Define Atheist: What Does It Mean To You?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
01-12-2013, 09:17 AM
RE: Define Atheist: What Does It Mean To You?
Allot of different yet not mutually exclusive character traits will lead to Atheism.
Empathy is a big one, leading to kindness, altruism, rejection of racism, cruelty and bigotry.(ie:bible)
What I call the emotional (right brain)path to Atheism:

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
01-12-2013, 09:54 AM
(01-12-2013 08:57 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Also, I would love to think that it's not the atheism that makes me not a racist, or a bigot or whatever.

True enough. But we're all different. I took the OP in a different light but that's okay. In regards to what I quoted above, I honestly have to say that it's because of my atheism that I have become less bigoted. Not because of atheism (in the strict definition of the word), but because of the thought processes that took place to lead me to it's conclusion that helped change and shape my current worldview.

In that sense, my atheism helps me to be a better person.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
01-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Quote:Gathering the info doesn't require a referee, does it? To me it's clear that he is trying to put atheism in a box and label it. To establish how should "proper atheist " should think and what moral values an atheist should have.

Not true.

The title of this thread is not "Define Atheism." We already know what atheism is.

I was quite clear that I was looking for opinions on defining an atheist, as per what some of the commonalities we have between us aside from the obvious non belief in gods.

These commonalities would be far more prevalent in atheists than they would be among theists.

Carry on ...

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
01-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Quote: Define Atheist: What Does It Mean To You?

It just means I don't believe shit.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
01-12-2013, 06:31 PM
(01-12-2013 08:11 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 07:51 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Not that I think you're being serious, but Hitler was a Roman Catholic. Drinking Beverage

Nope. Don't believe me? Ask a Roman Catholic.

Tongue

He wasn't a Catholic.
01-12-2013, 06:33 PM
(01-12-2013 06:31 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  He wasn't a Catholic.
How do you know that? Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
01-12-2013, 06:37 PM
(01-12-2013 06:33 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 06:31 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  He wasn't a Catholic.
How do you know that? Drinking Beverage

Quote: Raised in the Georgian Orthodox faith, Stalin became an atheist. He followed the position that religion was an opiate that needed to be removed in order to construct the ideal communist society. His government promoted atheism through special atheistic education in schools, anti-religious propaganda, the antireligious work of public institutions (Society of the Godless), discriminatory laws, and a terror campaign against religious believers. By the late 1930s it had become dangerous to be publicly associated with religion.

Wikipedia. Drinking Beverage
01-12-2013, 06:54 PM
(01-12-2013 06:37 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 06:33 PM)Vosur Wrote:  How do you know that? Drinking Beverage

Quote: Raised in the Georgian Orthodox faith, Stalin became an atheist. He followed the position that religion was an opiate that needed to be removed in order to construct the ideal communist society. His government promoted atheism through special atheistic education in schools, anti-religious propaganda, the antireligious work of public institutions (Society of the Godless), discriminatory laws, and a terror campaign against religious believers. By the late 1930s it had become dangerous to be publicly associated with religion.

Wikipedia. Drinking Beverage

Hitler, not Stalin. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-12-2013, 06:59 PM
(01-12-2013 06:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 06:37 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Wikipedia. Drinking Beverage

Hitler, not Stalin. Dodgy

Well, that changes everything!
01-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Got a page and a half in, and saw what I expected.

But, Free, if you're interested at all in what I have to say on the topic;

I came to this forum (almost four years ago) and entered the debate you are no doubt having/witnessing in this thread. My position when I came was firm.

Atheist means "Not Theist".

Period.

No other criteria. At all.

Since then, my position changed. I started to think about it, and see what appeared to be very distinct differences between theists and atheists that made some characteristics exclusively atheist. As the forum grew, they became even more apparent.

But I constantly ran into a problem. Every time I thought, "well THIS must be an exclusively atheist trait" I'd realize there was an exception. If I didn't know of one, that exception would immediately surface once I actually LOOKED for it. Obviously I very quickly realized that what I was looking for was not "exclusively atheist" so much as "generally atheist". Since generalizations are, well, generally disgusting and should not be applied to people, as groups OR as individuals, I opted to abandon the search, since it became about stereotypes.

Conclusion?

Atheist means "Not Theist".

Anything more is generalizing, not defining.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post