we have about 10 rules, we can call them commandments.
Also we should have stories that describe our moral positions on different issues.

24-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Beyond the general definition, I would say atheists are of avg height, taller and shorter. Also of avg weight, larger and smaller. Most tend to be either male or female, with the vast majority preferring to eat food and drink liquids. Socially they tend to hangout with other people when in a large groups. Some also have a tendency to speak their minds on religious topics.

Does that give you an idea of what an atheist is ? because it also applies to people who don't golf or people who don't wear hats 24/7.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
24-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Rahn,
You forgot that they are aged 13 to 73, have raging libido / testosterone issues, have long, short, dark, light hair, are married and / or single, gay and / or straight...

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
24-11-2013, 04:05 PM
The thing is... Atheism is just a lack of belief in deities. Nothing more.

But, the word "atheist" has come to mean "skeptic", "anti-theist", "free thinker" and "humanist".

In many ways those are stereotypes... There are plenty of atheists who are none of the above, their atheism is simply a fact about them. Most if not all of the atheists on here would probably put themselves into one of those categories... Otherwise I doubt they'd be on here since there'd be nothing to discuss.

I don't come on here to talk about how much I don't believe... But rather to discuss religion, its pros and cons, its scientific failings, its origins, future and how it might be opposed.

But also, to sometimes take the piss out of it... Which it thoroughly deserves.

You can't overlook the lack Jack, of any other highway to ride. It's got no signs or dividing lines, and very few rules to guide - Gerry Garcia
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
24-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Maybe we all have a good dose of skepticism.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-11-2013, 04:08 PM
I remember a call in to one of the podcasts, the caller met an atheist who believed in the power of reiki. Some are conspiracy nuts.

I don't think we can even say skepticism is a universal trait among atheist.