Degrading the God Concept

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-12-2011, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2011 05:14 PM by Mr Woof.)
Degrading the God Concept
As an atheist I am unable to prove the non existence of higher spiritual beings or a cosmic god of some sort. 'Non belief' is quite different from claiming certainty.

What really annoys me is the multitude of religious people who claim, through their faith, that their god holds the entire meaning and truth relevant to the Universe.
This contention is made even worse by fanatics who kill and endanger life as a result of their insane beliefs.

Herewith is a very small number of such beliefs.

(1) Islamic fanatics engaging in indiscriminate genocide to serve Allah; one would think a being in his alleged position would be capable of meting out his own revenge on his creations (b)Clitorectomies performed painfully on babies and small girls by old women using rusty razor blades with the sole intention of denying them sexual pleasure as women.
This claim is only directed to the fanatics involved in such practises.

(2) Judaism. The ridiculous claim that as "special people" they had been given Palestine for life. The seeming development of a persecution complex which in some instances may have lead to some degree of elitism culminating in Zionism.

(3) Christianity. Jehovah's Witnesses and Christian Science. In the former the receiving of blood has been refused, in accordance with a scriptural interpretation,the covering up of criminal acts such as paedopilia, to be dealt with by Church elders along with the breaking up of families where members refuse to toe the party line.
In Christian Science the avoidanceof conventional medical treatments, in some cases is but one instance of unfounded meddling.
Churches pushing confused versions about elect people destined for Heaven with the majority headed for Hell which was espoused in varying degrees by Augustine, Aquinas, Luther, and Calvin. This in particular is sick stuff and in no way conducive to the betterment of humanity. AS Ingersoll stated an evil god makes for an evil humanity.

AS with art, poetry, music and literature the Bible contains creativity and garbage and in the case of the latter there are many so called theological apologists who are making their cause even more remote by the moment.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Mr Woof's post
13-12-2011, 05:49 PM
RE: Degrading the God Concept
(13-12-2011 05:10 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  As an atheist I am unable to prove the non existence of higher spiritual beings or a cosmic god of some sort. 'Non belief' is quite different from claiming certainty.

What really annoys me is the multitude of religious people who claim, through their faith, that their god holds the entire meaning and truth relevant to the Universe.

Churches pushing confused versions about elect people destined for Heaven with the majority headed for Hell which was espoused in varying degrees by Augustine, Aquinas, Luther, and Calvin. This in particular is sick stuff and in no way conducive to the betterment of humanity. AS Ingersoll stated an evil god makes for an evil humanity.

AS with art, poetry, music and literature the Bible contains creativity and garbage and in the case of the latter there are many so called theological apologists who are making their cause even more remote by the moment.

Added to your list, I include Christians who state "I KNOW there's a god, proof is everywhere", then proceed to quote words from the bible as evidence/proof!

I agree entirely about heaven and hell, to which I add the sickest dogma of all, that humans are all "born sinners" who need "saving". What an outrageous insult to humanity! Anyone who seriously believes that doesn't deserve a life.

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
13-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Dood! Zero-state's verifiable. Big Grin

The best - by far - flavor of faith is atheist. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-12-2011, 06:07 PM
(13-12-2011 05:55 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Dood! Zero-state's verifiable. Big Grin

If I get your drift the megaopeness of open faith is as far as it goes.
The whole concept is difficult to express in words.Tongue
13-12-2011, 06:40 PM
(13-12-2011 06:07 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 05:55 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Dood! Zero-state's verifiable. Big Grin

Well, there that LC thread; eight pages and thousands of subdivisions. Big Grin

but it really comes down to simple math - complete with diagrams:

[Image: th_faith.jpg]

You are looking at my (faith) - the drive arm and lens from a Sony Discman. One night in November of 2005 I'm walking to work at 4 am; next thing I know, I got a gun to my head. This idiot wants my CD player.

But Gwynnie gave me that CD player. I was at the Century branch of the Phoenix library, drawing this thing:

[Image: th_ellen_13.jpg]

And a lady wanted me to draw her an Icon. I told her twenty bucks; then I messed it up and told her she might wanna wait another week... but she took the art, gave me $110 bucks; and I floated over to Best Buy next door to get Duets (soundtrack where my Gwynnie sings) and a unit to play it on. A year later, a gun was not enough. Ya simply don't take the Gwynnies from the Cantor. Big Grin

When the LC got me wound on religion, I used that piece of plastic as my religious symbol. But like all relic - it had too much mojo, so I passed it on. Got this upgrade:

[Image: th_l2.jpg]

I tell peeps I'm "Jewish in the manner of Ezekiel;" they don't question it. Moral of the story - faith is a real variable - but it's an empty-set variable. This thing above is "hand of god" recognizable to both Muslims and Jews; on my neck, it is my faith in Gwyneth Paltrow.

Here's how it works: one's "faith" is a measure of one's integrity and sincerity, earned over the course of a lifetime. Normally, it is considered only "passive;" i.e. "men of faith" are seen as having a moral character. You know the "traveling salesmen of salvation?" Invariably they recognize my moral character - and they do not come back - because I know sola fides.

When parity is achieved with moral certainty; i.e. one is content with "the vibe" one gives off, dual-state identity can be "invested" in the empty-set faith to produce a kinetic component. Consider my "set theory" thread - there's alla kinda science behind that contention, but it is the clarity of my moral certainty that tells me "set theory" is correct in the local universe. I don't go looking for science to validate it - the science seems to come to me - which only is offered as an example of "fishing concept from the Void," which is what one does with their kinetic faith.

