Defining evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Defining evolution
Does anyone take issue with this definition of evolution?

Evolution is a process whereby small changes in the heritiable
characteristics of a population accumulate thru a selective filter over successive
generations. The accumulation of these changes ultimately result in significant increase in one or more of the following: complexity, diversity, and knowledge.

When I discuss evolution in this forum in the future this is the definition I intend to use. I want this thread to be about any objections or suggested modifications to this definition of evolution.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2013, 09:44 PM
RE: Defining evolution
Biological evolution refers to the cumulative changes that occur in a population over time. These changes are produced at the genetic level as organisms' genes mutate and/or recombine in different ways during reproduction and are passed on to future generations. Sometimes, individuals inherit new characteristics that give them a survival and reproductive advantage in their local environments; these characteristics tend to increase in frequency in the population, while those that are disadvantageous decrease in frequency. This process of differential survival and reproduction is known as natural selection.

Taken from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/librar...1.html#Q01

I don't agree with the inclusion of the wording "selective filter".

You can dump your entire last sentence, its crap because it is both limiting and untrue.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
01-03-2013, 09:57 PM
(01-03-2013 09:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Biological evolution refers to the cumulative changes that occur in a population over time. These changes are produced at the genetic level as organisms' genes mutate and/or recombine in different ways during reproduction and are passed on to future generations. Sometimes, individuals inherit new characteristics that give them a survival and reproductive advantage in their local environments; these characteristics tend to increase in frequency in the population, while those that are disadvantageous decrease in frequency. This process of differential survival and reproduction is known as natural selection.

You can dump your entire last sentence, its crap because it is both limiting and untrue.

The problem I have with the definition you provided is that it is limited to biology. I don't believe evolution is exclusive to biology. For instance why couldn't self replicating robots begin to evolve?

Whats is wrong with "selective filter" and what would you replace it with?

What is limited by the last sentence and what do you find to be untrue?
01-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Evolution is the change of allele frequencies within a population as described by population genetics, driven by natural selection, sexual selection, and genetic drift, with the raw genetic information that these processes act on being provided by random mutation in the organisms' genome through a variety of errors caused in DNA replication in the organisms' gametes during meiosis. The epigenome also provides a source of novelty for evolution to act on.

Look up the bolded words on wikipedia if you didn't take high school biology.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 5 users Like Phaedrus's post
01-03-2013, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2013 10:31 PM by Full Circle.)
(01-03-2013 09:57 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-03-2013 09:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Biological evolution refers to the cumulative changes that occur in a population over time. These changes are produced at the genetic level as organisms' genes mutate and/or recombine in different ways during reproduction and are passed on to future generations. Sometimes, individuals inherit new characteristics that give them a survival and reproductive advantage in their local environments; these characteristics tend to increase in frequency in the population, while those that are disadvantageous decrease in frequency. This process of differential survival and reproduction is known as natural selection.

The problem I have with the definition you provided is that it is limited to biology. I don't believe evolution is exclusive to biology. For instance why couldn't self replicating robots begin to evolve?

Let's try to stick to biological evolution shall we?

"Selective filter" is a bogus add-on, you won't find it used anywhere in any credible scientific journal or by any peer-reviewed scientist. I think you are adding it like you did in your other thread to massage a supernatural being into the mix. Remove.

"Significant" - not always
"Increase" - not necessarily
"Complexity" - not necessarily
"Diversity" - not necessarily
"Knowledge" - WTF?

The definition I provided is clear, concise and has no superfluous adjectives.

Anyway I've read your responses or lack thereof on the other threads to think we're going to get anywhere here. Surprise me and simply use the definition I provided to discuss biological evolution. Better yet use Phaedrus'.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
01-03-2013, 10:45 PM
(01-03-2013 10:27 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(01-03-2013 09:57 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The problem I have with the definition you provided is that it is limited to biology. I don't believe evolution is exclusive to biology. For instance why couldn't self replicating robots begin to evolve?

Let's try to stick to biological evolution shall we?
<snip>
Anyway I've read your responses or lack thereof on the other threads to think we're going to get anywhere here. Surprise me and simply use the definition I provided to discuss biological evolution. Better yet use Phaedrus'.
What if I am going to discuss biological and non-biological evolution. What definition of evolution should I use then? Or is it your position that evolution is a biological process only and simply cannot occur in other realms?
01-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Pick a single topic and stick with it, kid.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
01-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Outside of the field of biology, evolution is defined as "the gradual development of something, especially from a simple to a more complex form". Why don't you use that one instead of making up your own definitions? Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
01-03-2013, 10:52 PM
(01-03-2013 10:47 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Outside of the field of biology, evolution is defined as "the gradual development of something, especially from a simple to a more complex form". Why don't you use that one instead of making up your own definitions? Drinking Beverage
Its a little too broad. I need something that goes into the process of how evolution generates complexity, diversity, etc.
01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Yeah. We have that.

Evolution is the change of allele frequencies within a population as described by population genetics, driven by natural selection, sexual selection, and genetic drift, with the raw genetic information that these processes act on being provided by random mutation in the organisms' genome through a variety of errors caused in DNA replication in the organisms' gametes during meiosis. The epigenome also provides a source of novelty for evolution to act on.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.