Definition of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Definition of Atheism
It is actually surprising to me that we have a term for the lack of something that is often coined a "belief"

Oftentimes, people say atheism is the "belief" that god doesn't exist...it's sort of a double negative. We do not "believe" there is no god, we lack the belief in god.

Think of another widespread belief, say, Patriotism. The belief that our country is better than all the rest. Is there a term for someone that doesn't believe that? Terrorist? Idk, please discuss

Man created God in his image
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2012, 09:00 AM
RE: Definition of Atheism
Oh noes! Not another one! Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
31-10-2012, 09:04 AM
What HoC means to say is, this horse has been beaten thoroughly on this forum.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
31-10-2012, 09:05 AM
(31-10-2012 08:58 AM)Darkish2010 Wrote:  It is actually surprising to me that we have a term for the lack of something that is often coined a "belief"

Oftentimes, people say atheism is the "belief" that god doesn't exist...it's sort of a double negative. We do not "believe" there is no god, we lack the belief in god.

Think of another widespread belief, say, Patriotism. The belief that our country is better than all the rest. Is there a term for someone that doesn't believe that? Terrorist? Idk, please discuss

Is it that hard to know what a word/term means?

Theism=believe in god/gods
Atheism=lack of believe in god/gods

Its simple, the letter A changes the term from "believe" to "disbelieve"

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
31-10-2012, 09:09 AM
(31-10-2012 09:04 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  What HoC means to say is, this horse has been beaten thoroughly on this forum.

I hear that horse is a delicacy in some places. If it becomes thoroughly beaten and tenderized, does it taste better?
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
31-10-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm not sure, but it apparently tastes a lot like beef. Anyone ever tried it?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
31-10-2012, 09:12 AM
The way I heard it, McDonalds was feeding us horse (and kangaroo) for a long time, calling it a "hamburger." Dodgy

31-10-2012, 09:23 AM
(31-10-2012 09:12 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The way I heard it, McDonalds was feeding us horse (and kangaroo) for a long time, calling it a "hamburger." Dodgy

Hey, Hey, Hey! Kangaroo is fucking terrific, there is nothing wrong, with roo meat!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Well, I recently had this discussion elsewhere and here is my take. The original meaning of atheism is just as SomeOne wrote above. Given the structure of the English language that is the correct definition - lack of belief in god/gods.

However, I don't think the definition ends there and here is why. Meanings of words change over time. Take the word "gay", for example which originally meant "happy". Then people started to incorrectly apply the term to homosexuals. Today, "gay" = "homosexual" has become so commonplace that it's an acceptable and correct alternative meaning even found in dictionaries.

Many people (technically incorrectly) believe that atheism means believing no god exists. And it is commonplace for the term to be misused that way. Like it or not, there's no stopping this variant and I think it is therefore becoming, if not already so, an alternative acceptable definition of atheism. While not linguistically correct, it doesn't have to be.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
31-10-2012, 09:25 AM
(31-10-2012 09:23 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 09:12 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The way I heard it, McDonalds was feeding us horse (and kangaroo) for a long time, calling it a "hamburger." Dodgy

Hey, Hey, Hey! Kangaroo is fucking terrific, there is nothing wrong, with roo meat!

But they're cute. It's like eating kittens. Tongue