Defining evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2013, 11:11 PM
RE: Defining evolution
(01-03-2013 10:52 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(01-03-2013 10:47 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Outside of the field of biology, evolution is defined as "the gradual development of something, especially from a simple to a more complex form". Why don't you use that one instead of making up your own definitions? Drinking Beverage
Its a little too broad. I need something that goes into the process of how evolution generates complexity, diversity, etc.

Why are you constraining yourself to accepted definitions? And why, for fuck's sake are you asking anyone here what they think of your made-up, preferred definitions if in the end you're going to use whatever suits your needs? I'm leaving your funhouse of bullshit, you aren't being genuine or serious. Goodbye.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2013, 11:47 PM
(01-03-2013 11:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Why are you constraining yourself to accepted definitions? And why, for fuck's sake are you asking anyone here what they think of your made-up, preferred definitions if in the end you're going to use whatever suits your needs? I'm leaving your funhouse of bullshit, you aren't being genuine or serious. Goodbye.

Find me an accepted definition that is not exclusive to biology, that speaks in a general sense how evolution works, and specifies the results and I will consider it.

I found this one on TalkOrgins.org

"Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations."

I like it, they claim it is a good scientific definition, but Alas....it doesn't satisfy my criteria. Anyways I modified my definition somewhat to address your objections.

Evolution is a process whereby small changes in the heritiable
characteristics of a population accumulate thru a selection mechanism over successive
generations. The accumulation of these changes can result in significant increase in one or more of the following: complexity, diversity, and knowledge.

Does anyone object to this definition?
01-03-2013, 11:48 PM
We told you. It stinks.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
01-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Why not look in one of your text books for a definition ? Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop fucking it up with your prayers. Oh look. See what I LEARNED.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
02-03-2013, 12:00 AM
(01-03-2013 11:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Why not look in one of your text books for a definition ? Weeping
I sold them back so I don't have them anymore.
02-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Yes, I object to your definition because it is inaccurate and doesn't apply to what we observe in reality.

If you want to coin a new term, perhaps Heywoodism and give it that definition, sure why not.
Your definition would then describe what ?

Create some creatures from your imagination that exhibit heywoodism, because real biological creatures do not.

Essentially this is pointless. Making up your own definitions that don't apply to the real world.
Almost sounds biblical.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
02-03-2013, 12:11 AM
(02-03-2013 12:06 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Yes, I object to your definition because it is inaccurate and doesn't apply to what we observe in reality.

If you want to coin a new term, perhaps Heywoodism and give it that definition, sure why not.
Your definition would then describe what ?

Create some creatures from your imagination that exhibit heywoodism, because real biological creatures do not.

Essentially this is pointless. Making up your own definitions that don't apply to the real world.
Almost sounds biblical.
You're not helping if you don't say what exactly is inaccurate. Point out the flaw so I may change it our we can discuss it.
02-03-2013, 12:18 AM
He already did.

Do you have short term memory loss or something?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
02-03-2013, 12:26 AM
(02-03-2013 12:18 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  He already did.

Do you have short term memory loss or something?
Phaedrus, I think a lot of people on this forum are wise and insightful. You're not one of them.
02-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Oh, give me a break. We all know you're a troll, "hey would 'ja blow me". You've demonstrated that you are intentionally dishonest and willfully ignorant. All you've done is try to redefine concepts that you barely understand so that you can squeeze in your god figure. Whenever anyone addresses an argument you either ignore it or side step it, and as soon as it drops off the page you forget that the argument even existed (hence short term memory loss).

I say there's a fairly solid chance you're a poe, though most likely you're just homeschooled trailer trash who just discovered internet forums...

The only reason people are posting in your threads is as practice for actual debates. If they can put up with bullshit and evasions and dishonesty as thick as yours they can handle any real debater.

So give us some target practice, instead of farting around with your lame redefinition of evolution. My definition of evolution: accept or no?

Evolution is the change of allele frequencies within a population as described by population genetics, driven by natural selection, sexual selection, and genetic drift, with the raw genetic information that these processes act on being provided by random mutation in the organisms' genome through a variety of errors caused in DNA replication in the organisms' gametes during meiosis. The epigenome also provides a source of novelty for evolution to act on.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post