Degrading the God Concept

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-12-2011, 10:48 PM
RE: Degrading the God Concept
(13-12-2011 08:21 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 08:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Sorry, Woof. Just ignore me.

Come on, KC...do you really think you have to tell Woof that? Big Grin

lol yeah, he does do a pretty good job.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2011, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2011 05:07 AM by houseofcantor.)
(13-12-2011 07:09 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  HoC I wanted to isolate the "fishing concepts from the void bit" but lack the skill to compartmentalise....must work on it.
Largely you do not appear to be in disagreeance with OP.
May need to confer with Erxmai D.D.Idea

The OP mentions "the lack of skill set to disprove celestial beings." I don't have such lack. Obviously there's some translation that still needs to be done. Wink
(13-12-2011 08:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm sorry, I just don't get this. Why? Why does what another human believe annoy you? So what it they believe that their god holds the answer to all truth in the universe? How does this directly affect you? If they aren't pushing their beliefs on you, why are you ridiculing their beliefs?

Not trying to sound rude, snarky, or impolite, but I don't understand this mindset.

This is not addressed to KC but rather to KC's question:

Why? Sola fides is two-thousand year old technology that benefits everyone. I have a two-thousand year old chip on my shoulder. Theism is insidious, degrading, degenerate meme that limits everyone while benefiting no one. Those who "feed from the top (like Newt)" would find another avenue to exploit, those who "live in Christ' with a poor and simple faith only perpetuate a vehicle of exploitation. I got Pascal's anti-wager: live in faith, die in futility; come back as plant life.

(I seen some shit, I'm telling ya; the rest of atheism can harp on "this is the only life you've got." I ain't believing in shit until I'm dead.)

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2011, 09:20 AM
(14-12-2011 04:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I ain't believing in shit until I'm dead.

Johnny, you've gotta make some t-shirts. Brown with white text and a picture Ellenjanuary. You'd make a fortune and pay for your road trip in a couple a months.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
14-12-2011, 11:23 AM
(13-12-2011 08:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 05:10 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  As an atheist I am unable to prove the non existence of higher spiritual beings or a cosmic god of some sort. 'Non belief' is quite different from claiming certainty.

What really annoys me is the multitude of religious people who claim, through their faith, that their god holds the entire meaning and truth relevant to the Universe.
This contention is made even worse by fanatics who kill and endanger life as a result of their insane beliefs.

I'm sorry, I just don't get this. Why? Why does what another human believe annoy you? So what it they believe that their god holds the answer to all truth in the universe? How does this directly affect you? If they aren't pushing their beliefs on you, why are you ridiculing their beliefs?

Not trying to sound rude, snarky, or impolite, but I don't understand this mindset.

In my case, it bothers me because the way my neighbors, my workmates, some family members, etc. act, is defined on their religion views.

Here in many Mexico people think it's okay to be poor; it's ok to suffer; it's ok if politicians lie and steal because in the afterlife God will compensate.

People with such believes (most are catholics) accept all kind of things as inevitable because all bad things are God's will. And who are you to discuss God's will?? Angry

All decisions in their lives (even choosing a candidate, governor, president, etc) are taken based in those stupid beliefs.

That's why those believes directly affect me.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
14-12-2011, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2011 12:13 PM by Jackrabbit.)
(13-12-2011 05:10 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  As an atheist I am unable to prove the non existence of higher spiritual beings or a cosmic god of some sort. 'Non belief' is quite different from claiming certainty.

What really annoys me is the multitude of religious people who claim, through their faith, that their god holds the entire meaning and truth relevant to the Universe.
This contention is made even worse by fanatics who kill and endanger life as a result of their insane beliefs.

Herewith is a very small number of such beliefs.

(1) Islamic fanatics engaging in indiscriminate genocide to serve Allah; one would think a being in his alleged position would be capable of meting out his own revenge on his creations (b)Clitorectomies performed painfully on babies and small girls by old women using rusty razor blades with the sole intention of denying them sexual pleasure as women.
This claim is only directed to the fanatics involved in such practises.

I find this your post interesting as a whole, but as an ex-muslim, i feel qualified to adress this one statement. I will start with Clitorectomy (in my homeland of Egypt) as it as an issue not very understood by the west (at this point im just clarifying the minor details so i can help my fellow atheists better understant and be informed.)

Clitorectomy as a practice is encouraged by the Religion of Islam, dispite of what is recently said.

I'd just first like to clarify how This ignorant practice is justified by saying that without clitorectomy's a woman will grow up to have an insatiable sexual apitite and will most probably become very promiscuous.

However, in the Hadith (the Biography of Mohammed, a collection of sayings and situations that he was in, muslims are taught to use it as a template for a good human being and take it all to be factually and literally true and benificial.), The porphet this to say:

‘Reduce the size of the clitoris but do not exceed the limit, for that is better for her health and is preferred by husbands.’

At first glance to a muslim (from my personal experience), that seemed like a moderate thing to do. Until you realise the horrifying implications...

Here i will digress for a little while, as males most of us have been circumcised, but at a very early age that the shock and trauma of having part of your dong cut off (that has many many nerve cells that make sex more pleasurable) with no anesthetic occurs too early for any of us to be traumatised of in our later years.

For females however it is a different story, at infancy it is too early to say if a clitoris is "too long", unlike in the penis where the foreskin is just there. This leads to female circumcision to be done when a child is 9+ years old, after thet are forced to strip to a stranger (midwife/barber), have their clitoris and vagina examined and mutilated by unsterilized equipment and inexperienced idiots who wouldn't even be able to judge how long the clitoris should be or how much to cut off. The hadith and Quraan were oddly vague about that.
I want to also add that when female circumcision occurs, it is done without any form of anythetic and in this case the little girl is old enough to be traumatized and possibly psychologically scarred for life. (now u see why i mentioned male circumcision before).