And yeah, if my Gwynnies gives me the call; I'll put that thing around my neck and take care of business. But that doesn't make it "right," it doesn't make me "virtuous;" just makes me "most likely correct along the local paradigm." Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-12-2011, 07:09 PM
(13-12-2011 06:40 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

You are looking at my (faith) - the drive arm and lens from a Sony Discman. One night in November of 2005 I'm walking to work at 4 am; next thing I know, I got a gun to my head. This idiot wants my CD player.

But Gwynnie gave me that CD player. I was at the Century branch of the Phoenix library, drawing this thing:

And a lady wanted me to draw her an Icon. I told her twenty bucks; then I messed it up and told her she might wanna wait another week... but she took the art, gave me $110 bucks; and I floated over to Best Buy next door to get Duets (soundtrack where my Gwynnie sings) and a unit to play it on. A year later, a gun was not enough. Ya simply don't take the Gwynnies from the Cantor. Big Grin

When the LC got me wound on religion, I used that piece of plastic as my religious symbol. But like all relic - it had too much mojo, so I passed it on. Got this upgrade:

I tell peeps I'm "Jewish in the manner of Ezekiel;" they don't question it. Moral of the story - faith is a real variable - but it's an empty-set variable. This thing above is "hand of god" recognizable to both Muslims and Jews; on my neck, it is my faith in Gwyneth Paltrow.

Here's how it works: one's "faith" is a measure of one's integrity and sincerity, earned over the course of a lifetime. Normally, it is considered only "passive;" i.e. "men of faith" are seen as having a moral character. You know the "traveling salesmen of salvation?" Invariably they recognize my moral character - and they do not come back - because I know sola fides.

When parity is achieved with moral certainty; i.e. one is content with "the vibe" one gives off, dual-state identity can be "invested" in the empty-set faith to produce a kinetic component. Consider my "set theory" thread - there's alla kinda science behind that contention, but it is the clarity of my moral certainty that tells me "set theory" is correct in the local universe. I don't go looking for science to validate it - the science seems to come to me - which only is offered as an example of "fishing concept from the Void," which is what one does with their kinetic faith.

And yeah, if my Gwynnies gives me the call; I'll put that thing around my neck and take care of business. But that doesn't make it "right," it doesn't make me "virtuous;" just makes me "most likely correct along the local paradigm." Wink

HoC I wanted to isolate the "fishing concepts from the void bit" but lack the skill to compartmentalise....must work on it.
Largely you do not appear to be in disagreeance with OP.
May need to confer with Erxmai D.D.Idea
13-12-2011, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2011 07:50 PM by Erxomai.)
(13-12-2011 07:09 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 06:40 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

HoC I wanted to isolate the "fishing concepts from the void bit" but lack the skill to compartmentalise....must work on it.
Largely you do not appear to be in disagreeance with OP.
May need to confer with Erxmai D.D.Idea

I'm not sure I can be much help, Mr. W. I got hung up with astonishment that Gwynnies sings! Undecided

(13-12-2011 05:49 PM)Organon Wrote:  I agree entirely about heaven and hell, to which I add the sickest dogma of all, that humans are all "born sinners" who need "saving". What an outrageous insult to humanity! Anyone who seriously believes that doesn't deserve a life.

{N.B.: My following response is all about me and not about you.}
Last sentence could also be uttered by a jihadist of any faith. Makes me shudder just a bit. Undecided

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-12-2011, 08:02 PM
(13-12-2011 05:10 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  As an atheist I am unable to prove the non existence of higher spiritual beings or a cosmic god of some sort. 'Non belief' is quite different from claiming certainty.

This contention is made even worse by fanatics who kill and endanger life as a result of their insane beliefs.

I'm sorry, I just don't get this. Why? Why does what another human believe annoy you? So what it they believe that their god holds the answer to all truth in the universe? How does this directly affect you? If they aren't pushing their beliefs on you, why are you ridiculing their beliefs?

Not trying to sound rude, snarky, or impolite, but I don't understand this mindset.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-12-2011, 08:05 PM
All I can really say is fuck the idea of god .. and fuck religion..

.. now back to my beer.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
13-12-2011, 08:09 PM
(13-12-2011 08:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

I'm sorry, I just don't get this. Why? Why does what another human believe annoy you? So what it they believe that their god holds the answer to all truth in the universe? How does this directly affect you? If they aren't pushing their beliefs on you, why are you ridiculing their beliefs?

Not trying to sound rude, snarky, or impolite, but I don't understand this mindset.

I know for me, the annoyance with the beliefs of other people didn't really occur until I left the religion that holds the most sway in Western Culture. It's ok to be tolerant of a few atheists here and there as long as they stop trying to remove Nativity scenes from public buildings or start campaigns to take "under God" out of the Pledge of Allegiance. I now find myself on the other end of the spectrum and am somewhat of a minority, according to the polls. Christian beliefs annoy me because I am confronted with them everywhere. I think it is ridiculous to believe in a non-existent deity, yet if I want to watch the World Series, I have to hear someone sing "God, Bless America." Would you not find it annoying if you had to live in a land whose major population worshiped Satan? Would you enjoy it if you had to endure, "Lucifer, Bless America?" I know I would have a problem simply because now the meter of the verse has changed!

PS...yeah, what DD said. Lulz.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel