Degrading the God Concept

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-12-2011, 08:11 PM
RE: Degrading the God Concept
(13-12-2011 08:05 PM)ddrew Wrote:  All I can really say is fuck the idea of god .. and fuck religion..

I've fucked them all. They're all lousy lays. They just lie there beaming. Where's the fun in that. I can get that from my fleshlight.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-12-2011, 08:13 PM
(13-12-2011 08:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 08:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 05:10 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  As an atheist I am unable to prove the non existence of higher spiritual beings or a cosmic god of some sort. 'Non belief' is quite different from claiming certainty.

What really annoys me is the multitude of religious people who claim, through their faith, that their god holds the entire meaning and truth relevant to the Universe.
This contention is made even worse by fanatics who kill and endanger life as a result of their insane beliefs.

I'm sorry, I just don't get this. Why? Why does what another human believe annoy you? So what it they believe that their god holds the answer to all truth in the universe? How does this directly affect you? If they aren't pushing their beliefs on you, why are you ridiculing their beliefs?

Not trying to sound rude, snarky, or impolite, but I don't understand this mindset.

I know for me, the annoyance with the beliefs of other people didn't really occur until I left the religion that holds the most sway in Western Culture. It's ok to be tolerant of a few atheists here and there as long as they stop trying to remove Nativity scenes from public buildings or start campaigns to take "under God" out of the Pledge of Allegiance. I now find myself on the other end of the spectrum and am somewhat of a minority, according to the polls. Christian beliefs annoy me because I am confronted with them everywhere. I think it is ridiculous to believe in a non-existent deity, yet if I want to watch the World Series, I have to hear someone sing "God, Bless America." Would you not find it annoying if you had to live in a land whose major population worshiped Satan? Would you enjoy it if you had to endure, "Lucifer, Bless America?" I know I would have a problem simply because now the meter of the verse has changed!

PS...yeah, what DD said. Lulz.

I guess you're right. I never thought of it like that.

Sorry, Woof. Just ignore me.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
13-12-2011, 08:21 PM
(13-12-2011 08:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Sorry, Woof. Just ignore me.

Come on, KC...do you really think you have to tell Woof that? Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-12-2011, 08:33 PM
(13-12-2011 08:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm sorry, I just don't get this. Why? Why does what another human believe annoy you? So what it they believe that their god holds the answer to all truth in the universe? How does this directly affect you? If they aren't pushing their beliefs on you, why are you ridiculing their beliefs?

Not trying to sound rude, snarky, or impolite, but I don't understand this mindset.
KC, here it is in a nutshell.
When people can believe demonstably false things, then I fear that they can believe just about anything and are unlikely to make rational decisions about things that can profoundly affect my life, like abortion, stem-cell research, assisted suicide, tax support for religious schools, who I can and can't marry, enacting laws that make apostasy punishable by death, declaring war for religious reasons.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-12-2011, 08:50 PM
(13-12-2011 08:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 08:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm sorry, I just don't get this. Why? Why does what another human believe annoy you? So what it they believe that their god holds the answer to all truth in the universe? How does this directly affect you? If they aren't pushing their beliefs on you, why are you ridiculing their beliefs?

When people can believe demonstably false things, then I fear that they can believe just about anything and are unlikely to make rational decisions about things that can profoundly affect my life, like abortion, stem-cell research, assisted suicide, tax support for religious schools, who I can and can't marry, enacting laws that make apostasy punishable by death, declaring war for religious reasons.

Yeah, I get that.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-12-2011, 09:03 PM
(13-12-2011 08:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 08:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not trying to sound rude, snarky, or impolite, but I don't understand this mindset.

Criminalizing weed ... legislating what I'm permitted to do with the mutual consent of my own livestock ...

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-12-2011, 09:10 PM
(13-12-2011 09:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Criminalizing weed ... legislating what I'm permitted to do with the mutual consent of my own livestock ...

You have to show a signed consent form and proof of age.

13-12-2011, 09:17 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2011 09:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-12-2011 09:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 09:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Criminalizing weed ... legislating what I'm permitted to do with the mutual consent of my own livestock ...

Yeah, I got all their paperwork, vet records, consenting hoof prints and whatnot.

13-12-2011, 10:29 PM
(13-12-2011 09:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Yeah, I got all their paperwork, vet records, consenting hoof prints and whatnot.

Well, you're good to go. Until PETA shows up.

13-12-2011, 10:37 PM
(13-12-2011 10:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 09:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Well, you're good to go. Until PETA shows up.

Got someone on the inside Wink