Sadly female circumcision is still widely practiced in the arab world, in Egypt too, which some would consider a relatively modern country of the region.
It is practiced in all the smalltowns throughout Egypt that dont have proper clinics/hospital by inqualified people and also in large cities too like Cairo with the exceptions of some better educated people/families who are only muslims in name and richer folk. In the past few years however, the wife of our former president was on awareness campaigns to end female circumcision and to better educate the people on female health and hygene.

Thank you for reading.
(13-12-2011 08:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm sorry, I just don't get this. Why? Why does what another human believe annoy you? So what it they believe that their god holds the answer to all truth in the universe? How does this directly affect you? If they aren't pushing their beliefs on you, why are you ridiculing their beliefs?

People kill in the name of god,
mutliate young children's sex organs in the name of god,
treat women like slaves in the name of god,
punish crimes with exaggarated, cruel and brutal forms of punishmen in the name of god,
want to stone homosexuals in the name of god,
want to teach religion akin to scientific theory in the name of god, they are people who work, control media, and dominate politics and they try
to get away with any piece of legislation or brainwashing to spread their particular "harmless beliefs" and meddle into other people's lives in matters of money, sex and almost everything else. They are wicked people with wicked beliefs whether they know it or not.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
[+] 1 user Likes Jackrabbit's post
14-12-2011, 12:17 PM
(14-12-2011 12:03 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  ... as an ex-muslim, i feel qualified to adress this one statement. I will start with Clitorectomy (in my homeland of Egypt) as it as an issue not very understood by the west (at this point im just clarifying the minor details so i can help my fellow atheists better understant and be informed.)

Clitorectomy as a practice is encouraged by the Religion of Islam, dispite of what is recently said.

I'd just first like to clarify how This ignorant practice is justified by saying that without clitorectomy's a woman will grow up to have an insatiable sexual apitite and will most probably become very promiscuous.

However, in the Hadith (the Biography of Mohammed, a collection of sayings and situations that he was in, muslims are taught to use it as a template for a good human being and take it all to be factually and literally true and benificial.), The porphet this to say:

‘Reduce the size of the clitoris but do not exceed the limit, for that is better for her health and is preferred by husbands.’

At first glance to a muslim (from my personal experience), that seemed like a moderate thing to do. Until you realise the horrifying implications...

Here i will digress for a little while, as males most of us have been circumcised, but at a very early age that the shock and trauma of having part of your dong cut off (that has many many nerve cells that make sex more pleasurable) with no anesthetic occurs too early for any of us to be traumatised of in our later years.

For females however it is a different story, at infancy it is too early to say if a clitoris is "too long", unlike in the penis where the foreskin is just there. This leads to female circumcision to be done when a child is 9+ years old, after thet are forced to strip to a stranger (midwife/barber), have their clitoris and vagina examined and mutilated by unsterilized equipment and inexperienced idiots who wouldn't even be able to judge how long the clitoris should be or how much to cut off. The hadith and Quraan were oddly vague about that.
I want to also add that when female circumcision occurs, it is done without any form of anythetic and in this case the little girl is old enough to be traumatized and possibly psychologically scarred for life. (now u see why i mentioned male circumcision before).

Sadly female circumcision is still widely practiced in the arab world, in Egypt too, which some would consider a relatively modern country of the region.
It is practiced in all the smalltowns throughout Egypt that dont have proper clinics/hospital by inqualified people and also in large cities too like Cairo with the exceptions of some better educated people/families who are only muslims in name and richer folk. In the past few years however, the wife of our former president was on awareness campaigns to end female circumcision and to better educate the people on female health and hygene.

Thank you for reading.

I knew that this was a practice in some regions, but had no idea it was widespread or sanctioned by holy writ.

It is time to stop ALL infant genital mutilation - it is a human rights violation.

Please don't give me some culture-relative justification like "your Eurocentric blah, blah, blah". Bullshit - some things are universal wrongs.

From the The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, approved in general assembly in the U.N.

Article 2.
•Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

Article 3.
•Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

I don't think genital mutilation is in accord with Article 3.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-12-2011, 12:20 PM

I agree completely, it is a human rights violation on par with parents having their newborn/young child's left pinky cut off because [insert holy text here] says its unlucky, unuseful and favoured by god when its not there.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
14-12-2011, 02:55 PM
(14-12-2011 12:20 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  
(14-12-2011 12:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  

I agree completely, it is a human rights violation on par with parents having their newborn/young child's left pinky cut off because [insert holy text here] says its unlucky, unuseful and favoured by god when its not there.

I don't know dude. I know how to play a few musical instruments, so I am pretty attached to my pinkies' integrity, but if anyone gave me a choice between chopping a pinkie or a piece of my penis... I don't know...

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
14-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Just a short question here about the mutilation:
Why would a god create a being with a part that he doesn't like...?
If a god doesn't want women to have pleasure, he can create them without a clitoris.
If a god doesn't like men to have a foreskin, he can create them without it.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
14-12-2011, 03:58 PM
(14-12-2011 02:55 PM)Malleus Wrote:  I don't know dude. I know how to play a few musical instruments, so I am pretty attached to my pinkies' integrity, but if anyone gave me a choice between chopping a pinkie or a piece of my penis... I don't know...

they dont ask infants or preadolescent girls if they want their genitals "trimmed" nor give em a choice Tongue