Define 'arrogance'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2012, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2012 03:23 PM by Zat.)
Define 'arrogance'
What is it?
Can it ever be earned?
Can it ever be justified?
Can a statement of fact be ever called arrogance?
Is it an insult or compliment to call someone arrogant?
What is its opposite?
Is there a golden middle?
Have you ever been arrogant?
When, where, how, why?
Did you feel guilty about it after?

PS. Please don't move this thread into Philosophy! Big Grin

ETA:

The accusation of 'arrogant' (if we agree about the definition) can be legitimate, but often it is not. Once a particular person acquires a vast amount of knowledge, has a very clear logical mind and can express himself with confidence, he is often accused of being arrogant by those who lack some or all of those qualifications. Being right, with facts to prove it, and saying it unashamedly, with confidence, and not backing down when faced with resentment is NOT arrogant, but is often called that. In this particular case being called arrogant is actually an implied praise! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2012, 01:16 PM
RE: Define 'arrogance'
*looks around nervously*
Hmm... This one looks safe to venture into.

(27-02-2012 11:38 AM)Zat Wrote:  What is it?
An uncalled display of your own superiority whether or not justified.
Quote:Can it ever be earned?
I'm afraid I don't understand that question. Can you earn "a display"?
Quote:Can it ever be justified?
I can imagine a situation where arrogance can be used as means to mute unjustified arrogance
Quote:Can a statement of fact be ever called arrogance?
Yes. See definition.
Quote:Is it an insult or compliment to call someone arrogant?
I'ts an insult
Quote:What is its opposite?
knowing, realising and acting at your limits.
Quote:Is there a golden middle?
Wait... do you think your ALWAYS arrogant?
Quote:Have you ever been arrogant?
Sure
Quote:When, where, how, why?
You should ask the people I met in my life, they are in a better position then me to tell.
Quote:Did you feel guilty about it after?
One of the big downsides of arrogance is that you don't seem to notice it yourself.

Quote:PS. Please don't move this thread into Philosophy! Big Grin
The arrogance of you, thinking you can command us.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 6 users Like Observer's post
27-02-2012, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2012 02:51 PM by Peterkin.)
"Not only am I the most important person in this room, but you and, you and you, and you, too sniggering the shadows over there, should be aware - should not need to be told, ffs! - that I am the most important person present."

Pride and status can be earned; correct information and meticulous reasoning can lead to confidence in delivery; success and acclaim can inspire self-esteem.
Arrogance is overestimation of self and importance - most commonly through a position of authority that precludes challenges, or through prolonged association with inferiors incapable of mounting a credible challenge.

Anything can be called anything, accurately or in-. The calling out of adjectives is governed by fashion and has only a casual, almost incidental, relation to the actual meaning of the words.

Thus:
Quote: "PS. Please don't move this thread into Philosophy! Big Grin"

the Please, if not the grinny, should have exempted the subject from the label.

Afterthoughts on the misuse or abuse of labels.
This one, in particular, has been applied to me when i was peremptory, impatient, partisan, exasperated, brusque, dismissive or high-handed. I have no grievance: though there may have been, in each instance a more precise word, "arrogant" summed up, nearly enough, a legitimate criticism.
On the other hand, i have also been accused of arrogance when i was succinct and accurate, in a polite and appropriate manner. The ideological opponent feels an injustice, even though they entered the argument voluntarily. In some situations, the "arrogant" label is a substitute for: "How dare you be smarter than me!" Were the sentiment expressed so frankly, i could respond: "I've lived, read and thought more. I can't repair the disparity - but you can."

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
27-02-2012, 03:03 PM
(27-02-2012 01:16 PM)Observer Wrote:  
Quote:PS. Please don't move this thread into Philosophy! Big Grin

Ha!!! Tongue I just pissed myself on that one! Perfect timing!

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
27-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I think I can be very arrogant but it's not my fault that I'm just generally better than most of the people around me.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
27-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Opposite = humility

Therefore to use Observer's def:
An uncalled display of your own inferiority whether or not justified.

27-02-2012, 07:02 PM
(27-02-2012 11:38 AM)Zat Wrote:  The accusation of 'arrogant' (if we agree about the definition) can be legitimate, but often it is not. Once a particular person acquires a vast amount of knowledge, has a very clear logical mind and can express himself with confidence, he is often accused of being arrogant by those who lack some or all of those qualifications. Being right, with facts to prove it, and saying it unashamedly, with confidence, and not backing down when faced with resentment is NOT arrogant, but is often called that. In this particular case being called arrogant is actually an implied praise! Big Grin

In my job I work closely with a number of different universities and their researchers. In 25 years of this, what I've noticed is that the truly World Class investigators, those that are recognized as among the most brilliant minds in their field, don't exhibit even the slightest hint of arrogance, not even a whiff and I got a pretty keen nose. Quite the contrary, they seem patient to a fault when trying to decide which shelf they need to put the cookies on in order for me to be able to reach them. Now with some of the wannabes, well they can't even the cover the stench of their arrogance with that noxious Axe spray shit that my teenage son and his friends use. Fortunately they often grow out of it as they figure out they're not nearly the shit they think they are. I personally find condescension far more offensive than arrogance. Arrogance and passion can be confused. But I've never mistaken condescension for passion.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-02-2012, 09:19 PM
(27-02-2012 06:32 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I think I can be very arrogant but it's not my fault that I'm just generally better than most of the people around me.

Funny boy! Smile

I tend to agree with Observer although I don't think arrogance is ever justified.
Even if one has the mind of Einstein they have no right to think they are superior to anyone else. They have just had the good fortune to inherit their particular genes and have that particular upbringing.
I often rebel by reflecting this ugliness back to the originator which can generally have the desired effect (brings them down to a 'less than god' status).

EDIT: Condescension is worse than arrogance, I agree, Girly

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
27-02-2012, 10:05 PM
(27-02-2012 09:19 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Funny boy! Smile

I tend to agree with Observer although I don't think arrogance is ever justified.
Even if one has the mind of Einstein they have no right to think they are superior to anyone else. They have just had the good fortune to inherit their particular genes and have that particular upbringing.
I often rebel by reflecting this ugliness back to the originator which can generally have the desired effect (brings them down to a 'less than god' status).

You know the worst thing is I was only half joking.

Condescension may be worse than arrogance but bloody hell, some people deserve it! When you reach a certain level of stupid you've asked for it (and I don't mean actual stupid I mean wilful stupid if that makes any sense).

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
27-02-2012, 10:25 PM
(27-02-2012 10:05 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(27-02-2012 09:19 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Funny boy! Smile

You know the worst thing is I was only half joking.

Condescension may be worse than arrogance but bloody hell, some people deserve it! When you reach a certain level of stupid you've asked for it (and I don't mean actual stupid I mean wilful stupid if that makes any sense).

I see where you're coming from but I'm not really talking about those sorts of instances. It's more the people who are just like that no matter who they talk to.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)