Define Atheist: What Does It Mean To You?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
02-12-2013, 01:07 AM
RE: Define Atheist: What Does It Mean To You?
(24-11-2013 02:52 PM)Free Wrote:  Therefore, I am asking for your opinions on the character an atheist would have, as well as morals, ethics, and anything else that you think differentiates an atheist from the theist.

Problem is...if such a list was made and then applied to the word atheism, then they would need to make a new word, to mean what the original word atheism meant, because I would probably no longer be "atheist".

If you are looking for humanism..then call yourself a humanist, that is also an atheist.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 10:55 AM
So far in this quest to define the general character of an atheist which makes the atheist distinct from a theist, I will note the following which has been gleaned from your comments:

1. The atheist can come from several schools of thought including, but not limited to, humanism, secularism, and rationalism.

2. The atheist seems to shun any kind of belief that is not somehow supported by some reasonable degree of tangible evidence. Where the theist's worldview is often supported only by blind faith (not just in god, but because of this worldview they seems to stop searching for answers prematurely) , the atheist's worldview is supported by evidence and they continue to seek the truth about issues.

3. The typical atheist appears to be far more accepting of civil rights than the typical theist, including gay rights which is a hot area of contention for the typical theist.

4. The typical atheist appears to demonstrate a greater degree of honesty than a theist does. Where a theist will defend his faith despite obvious solid evidence to the contrary, an atheist will more often change his worldview according to the available evidence.

5 The typical atheist will employee the ability to rationalize situations far more effectively than the typical theist. Atheists will more often demonstrate a cohesive train of thought when assessing a situation as compared to the theist.

6. Atheists do not like to be associated with any kind of atheist philosophy because they feel this makes them look too much like they belong to a quasi religious based school of thought. Because of this, they are difficult to organize in any kind of effort to promote any kind of movement.

The list above is still a work in progress. If any of you have anything to add please feel free to do so.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
02-12-2013, 04:03 PM

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's