10-01-2014, 01:42 AM
Definitions of Lolita

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
10-01-2014, 04:40 AM
RE: Definitions of Lolita
(10-01-2014 01:42 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  

Hmm that was an interesting video and rather reminiscent of the heated debate we just had in the A&T section between Chas myself and Makellan about inherent meaning. It seems the problem that was discussed was one of cultural transference; the word Lolita in America (and I assume most of the english speaking word) has a rather hard and fast meaning but when the Japanese borrowed the word for use in their culture they did not also transfer that meaning. Now when the Otaku retransfer the phrase it has a wholly different meaning to the generally accepted meaning in American culture.

I would say that in a non-Otaku setting in America the traditional definition of Lolita would hold precedent unless it was predetermined (as it was in this case) that the Otaku definition was being used. The Artist that quit the project was initially correct (it is hard to say much more since no details were given about the debate) since he introduced the proposal with the Otaku definition and the others were quibbling over the traditional definition rather than the actual proposed one.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply