Defining God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Defining God.
It is a common topic to talk about what a god should or should not be. Especially when done from a philosophical angle. We talk about whether god is omnipotent and/or omniscient. Whether or not god is eternal . Whether god is omni-benevolent or not, and so on. While the moral angle of god is definitely capable of being accessed, at least in my opinion. What I've come to think over is whether the same can be said for the other attributes of god.

Of course we can point out the contradictions of certain claims. Like how a strict omnipotence leads to the rock paradox or how omnipotence and omniscience are mutually incompatible with one another. Yet outside of that we really don't have a means of determining who we would call god or how we could determine that this god was...well god.

For instance, say that a being came to our attention and claimed that it was god. Now our reaction might be to say that it needed to prove so. So it made a planet appear out right next to us in space without effecting our orbit. Would this be enough to say that this being was in fact a god? After all while extraordinary, this could just be a exceptionally powerful being. One that can make planets appear in space but not affect other planets around it. Such a being could do even greater things potentially and yet, with our only definitions of god being omnipotent, we might have a hard time drawing a line between a exceptionally powerful being and a non contradictory all-powerful being. We could keep demanding greater test but so long as it could pass them then we would still not know where we could draw that line between omnipotent and exceptional power.

This is just my thoughts and I hope that I could put them clearly. I also would like to hear what your's are. How would you define god?

Just an outsider looking inn.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2013, 12:50 AM
RE: Defining God.
How can you define something that doesn't exist? Imagine having to define a new form of matter that isn't actually there. You cant see it, smell it, touch it or measure it in any way and there is no mathematics or scientific evidence for its existence in the first place. How would you describe the structure of it? Or how it reacts to extreme heat and cold?

You cant. It's all opinion based assumption. Which is IMO kinda pointless.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoughtful Nate's post
05-03-2013, 02:00 AM
(05-03-2013 12:06 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  It is a common topic to talk about what a god should or should not be. Especially when done from a philosophical angle. We talk about whether god is omnipotent and/or omniscient. Whether or not god is eternal . Whether god is omni-benevolent or not, and so on. While the moral angle of god is definitely capable of being accessed, at least in my opinion. What I've come to think over is whether the same can be said for the other attributes of god.

Of course we can point out the contradictions of certain claims. Like how a strict omnipotence leads to the rock paradox or how omnipotence and omniscience are mutually incompatible with one another. Yet outside of that we really don't have a means of determining who we would call god or how we could determine that this god was...well god.

For instance, say that a being came to our attention and claimed that it was god. Now our reaction might be to say that it needed to prove so. So it made a planet appear out right next to us in space without effecting our orbit. Would this be enough to say that this being was in fact a god? After all while extraordinary, this could just be a exceptionally powerful being. One that can make planets appear in space but not affect other planets around it. Such a being could do even greater things potentially and yet, with our only definitions of god being omnipotent, we might have a hard time drawing a line between a exceptionally powerful being and a non contradictory all-powerful being. We could keep demanding greater test but so long as it could pass them then we would still not know where we could draw that line between omnipotent and exceptional power.

This is just my thoughts and I hope that I could put them clearly. I also would like to hear what your's are. How would you define god?

Step 1: Write an algorithm that describes a being who knows one fact from the set of all facts and can do one thing from the set of all doable things.
Step 2: Take that algorithm and modify it so that it describes a being that it knows one additional fact from the set of all facts and can do one additional thing from the set of all doable things.
Step 3: Repeat step 2 an infinite number of times.

Result: You have an algorithm that describes a being who knows all facts even if there are an infinite number of facts and can do all things even if there are infinite number of things that can be done.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
05-03-2013, 02:05 AM
(05-03-2013 02:00 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 12:06 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  It is a common topic to talk about what a god should or should not be. Especially when done from a philosophical angle. We talk about whether god is omnipotent and/or omniscient. Whether or not god is eternal . Whether god is omni-benevolent or not, and so on. While the moral angle of god is definitely capable of being accessed, at least in my opinion. What I've come to think over is whether the same can be said for the other attributes of god.

Step 1: Write an algorithm that describes a being who knows one fact from the set of all facts and can do one thing from the set of all doable things.
Step 2: Take that algorithm and modify it so that it describes a being that it knows one additional fact from the set of all facts and can do one additional thing from the set of all doable things.

Result: You have an algorithm that describes a being who knows all facts even if there are an infinite number of facts and can do all things even if there are infinite number of things that can be done.

And when you're all done, you'll have a really great algorhythm for a work of fiction. HWJBE I forgive you for another nonsense post.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-03-2013, 02:14 AM
(05-03-2013 02:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 02:00 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Step 1: Write an algorithm that describes a being who knows one fact from the set of all facts and can do one thing from the set of all doable things.

And when you're all done, you'll have a really great algorhythm for a work of fiction. HWJBE I forgive you for another nonsense post.
In the landscape of all agorithms that describe actual and potential intelligent/able beings(regardless if those beings exist or not)...the one that describes you is towards the bottom.

05-03-2013, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 03:05 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(05-03-2013 02:14 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 02:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  And when you're all done, you'll have a really great algorhythm for a work of fiction. HWJBE I forgive you for another nonsense post.
In the landscape of all agorithms that describe actual and potential intelligent/able beings(regardless if those beings exist or not)...the one that describes you is towards the bottom.

I forgive you for that. (BTW, we all notice you deflected the attention from the fact that you in no way demonstrated that your piece of crap idea had any validity.)

Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

05-03-2013, 02:47 AM
(05-03-2013 02:14 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 02:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  And when you're all done, you'll have a really great algorhythm for a work of fiction. HWJBE I forgive you for another nonsense post.
The "bottom" of landscapes is the foreground...
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
05-03-2013, 02:50 AM
(05-03-2013 12:06 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  How would you define god?
Dead.

[Image: giphy.gif]
05-03-2013, 02:53 AM
(05-03-2013 02:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I forgive you for that. (BTW, we all notice you deflected the attention from the fcat that you in no way demonstrated that you piece of crap idea had any validity.)

I was making a point at your expense. The algorithm that describes any human being is going to be toward the bottom. While you may be toward the bottom, I'm there with you but just an impreceptiable amount higher.

05-03-2013, 03:08 AM
(05-03-2013 02:53 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 02:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I forgive you for that. (BTW, we all notice you deflected the attention from the fcat that you in no way demonstrated that you piece of crap idea had any validity.)

I was making a point at your expense. The algorithm that describes any human being is going to be toward the bottom. While you may be toward the bottom, I'm there with you but just an impreceptiable amount higher.

Sorry, it would be difficult for you to do anything at my expense, and you have deflected yet again. Provide some evidence, please that the algorhythm BS has any validity. (BTW, have you ever thought about getting help for your poor self-esteem ?) That business of you standing in front of your mirror telling yourself you are crap is really disturbed.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post