Definition of "a reality"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2017, 11:53 PM
RE: Definition of "a reality"
I still do think this kind of thing holds some merit, simply because it demonstrates what lengths I need to go to in order to "model" what many woo people put forward. It shows the unnecessary level of complication and assumption that they are claiming to be factual, rather than just possibilities floating in the ether.

And of course, as soon as you've finished defining things so that they are out of reach: you've lost all possible rational reasons to believe it is real. You may as well just make up whatever unfalsifiable shit you like, it has just as much explanatory power.

This would also be a way of looking at the "multiverse" hypothesis, with all these parallel subrealities that are presumably self-contained.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2017, 07:06 AM
RE: Definition of "a reality"
(22-06-2017 11:53 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I still do think this kind of thing holds some merit, simply because it demonstrates what lengths I need to go to in order to "model" what many woo people put forward. It shows the unnecessary level of complication and assumption that they are claiming to be factual, rather than just possibilities floating in the ether.

And of course, as soon as you've finished defining things so that they are out of reach: you've lost all possible rational reasons to believe it is real. You may as well just make up whatever unfalsifiable shit you like, it has just as much explanatory power.

This would also be a way of looking at the "multiverse" hypothesis, with all these parallel subrealities that are presumably self-contained.

The is the old problem of evidence, of "proof". Falsifiability (Popper), Verifiability (Flew). Supernaturalism which is not seemingly verifiable or falsifiable is a fine gap in which to stick God. Then it's all a matter or argument by definition. And a side order of God is incomprehensible to mere mortals.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post