Define "reality"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2011, 02:23 PM
RE: Define "reality"
(31-10-2011 02:17 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  Reality is really fucked up! Wink

In that context, reality is the universe. And that video talks about breakthroughs in physics that tells them something about the universe.

Poor naming really. It has nothing to do with the philosophical question.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2011, 03:30 PM
(31-10-2011 02:23 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  In that context, reality is the universe. And that video talks about breakthroughs in physics that tells them something about the universe.

Poor naming really. It has nothing to do with the philosophical question.

I thought reality *is* the universe... ? Not our model of the universe sure, but the actual universe which we try to figure out how it works with physics?
01-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Philosophy is the science of truth. Science is the philosophy of knowing how to lie to keep shit real.

Reality is emergence baby! Big Grin

(I consider that "objective reality" is most probable waveform of collective "subjective realities." Science is re-evaluating "subjective reality;" fucking cantor may know something - watch out! Tongue)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the replys peeps..........I reserved judgment because I knew that asking this question was pretty much like describing something abstract.......that is a lot of people may agree on the basic shape, but on closer inspection we all see different patterns.

As an observer you can co-create reality......so everything might not be real.....the only thing that is real is you (or in my case....me)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Reality is what we claim to understand of our universe. However, we cannot fully understand it until we determine it's incomprehensibilities.
04-11-2011, 09:30 PM
(04-11-2011 01:24 AM)bemore Wrote:  Thanks for the replys peeps..........I reserved judgment because I knew that asking this question was pretty much like describing something abstract.......that is a lot of people may agree on the basic shape, but on closer inspection we all see different patterns.

As an observer you can co-create reality......so everything might not be real.....the only thing that is real is you (or in my case....me)

Reality is the realization that it may or may not be where our attempts to discover it leads us.

'When it touble, when in doubt
lauugh and cry, scream and shout'
06-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Off to the urbandictionary! Here a few I like:

1 - "A delusionary mental status caused by a pronounced deficiency of alcohol in the bloodstream."

4 - "A fucked up dream."

11 - "The universal form of resistance. Whatever resists us is reality."

16 - "Reality is what you make of it." - Bender, Futurama

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
07-11-2011, 01:47 AM
(06-11-2011 07:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Off to the urbandictionary! Here a few I like:

1 - "A delusionary mental status caused by a pronounced deficiency of alcohol in the bloodstream."

4 - "A fucked up dream."

11 - "The universal form of resistance. Whatever resists us is reality."

16 - "Reality is what you make of it." - Bender, Futurama
tao is the essence of motion. 11 restates as tao is inertia. Wink

I like them definitions.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
07-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Cover your ears, and block your eyes, everything that's going around you now is reality. Trying to actually see and hear it is the problem. Here's some General Relativity that I remember.

Take for example a black hole. Let's say you and a friend were in a space ship and (by the power of God! Dodgy ) could stay close to one. Then your friend decides to get a closer look (we all have friends who're nuts Wink ). He can't resist the gravity of the black hole (he's a sinner Big Grin ) and falls in. From your perspective in the ship, he wouldn't even be sucked in. At any rate, you would see him slowing down, and getting a red tint that grows even redder the more he slows. By his perspective, however, he would be going through a very painful process of spaghettification (stretching out vertically and squeezed in horizontally) on his one way trip to the singularity. This is just one type of black hole; Schwarzschild's black hole, a black hole with mass, no rotation, and no electric charge.

There is one other type, which I believe causes other perspectives; the Reissner-Norström black hole, or a "charged" black hole. With that one, when you get to the inner horizon, the black hole from your perspective actually gets smaller, and then when you actually get to the inner horizon, you'd see a bright flash of light, that is the light from the outside of the universe that is infinitely stored in the inner horizon.
I'm just going by what I read in the past, and seeing as how that's just general relativity, and science is so huge in it's awesomeness, I'm convinced that what we perceive with our eyes and our ears could be wrong on so many levels, but it doesn't bother me none, to be honest.

"You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” -Siddhārtha Gautama
"I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.” -Lao Tzu
"...thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself..." -Jesus
08-11-2011, 10:13 AM
I can tell you what reality ISN'T.

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.