Deity Tester 1.0-God fails the test

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 10:18 PM
RE: Deity Tester 1.0-God fails the test
(08-12-2014 09:42 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  The Deity Tester is clever but has a problem: would you believe it if it worked as expected?

You find it with the marble at the bottom and your first thought very likely WOULDN'T be, "God exists!" Your first thought would be what upset the marble and screwed up the test. So you thread back the video monitor and sure enough, right there at 3:28:34.009 the marble unseats and rolls down to the bottom, with no apparent help from a finger or other agent. Convinced?

Of course not. You'd commence a research campaign to determine what would have happened at that moment that would unseat the marble. And since it is so easily unseated, someone blowing on it, a blast of air through an open door, a subtle tipping of the table itself so slight it doesn't show on the monitor, you'd never be satisfied you'd exhausted every possible means of ruining the test.

So let's say you found your tester in THIS state, the marble suspended on the side of the central riser instead of at the bottom, defying gravity right before your eyes:

[Image: 2vhta9w.jpg]

Would THAT convince you god exists?

Again, I doubt it. Confronted with an apparent miracle, something that really does appear supernatural, I'd guess you'd take serious steps to document the phenomenon, and get to the truth of what's causing it.

There's nothing like a right in your face miracle that steels the resolve to find the natural explanation for it - because there HAS to be a natural explanation - the evidence is right there that it can happen. All that's left is figuring out the how - and all the roads to how lead AWAY from "goddidit", not the other way.

True, of course that applies to the entire universe. Though I think any believer knows that their god will never move it, at some level they understand that their god isn't going to do anything but behave like it doesn't exist.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply