Deistic thoughts of an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2013, 06:34 AM
RE: Deistic thoughts of an atheist
(24-01-2013 06:17 AM)DeathsNotoriousAngel Wrote:  
(22-01-2013 10:23 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I considered asking him the same question when I was using Tapatalk during my history classes today. Then I decided to wait until I was home. Then you beat me to it. Dodgy
The same reason you don't interfere with an ant farm. Oh sure, you could interfere, but you'll just end up messing something up.
It's good fun to mess with ant farms, I'll have you know.

Or more accurately, bullant nest. watching them scramble about as they attempt to get you after flooding their hole is good fun.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2013, 07:53 AM
(24-01-2013 06:17 AM)DeathsNotoriousAngel Wrote:  
(22-01-2013 07:31 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  How would god be a slave? Why can't he/she/it simply choose not to interfere as much as he can?

(22-01-2013 10:23 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I considered asking him the same question when I was using Tapatalk during my history classes today. Then I decided to wait until I was home. Then you beat me to it. Dodgy
The same reason you don't interfere with an ant farm. Oh sure, you could interfere, but you'll just end up messing something up.

First of all, the god wouldn't be a slave. He could choose not to stomp on that antfarm, but he is not forced to leave it be. He is the master of his own will. What's to say he will mess something up? Why can't he interfere and do something right? The problem is not that we can't. It's that he wont. A deistic god COULD be a theistic god out of will and power. Such a God is either apathetic to us, or extremely powerless.

Now, the question I have to ask again:

What makes him a slave.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
24-01-2013, 07:59 PM
(23-01-2013 11:01 PM)SingingBear Wrote:  But in a state of good health and youth, is the thought worth pondering on any other level than as a symbol of the frailty and uncertainty of life?
Of course it is a great idea. Some may find it disturbing but I find it amazing. Thrilling. Being uncertain about everything makes me want to go out and find the truth. There are mysteries, but there are also answers, and the way to discover them is through reason and logic.

Only 3 things are absolutely certain, they derive from the claim: "I think, therefore I am".

-Reality exists.

- I exist.

- I am conscious.

Antitheist - Tooth Fairy Agnostic - Rationalist - Humanist - Individualist - Libertarian Minarchist

[Image: dsotm1.png]
25-01-2013, 01:29 AM
You're absolutely right. And that is part of what I was trying to say. But I think my analogy was bad, poorly worded, and redundant. A2 already expressed it:

Quote: It doesn't make any difference if a Deistic god exists, because the
universe would essentially be the same, or at least look the same, as
universe (or, in a greater scope, reality) without ANY deity.

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris