Deism vs. theism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2014, 07:40 PM
RE: Deism vs. theism
I'm not seeing the need for an answer. It's all pointless labels anyway. People twist around what they think of themselves and their god when you prod deeper and deeper to a point most wouldn't fit the label if you defined a label purely to avoid being defined by that label.

These Ism words are of greek origin and the lack of a one for personal god doesn't mean it's needed. People could etymologically come up with one perhaps. I'm not seeing a reason why they would. You could call them personal relationship theists if you desired.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2014, 07:49 PM
RE: Deism vs. theism
Dictionaries have two definitions for theism, the first is a belief in a god, especially one that is concerned with its creatures, and the second one is the belief in a god. If the definition exists then that's enough for me. A theist can be a person who believes in a personal god and a person who believes in a god. But a deist is only a believer in an indifferent god.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply