Definition of truth and how to recognize it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2012, 01:08 AM
RE: Definition of truth and how to recognize it
"I think, therefore I am" is not about absolute truth but was a response to being basically asked; how does one know they exist and are living reality? The response: "I think, therefore I am (existing)".

Definition of truth and how to recognize it?

Define love and tell me how to recognize it? Ask a hundred different people and you will get a hundred different answers. Tell me the different concepts and sub-categories of love and I am sure there are dozens, if not hundreds, just like there are different sorts of truths.

Maybe defining what truth is, is not important just as how one defines love, is not important?

Maybe it simply comes down to the experiences we share, maybe that is even more important than the definition? A definition of a word is nothing but more words. Experience, that is where you will find your truths.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kpax's post
16-12-2012, 03:45 AM
(16-12-2012 01:08 AM)kpax Wrote:  "I think, therefore I am" is not about absolute truth but was a response to being basically asked; how does one know they exist and are living reality? The response: "I think, therefore I am (existing)".

Definition of truth and how to recognize it?

Define love and tell me how to recognize it? Ask a hundred different people and you will get a hundred different answers. Tell me the different concepts and sub-categories of love and I am sure there are dozens, if not hundreds, just like there are different sorts of truths.

Maybe defining what truth is, is not important just as how one defines love, is not important?

Maybe it simply comes down to the experiences we share, maybe that is even more important than the definition? A definition of a word is nothing but more words. Experience, that is where you will find your truths.
As far as i know the whole point of "i think therefore i am" statement is that i exist even if everything is an illusion. Anyway i think this statement is more a definition of "I" than any real statement, except it tells us that something exists.

We shouldnt have lots of problems defining love, just check the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love
I know that modern christianity, new age and humanists have attached a lot of bullshit to the word love. If it turns them on when they are talking something like "everything is love", "god is love", "Jesus is love", "we should love everyone on Earth", that s OK, but it doesnt change the definition of love.

If you want think about something, it s nice to have everything well defined. Defining "truth=the experiences we share" is slightly problematic, because we know everyone can experience illusions.

Trolls are holy race. Eduard Khil is our god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8
16-12-2012, 07:01 AM
(16-12-2012 03:45 AM)Troll Wrote:  Defining "truth=the experiences we share" is slightly problematic, because we know everyone can experience illusions.

Good point here.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
17-12-2012, 10:40 AM
It is true that truth is not really true.
Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
17-12-2012, 12:35 PM
For me im 1 out of 7 billion people all living on the same planet. I know my own perception of truth and to some degree im right but in many more ways im probably wrong.

The judging of this is done by me with pressure/direction from the outside world. It can be a tiny detail to the ultimate question but only I will decide.

I am sentinent so and I see others sharing this experience that I define as reality from my own perspective. Our very involvment defining what it is we seek in some way. I am surrounded by life living its own truth, i am just a fractal of a bigger picture.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
19-12-2012, 09:41 PM
(16-12-2012 01:08 AM)kpax Wrote:  "I think, therefore I am" is not about absolute truth but was a response to being basically asked; how does one know they exist and are living reality? The response: "I think, therefore I am (existing)".

GirlyMan wrote an argument demolishing Descartes' Cogito when I was like 19 yo several decades ago.

(16-12-2012 01:08 AM)kpax Wrote:  Definition of truth and how to recognize it?

It's easy enough to do in a formal axiomatic system. But we don't find ourselves in a formal axiomatic system. There is no "truth" out here. Only consensus of interpretation.

(16-12-2012 01:08 AM)kpax Wrote:  Define love and tell me how to recognize it?

Love transcends logic. There is no standard for recognizing it. You know it when you see it.

(16-12-2012 01:08 AM)kpax Wrote:  Maybe defining what truth is, is not important just as how one defines love, is not important?

Love is all there is, the rest is just flotsam and jetsam.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-12-2012, 05:52 AM
(19-12-2012 09:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-12-2012 01:08 AM)kpax Wrote:  Definition of truth and how to recognize it?

It's easy enough to do in a formal axiomatic system. But we don't find ourselves in a formal axiomatic system. There is no "truth" out here. Only consensus of interpretation.
A question for you, because you look like mathematical g33k. From Godel's incomplteness theorem we know that under any formal axiomatic system there exists statement A, which cant be proven neither right nor wrong. Therefore statement not A is also unprovable. Do you include these statements in truth under your axiomatic system? If you do, then you truth has contradictions. If you dont, than your truth is incomplete and may not be able to tell us anything about existence of god for example. In any case people wont like you.

Trolls are holy race. Eduard Khil is our god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8
20-12-2012, 06:01 AM
what... you all looking for some truth? .... here

Fuck you all....

how's that for some truth? eh?

I mean really think about it.. from my stand point.. do I really know any of you? .. really? are you sure.. because all I see are names.. attactched to some posted thoughts via text.

If ya really think about it.. any one of you could die tomarrow ... and I wouldn't lose one minute of sleep over it.. fucked up ? yes .. but is it reality .. yes.

Now... I'd probrably be like.. "damn .. that sucks..." that's it .. nothing else.. .......

yes .. now i'm an asshole... i'm a horrible person.. but really ..... i'm just stating what is real and what is not.. that is all.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
20-12-2012, 06:50 AM
(20-12-2012 06:01 AM)ddrew Wrote:  what... you all looking for some truth? .... here

Fuck you all....

how's that for some truth? eh?

I mean really think about it.. from my stand point.. do I really know any of you? .. really? are you sure.. because all I see are names.. attactched to some posted thoughts via text.

If ya really think about it.. any one of you could die tomarrow ... and I wouldn't lose one minute of sleep over it.. fucked up ? yes .. but is it reality .. yes.

Now... I'd probrably be like.. "damn .. that sucks..." that's it .. nothing else.. .......

yes .. now i'm an asshole... i'm a horrible person.. but really ..... i'm just stating what is real and what is not.. that is all.
Preach it, brother. Cool

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
20-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Fact: an observation, competently made.
Theory: an explanation that accurately models known facts, and predicts surprising new facts that themselves are consequently observed.
Truth: the underlying physical reality.
Where: truth cannot be reliably known as distinct from theory. Bad theories can be rejected in favour of better theories but we can never know whether an accepted theory is true in any absolute sense. Therefore, colloquially, we equate truth with the best established and most widely accepted theories which, after all, have been shown to produce unerring predictions for cases we regularly encounter - at least to the degree required to successfully engineer space missions and produce enough food for the global population.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post