Deistic thoughts of an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2013, 04:37 PM
RE: Deistic thoughts of an atheist
Oh, but if you're not a reader, there are still some GREAT videos out there. Just do a youtube search on Michio Kaku, Sam Harris, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Dan Dennett, Richard Dawkins, Chris Hitchens, hell-- even Penn Jillette.

I like to read the major stuff. 'The God Delusion' helped me turn my whole world aright. I should do more, but the matter, in my mind, is settled and I don't claim any authority. Big Grin

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Although that period of crazy afterlife theories was not that long ago, hopefully the fleeting yearning for a belief in an afterlife will subside completely.

Death isn't what bothers me, its the process that has me a little concerned, and if i'm honest, sometimes it has me VERY concerned. I know there isn't an afterlife just as well as I know anything else. Its ok though, we've all been dead before so it won't be our first rodeo.
09-01-2013, 06:59 PM
(09-01-2013 04:13 PM)SingingBear Wrote:  I like Neil DeGrasse Tyson's take on the issue of a designer.

The last line. Holy crap that's funny (no pun intended). Great video, but the last line deserves its own shirt.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
09-01-2013, 07:13 PM
I think skepticism is the reason not to be deistic (that and Occam's Razor), but I honestly don't care to convince a deist that atheism is superior. Deists don't fight us on public policy. I'd just prefer that those people working on the answers to the relevant questions (physicists and astronomers, for example) remain atheist rather than deist -- that's the only area I can think of where deism can be a stumbling block.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2013, 09:25 PM
I leave the convincing to the real thinkers. After all, my own experience is unqualified. All I have is my own subjective reasoning plus geniuses to parrot from (and poorly) what makes best sense to me. Big Grin

The discussion is good, though. And it's like Hitchen's said (and here I am again, parroting poorly)-- we all deserve a right to be heard and even ask stupid questions. I think it's the ongoing conversation that's important.

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris
[+] 1 user Likes SingingBear's post
09-01-2013, 09:40 PM
(09-01-2013 09:25 PM)SingingBear Wrote:  The discussion is good, though.

Yes, it is. It's nice to hear an open-minded opinion. I'm looking forward to reading your posts in the future.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Its easy to imagine every single snowflake designed to be different, but when you impose a personality on to a natural event, you know what that is right ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
09-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Personification? Anthropomorphism? Buddhism?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
09-01-2013, 11:56 PM
(09-01-2013 03:56 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(09-01-2013 03:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Have you read Stenger's GOD: The Failed Hypothesis?

No, but I've wanted to read it for some time now.

I'm not much of a book reader. I'm more of a chatter/forum poster/reader guy thingy.
Me reading a book consists of large year-long intervals of just in and out reading and laziness.

Idea, have you tried audio books? They are great!

I have a bunch of audio books loaded onto my personal player and listen to them anytime I want - driving, doing house work, or just relaxing. It's cool hearing someone read a book over the stereo speakers in my house, too.

I just googled free audiobook downloads and there's a bunch - I've personally found a bunch of interesting stuff at http://www.openculture.com/freeaudiobooks and http://www.booksshouldbefree.com

I have an audible account but you might stick with free stuff until you find out if it's for you or not. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Wonderful.

Thank you, kim, for the links!