Define Atheist: What Does It Mean To You?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
25-11-2013, 06:41 AM
RE: Define Atheist: What Does It Mean To You?
(24-11-2013 09:26 PM)Free Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 08:40 PM)NoSuicide4Me Wrote:  Why does there have to be more to atheism than just the simple lack of belief in a god? Huh

Because according to my observations of many of the posters here- as well as the people I have met in real life- there is much more to being an atheist than just a lack of belief in God(s).

Herre is a breakdown of what I have observed so far regarding atheists as they contrast with theists.

1. The majority of atheists are more honest in their assessments of the nature of things.

2. The majority of atheists are far more understanding and accepting of civil rights and advocate equality for all as opposed to religious sects.

3. The majority of atheists accept correction far more frequently than theists do in regards to rational thought. Theists tend to deny obvious indisputable evidence to preserve their beliefs, while atheists will change their point of view depending on the available evidence.

4. Almost all the atheists I have met have far more respect for whatever the truth is in regards to an issue than theists do. They tend to look for the facts instead of considering absurd possibilities.

These are just a few of the things I have noticed about atheists, and there are plenty more.

Then you need to ask a different question. Like "Is being an atheist correlated to being a humanist?", and questions like that.

It has nothing to do with the definition of atheist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Eh.. a person who doesn't believe God ? that's as simple as that theists can take a whole day ''demonizing'' and ''straw-manning'' us with their shit but in the end we simply just don't believe in fairy tales.
Find all posts by this user
25-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Easy.

Atheists either hate god or are afraid of him.

We live a life of sin and debauchery

We are closed minded.

Well... That's how Christians describe me anyway.

Tell me. Can you be an Atheist AND believe in ghosts?
25-11-2013, 09:22 AM
It means not believing in a God or Goddess.

It does not mean irreligion; for many Buddhists are very religious and do not believe in a single God.
[+] 1 user Likes The_Thinking_Theist's post
25-11-2013, 09:33 AM
(25-11-2013 09:18 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Tell me. Can you be an Atheist AND believe in ghosts?

Yes, but you would be in the lunatic fringe with the Alien abductees and conspiracy theorists. they have more in common with the God of the Gap worshippers.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
25-11-2013, 09:52 AM
(25-11-2013 09:18 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Easy.

Atheists either hate god or are afraid of him.

We live a life of sin and debauchery

We are closed minded.

Well... That's how Christians describe me anyway.

Tell me. Can you be an Atheist AND believe in ghosts?

Casper? Yes. The Holy Ghost? No. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2013, 12:09 PM
There we are then. So an atheist would by default not believe in anything supernatural? Due to the same trappings of evidence etc
25-11-2013, 12:15 PM
(25-11-2013 12:09 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  There we are then. So an atheist would by default not believe in anything supernatural? Due to the same trappings of evidence etc

"Should"

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
01-12-2013, 06:59 AM
(24-11-2013 09:26 PM)Free Wrote:  Because according to my observations of many of the posters here- as well as the people I have met in real life- there is much more to being an atheist than just a lack of belief in God(s).

Herre is a breakdown of what I have observed so far regarding atheists as they contrast with theists.

1. The majority of atheists are more honest in their assessments of the nature of things.

2. The majority of atheists are far more understanding and accepting of civil rights and advocate equality for all as opposed to religious sects.

3. The majority of atheists accept correction far more frequently than theists do in regards to rational thought. Theists tend to deny obvious indisputable evidence to preserve their beliefs, while atheists will change their point of view depending on the available evidence.

4. Almost all the atheists I have met have far more respect for whatever the truth is in regards to an issue than theists do. They tend to look for the facts instead of considering absurd possibilities.

These are just a few of the things I have noticed about atheists, and there are plenty more.

So what? Just because the majority of people in a group act or behave a certain way, that doesn't define what the word means. If you're going to define a group of people, then everyone in that group has to share the exact same quality.

"The majority" or "Almost all" is not good enough.
01-12-2013, 07:40 AM
My historical hero's were what drove me to atheism.
Hitler, Stalin, Pol pot.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".