• 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2012, 11:30 PM
RE: Define 'arrogance'
Please define or provide examples of condescension Confused Huh

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2012, 06:36 PM
(27-02-2012 10:25 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  I see where you're coming from but I'm not really talking about those sorts of instances. It's more the people who are just like that no matter who they talk to.

Yeah we can agree that that's annoying Smile.

Quote:Please define or provide examples of condescension

Being condescending is talking down to someone. Talking to them as though they are stupid. Tone of voice factors in a lot, you would say someone has a 'condescending tone'.

Kinda like if I answered your question by going;

'I can't believe you don't know what condescension is, everyone knows what it is, how stupid are you? It's when you talk down to someone. God, I can't believe I had to explain that to you'.

It's hard to convey online but I tried my best Smile.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post
28-02-2012, 08:04 PM
(27-02-2012 02:29 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  On the other hand, i have also been accused of arrogance when i was succinct and accurate, in a polite and appropriate manner. The ideological opponent feels an injustice, even though they entered the argument voluntarily. In some situations, the "arrogant" label is a substitute for: "How dare you be smarter than me!" Were the sentiment expressed so frankly, i could respond: "I've lived, read and thought more. I can't repair the disparity - but you can."

Peterkin, be very careful what you tell people -- calling spades spades can be a very offensive, even considered a 'condescending', act, even if it is uttered in self defense, in face of extreme provocation. Big Grin

Better not rock the boat! Rolleyes
28-02-2012, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2012 11:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-02-2012 08:04 PM)Zat Wrote:  Peterkin, be very careful what you tell people -- calling spades spades can be a very offensive, even considered a 'condescending', act, even if it is uttered in self defense, in face of extreme provocation.

Dude, I hope you don't think I was talking about you. You are anything but condescending or patronizing, you're just so old and rickety that the arthritis flares up if you try to stoop down to the lower shelves where others can reach the cookies. Wink

(27-02-2012 02:29 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  On the other hand, i have also been accused of arrogance when i was succinct and accurate, in a polite and appropriate manner. The ideological opponent feels an injustice, even though they entered the argument voluntarily. In some situations, the "arrogant" label is a substitute for: "How dare you be smarter than me!" Were the sentiment expressed so frankly, i could respond: "I've lived, read and thought more. I can't repair the disparity - but you can."

umm ... yeah ... that reads pretty arrogant to me, Peterkin.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
29-02-2012, 04:28 AM
(28-02-2012 10:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Dude, I hope you don't think I was talking about you. You are anything but condescending or patronizing, you're just so old and rickety that the arthritis flares up if you try to stoop down to the lower shelves where others can reach the cookies. Wink

Thank you for the 'compliment', GirlyMan Big Grin

Quote:umm ... yeah ... that reads pretty arrogant to me, Peterkin.

Sounded fair to me, with the admission of occasional arrogance in the previous sentence. It does happen that you are unfairly accused of arrogance, especially if you are right about something and refuse to back down. We have all experienced it before! Undecided
29-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Fools rush in... that's arrogant. Big Grin

I do some rushing in. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-02-2012, 10:07 AM
(28-02-2012 06:36 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

Being condescending is talking down to someone. Talking to them as though they are stupid. Tone of voice factors in a lot, you would say someone has a 'condescending tone'.

Kinda like if I answered your question by going;

'I can't believe you don't know what condescension is, everyone knows what it is, how stupid are you? It's when you talk down to someone. God, I can't believe I had to explain that to you'.
Ok...
It's clear to me now.
That IS indeed the worst for of arrogance.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
29-02-2012, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 10:32 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-02-2012 10:07 AM)Observer Wrote:  
(28-02-2012 06:36 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

Ok...
It's clear to me now.
That IS indeed the worst for of arrogance.

Condescension is even worse than Hughsie makes it out because it implies that you do not even have the intellectual capacity to comprehend what I am saying.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.