Define Atheist: What Does It Mean To You?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
24-11-2013, 07:45 PM
RE: Define Atheist: What Does It Mean To You?
I define an Atheist as a person who has a close personal relationship with God, and accepts Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and savior, and their only means to salvation and access to the Kingdom of Heaven.

At least that's what I think an Atheist is, but that's just me...we all have our own interpretations of it.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
24-11-2013, 07:51 PM
(24-11-2013 07:45 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I define an Atheist as a person who has a close personal relationship with God, and accepts Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and savior, and their only means to salvation and access to the Kingdom of Heaven.

At least that's what I think an Atheist is, but that's just me...we all have our own interpretations of it.

I laughed harder at this than I should have.

@Free:

I know what you are trying to ask, but you can't generalize. I mean, sure, there are some personality traits that a believer is predisposed towards over a non-believer. But it doesn't apply to 100% of either of those populations.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 3 users Like Cephalotus's post
24-11-2013, 07:57 PM
The question of God is irrelevant to Girly. It's at least two steps in front of the real issue of the postmortem preservation of identity. Dualism's bullshit. I will not survive my death. There is no tenable, plausible, or even imaginable mechanism of action where I will survive my death. I am not an atheist because it's irrelevant to even consider a God when dualism is untenable. I am not anti-theist for the same reason. I am not even anti-religion as long as you ain't being an asshole trying to sell me some untenable, implausible, unimaginable snake oil bullshit. This is why I got no problem with the Calvinist KingsChosen. He ain't selling shit and readily admits to not having a clue about the postmortem preservation of identity. I am anti-bullshit promises, however. I am areligious. My own personal Jesus. My own personal Lord and Savior, the temporary and transitory embodiment of The Word. Like Jesus. Tongue

I have forgiven 51 unprovoked insults Heywood Jahblome has directed at forum members.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-11-2013, 07:57 PM
(24-11-2013 07:00 PM)Free Wrote:  I have seen a few responses to this thread, most are negative in regards to its existence. Yet, I am wondering how many of you actually considered the main point in the original post. Here it is again:

Quote:Therefore, I am asking for your opinions on the character an atheist would have, as well as morals, ethics, and anything else that you think differentiates an atheist from the theist.

How about we don't repeat the same question with bolded and/or caps lock when we get an answer we don't like, 'cause that seems to be a theist thing... wait a minute! Have you violated my generalization before I even generalized it? Shocking

Big Grin
lolz

All I can say on my own in "defining atheism" is to reject contemporary theology. That's more along the lines of the original definition, and explains the compulsion to "talk about atheism." But them other things, I'm not seeing it.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Why does there have to be more to atheism than just the simple lack of belief in a god? Huh
24-11-2013, 08:41 PM
I can't think of anything that separates atheists from theists beyond the obvious not believing in gods part. One thing more common among atheists than theists is the idea of human equality, but I've known enough pro-gay rights, feminist, anti-racist, secular, just in general humanist Christians that I don't make the association. It's the same for any non-religious belief and personality trait, really. More common, but not by a large enough margin to be a defining quality of atheists.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
24-11-2013, 09:26 PM
(24-11-2013 08:40 PM)NoSuicide4Me Wrote:  Why does there have to be more to atheism than just the simple lack of belief in a god? Huh

Because according to my observations of many of the posters here- as well as the people I have met in real life- there is much more to being an atheist than just a lack of belief in God(s).

Herre is a breakdown of what I have observed so far regarding atheists as they contrast with theists.

1. The majority of atheists are more honest in their assessments of the nature of things.

2. The majority of atheists are far more understanding and accepting of civil rights and advocate equality for all as opposed to religious sects.

3. The majority of atheists accept correction far more frequently than theists do in regards to rational thought. Theists tend to deny obvious indisputable evidence to preserve their beliefs, while atheists will change their point of view depending on the available evidence.

4. Almost all the atheists I have met have far more respect for whatever the truth is in regards to an issue than theists do. They tend to look for the facts instead of considering absurd possibilities.

These are just a few of the things I have noticed about atheists, and there are plenty more.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
Born This Way
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
24-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Another one for Atheism+. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-11-2013, 09:49 PM
(24-11-2013 07:39 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  I think of an atheist as someone who sits in front of an open fire and roasts peanuts while contemplating the true nature of existence and the world within our existence.
I loved this. Free, do the majority of atheists masturbate more, or less? On the ONE HAND they have less guilt, on the other they can actually have sex, if they aren't too nerdy, or bad dressers, which are other traits missing from your list. These are empirical questions.
24-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Alright, it took some digging, but this is a post I made quite some time ago to a theist who claimed to want to get to know the "atheist mind" or some shit. I could edit it but I'm lazy so I'll just copy/paste the whole thing. I believe it's more along the line of what the OP was asking.

(and I know, I misattributed the quote to Hitchens, but he's who I heard say it first)

(17-04-2013 11:23 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 09:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  Say what? Love is all there is. It is Eternal I tell you. It never is devalued, it only grows. Man, you don't know what you're missing.

Alright, hold on. You're getting your taint in a tizzy again. Blush

Love is probably the most important and influential emotion that humanity has, second maybe only to fear. You want to know more about atheists? I'll bite. You started out a little sketchy, but seem to be becoming more genuine as this thread progresses so I'll throw my 2 coppers at ya.

Eternal? Where is the evidence of that? We can go to the bible but that's a whole other discussion. My love isn't eternal, it's here and now. It will cease to be but a memory once I've retired from this earth. That's what gives it it's potency. I don't know what I'm missing? I feel the same love as you, brother, we just interpret it's significance a little bit differently.

You're afraid that eternity doesn't exist for you, so you cling to the belief that your most sacred emotions (love, empathy) come from and are a part of god, an eternal force. Therefore your life-force (soul) must also be eternal. This is a very comforting thought, but not rational.

As an atheist I believe that this life is it. You interpret that right off to mean that I attribute no meaning to life. This would be a false assumption. If this is all I have, then every moment is that much more precious. Every chance I have to enjoy this beautiful, awesome earth and the wonderful people in my life is that much more valuable. I thank my lucky balls that I am fortunate to be able to play a small role in this clusterfuck of an existence we call life.

Do I fear death? No. The late, great Cristopher Hitchens said (and of course I can't find the damn quote at the moment) something to the effect of, we aren't aware of not being alive for all of eternity before we are born and it doesn't bother us, why would we think we'll be bothered by not existing after we die? (he said it much better than that) All matters of my life will cease to exist to me after I cease to exist, so it's inconsequential. My only fear concerning death is concerned within this life. Am I doing everything I can to live to the fullest while I am here? My regrets about my death only exist as a realization that I will never be able to experience everything that I want to in the short time I have here.

The way we live on is in our legacy. It's in the art we make, the music we create. The love and memories that will stay with our families and friends after we are gone. And, if we are lucky and motivated enough, maybe something we have done in life will live on to be remembered by the world long after our death.

That's the reason for reason, for inquiry, and critical thinking. After you shrug off the simple superstition that faith is, you are free to embrace the natural complexities of this world. The universe is simply awe inspiring (no god required), and learning about it is much more stimulating than simply chalking it up to god and sitting around going, "man, can't wait for heaven cus this place is kinda shitty". Perhaps one day my legacy will be to contribute something to further the evolution of humanity.

It probably won't be anything grand, but if it's only the simple things it's okay. Helping a friend through a rough time, raising my sons to be awesome little heathens, being a loving husband to my wife because she's fucking awesome and deserves it. Everything I can contribute to every moment of my life that is good and enjoyable is worth it because that's all I have. And I am bound and determined to make the most of it.

I am an atheist because god was too important to me to take lightly. I finally had to be honest with myself and ask those hard questions and find satisfying answers to them. I finally screwed up enough courage to look god straight in the eye....

Fuck me, but I was just looking at myself the whole time.

It's a scary thing to let go of faith, and for a lot of reasons. But I'm a better, more confident and surefooted person for having done so. This life and it's craziness makes a lot more sense now that I don't have to attribute everything to a magic entity.

But I don't speak for everyone else, this is just what my atheism means to me. Hope that helps some.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post