Defining god.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2013, 02:11 PM
RE: Defining god.
(24-01-2013 01:59 PM)rastathecontroller Wrote:  
(24-01-2013 01:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  Please provide objective evidence.

I can't prove to you that my soul has left my body, for the same reason cavemen couldn't prove atoms exist; our technology is too primitive. You could have an out of body experience (OBE) yourself which is probably the only way to prove it as of right now. But if you aren't willing to attempt, you just don't want to prove yourself wrong.

Neither your personal experience nor mine nor anyone else's is objective evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Astral projection.. hmm. That sounds like schizo stuff.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
Find all posts by this user
24-01-2013, 03:59 PM
(24-01-2013 01:16 PM)rastathecontroller Wrote:  I define god as the all knowing subconscious that exists in everyone and connects us all. In other words, god is your soul
(24-01-2013 01:44 PM)rastathecontroller Wrote:  Recent studies have shown vast amounts of evidence regarding mass consciousness. And astral projection is blatant proof of a soul.

[Image: 270870d1347208702-real-biker-not-this-shit-again.jpg]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
24-01-2013, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2013 05:23 PM by Aseptic Skeptic.)
(24-01-2013 01:44 PM)rastathecontroller Wrote:  And astral projection is blatant proof of a soul.
And Sasquatch is blatant proof of the Loch Ness Monster.

And Harry Potter is blatant proof of Jedi.

And unicorns are blatant proof of fairies.

See, I can do it too.

edit: fixed the font size

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
24-01-2013, 05:01 PM
(24-01-2013 01:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-01-2013 01:16 PM)rastathecontroller Wrote:  I define god as the all knowing subconscious that exists in everyone and connects us all. In other words, god is your soul

Except for the small problem of there being no evidence for an 'all knowing subconscious' or a 'soul'.
Where you and I see no evidence other see evidence. More clearly there is no evidence that is convincing enough to change a persons mind who is thinking logically, without mental defects, or prejudice based on the indoctrination which has been socially promoted. Hmm...then again I don't know how to explain the likes of Plato...where the fuck did he get his shit from? Maybe he was just plain nuts.

24-01-2013, 05:06 PM
(24-01-2013 01:59 PM)rastathecontroller Wrote:  
(24-01-2013 01:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  Please provide objective evidence.

I can't prove to you that my soul has left my body, for the same reason cavemen couldn't prove atoms exist; our technology is too primitive. You could have an out of body experience (OBE) yourself which is probably the only way to prove it as of right now. But if you aren't willing to attempt, you just don't want to prove yourself wrong.
I have had three out of body experiences. In one of those I ascended into space. All three of these were drug free experiences. None of this proves to myself, or others that I have some kind of soul. It certainly implies nothing of my being being immortal, or eternal. Not proof...inspiration maybe, but hardly proof.

24-01-2013, 05:09 PM
(24-01-2013 05:01 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(24-01-2013 01:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  Except for the small problem of there being no evidence for an 'all knowing subconscious' or a 'soul'.
Where you and I see no evidence other see evidence. More clearly there is no evidence that is convincing enough to change a persons mind who is thinking logically, without mental defects, or prejudice based on the indoctrination which has been socially promoted. Hmm...then again I don't know how to explain the likes of Plato...where the fuck did he get his shit from? Maybe he was just plain nuts.
He was a great fan of Socrates the great questioner.
It is good to ask questions and be sceptical; as for being 100%
sure of anything, indefinitely ; not to be recommended.

" Madness is divine" Plato.
24-01-2013, 05:33 PM
(24-01-2013 05:09 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(24-01-2013 05:01 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Where you and I see no evidence other see evidence. More clearly there is no evidence that is convincing enough to change a persons mind who is thinking logically, without mental defects, or prejudice based on the indoctrination which has been socially promoted. Hmm...then again I don't know how to explain the likes of Plato...where the fuck did he get his shit from? Maybe he was just plain nuts.
He was a great fan of Socrates the great questioner.
It is good to ask questions and be sceptical; as for being 100%
sure of anything, indefinitely ; not to be recommended.

" Madness is divine" Plato.
Plato went far beyond questioning. Look here if you dare.

24-01-2013, 09:38 PM
(22-01-2013 04:34 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(20-01-2013 05:48 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  A friend of mine, a militant agnostic

I don't think agnosticism is really as simplistic as your brief depictions indicate. Consider
24-01-2013, 09:43 PM
God is often conceived as the supreme being and principal object of faith.

In all other definitions God is just some idea that has another name.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp