Definition of truth and how to recognize it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2012, 05:48 PM
RE: Definition of truth and how to recognize it
This subject was done before http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...to+find+it Maybe you'd be interested to see what people said then.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2012, 06:14 PM
There is only ever one truth, and it is the reality at that specific point in time to which a question refers.

For example, what are the dimensions of that particular box? There is only one correct measurement that answers the question.

It can also be more complex. For example, does coffee taste good? That depends on the person - some like it, others hate it, and it depends on the type and time of day and mood. There are 7 billion yes and no answers, but all of those are part of the same truth - taste is a personal opinion, so the correct question is, "does this cup of coffee taste good to 'X' right now?"

Another example is, do you like driving cars? One may say yes, because he likes driving his car, but he also hates being in his car when he has to sit through traffic jams on his way to work. He both loves and hates driving. The love/hate is situational, and because the question is too broadly stated, there is a more complex answer than yes or no. He answers with two completely opposite responses, but both are true in respect to the specific circumstances to which they refer.

Truth is always absolute; you just have to define the question properly, and understand that answers can be multifaceted.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
13-12-2012, 06:34 PM
(13-12-2012 08:24 AM)Why? Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 04:18 AM)Troll Wrote:  So certain kind of truth is defined as the set of information one can get using certain kind of methods. But the same way you can define
Biblical truth- information you can get by reading the Bible
astrological truth-information you can get using astrology

Is there any fundamental reason why objective truth should be more valid than astrological truth?
What you are proposing is. If I read my horoscope everyday and it tells me I will meet a tall dark stranger and everyday I do meet a tall dark stranger then that will only be true until the day I don't. From then on it can never be true. No matter how many times after that first time I don't meet one I do meet one the hypothesis has failed. It's like flipping a coin. If you call heads and it comes up heads for 100 times doesn't mean that it will always come up heads unless it's a double headed coin
As for biblical truth (oxymoron). All books contain some truths even fiction
I wasnt talking about this at all. Instead i want to know what means the word "truth" to you and how do you recognize it.
And your response would probably be something like: claims which are justified by reason, evidence and science.
My question is: why should anyone care about reason, evidence and science?
And i think the only good response is: because it will improve our lives and make us happier

Which is OK for me, but it s exactly the same argument as when theist is saying: "i belive, because beliving makes me happier".
So you should either explain where and why i m wrong or publcaly admit that some theists are right Evil_monster

Trolls are holy race. Eduard Khil is our god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8
13-12-2012, 08:22 PM
I don't even know if it is worth it, getting into a discussion with you, and that's the truth. Thumbsup

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2012, 01:46 AM
(13-12-2012 06:34 PM)Troll Wrote:  And i think the only good response is: because it will improve our lives and make us happier
Don't you just hate it when you want to make people say things and they don't cooperate since they know better? Laughat

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
14-12-2012, 06:58 AM
(14-12-2012 01:46 AM)Observer Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 06:34 PM)Troll Wrote:  And i think the only good response is: because it will improve our lives and make us happier
Don't you just hate it when you want to make people say things and they don't cooperate since they know better? Laughat
I would be happy to see better justification for science, but i havent seen it yet and probably it doesnt exist. I watched few famous atheists like Dawkins and Dillahunty trying to prove there is something more in science than just benefits, but they werent very successful (but for example Lawrence Krauss would fully agree with me here).

If you think you can do this, just post it here.

14-12-2012, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2012 09:31 AM by Vosur.)
(13-12-2012 06:34 PM)Troll Wrote:  My question is: why should anyone care about reason, evidence and science?
And i think the only good response is: because it will improve our lives and make us happier

Which is OK for me, but it s exactly the same argument as when theist is saying: "i belive, because beliving makes me happier".
So you should either explain where and why i m wrong or publcaly admit that some theists are right Evil_monster
Nonsense. People care about reason, evidence and science not because it makes them happier, but because they are the most objective, consistent and efficient tools we have to gather knowledge about the Universe we live in.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
14-12-2012, 12:37 PM
(14-12-2012 06:58 AM)Troll Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 01:46 AM)Observer Wrote:  Don't you just hate it when you want to make people say things and they don't cooperate since they know better? Laughat
I would be happy to see better justification for science, but i havent seen it yet and probably it doesnt exist. I watched few famous atheists like Dawkins and Dillahunty trying to prove there is something more in science than just benefits, but they werent very successful (but for example Lawrence Krauss would fully agree with me here).

If you think you can do this, just post it here.
and please do tell me why there ought be...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
14-12-2012, 01:20 PM
(14-12-2012 09:27 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 06:34 PM)Troll Wrote:  My question is: why should anyone care about reason, evidence and science?

Nonsense. People care about reason, evidence and science not because it makes them happier, but because they are the most objective, consistent and efficient tools we have to gather knowledge about the Universe we live in.
Nonsense Tongue . Why do you think we focus so much on science and have millions of scientists employed? Because they are providing some kind of higher truths and useless knowledge about the Universe or because they are able to produce something useful like medicines and computers?

14-12-2012, 01:36 PM
(14-12-2012 12:37 PM)Observer Wrote:  and please do tell me why there ought be...
I think we have the same opinion about everything i m talking about in this topic. I would love to tell you that you re wrong, but that would make me contradict myself Confused

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  God is imaginary by definition. rampant.a.i. 12 345 07-06-2014 10:26 PM
Last Post: UndercoverAtheist
  What Is Truth? Free 134 2,346 09-01-2014 09:02 AM
Last Post: Luminon
  Does Absolute Truth exist or not? Mike 62 2,437 12-11-2013 03:09 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  lies or the truth? Dom 64 2,337 11-12-2012 03:27 PM
Last Post: Vera
  'Truth' & Logic. Mr Woof 12 642 07-09-2012 05:58 AM
Last Post: Hafnof
  By definition, the Christian God cannot exist. TheKetola 17 1,400 07-04-2012 12:22 PM
Last Post: TheKetola
  What is Truth? Zat 26 1,102 30-01-2012 11:27 AM
Last Post: Starcrash