Demi-Christians or whatever you call them...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2013, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 11:23 AM by kim.)
RE: Demi-Christians or whatever you call them...
Well, you know... the real test is ... to ...

DIE!!
DIE CHRISTEE, DIE!!! Angel

Faith defends itself from the nothing it is afraid it is.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-10-2013, 11:26 AM
(11-10-2013 09:33 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  ...
I chalk it up to the "evolution" of christianity. It has come a long way, it's had to. That's why I'm encouraged that in time, it just might fall into the minority way of thinking.

It already is.

Just not where you are.

[Image: screen-shot-2012-12-20-at-5-08-02-pm.png?w=297]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-10-2013, 11:38 AM
(12-10-2013 11:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  [Image: screen-shot-2012-12-20-at-5-08-02-pm.png?w=297]

So, is "unaffiliated" pie-chart speak for atheist? I'm good with being unaffiliated. Thumbsup

Child to parents: Mom, Dad... I'm... I'm unaffiliated. Unsure

Parents to child: Well... I guess you have to find your own way. We still love you. Shy

Parents to each other in private: Well, at least he/she's not atheist. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
12-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Demi-Christians or whatever you call them...
(12-10-2013 10:25 AM)Skippy538 Wrote:  I think the NT is pretty clear about those things that are "fundamental" to what constitutes the "core" doctrines of the faith. Fundies abandon all intellect in going all the way, liberals abandon sound reasoning by "half" believing what they want and ignoring the stuff they don't like. But in reality Fundies don't go all all the way. No one can.

Go get some snakes - let's test our faith, um, nah. It's all good. Well why not? Because people get hurt doing that.....

The NT isn't clear about anything at all. And historically there is no "core" set of beliefs within Christianity, Christians have disagreed about everything there is to disagree about, including if Jesus even existed at all.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
12-10-2013, 01:31 PM
(12-10-2013 12:13 PM)Crimson Flyboy Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 10:25 AM)Skippy538 Wrote:  I think the NT is pretty clear about those things that are "fundamental" to what constitutes the "core" doctrines of the faith. SNIP

The NT isn't clear about anything at all. And historically there is no "core" set of beliefs within Christianity, Christians have disagreed about everything there is to disagree about, including if Jesus even existed at all.

I respectfully disagree, but happy to discuss further. Maybe I should clarify - I think the bible makes some truth claims, and I think to deal with those truth claims a chrisitian must either choose a path of ignorance or to abandon their intellect.

When Liberals claim the bible doesn't endorse slavery, for example, they are favoring the acceptable view over the reality. When fundies admit slavery is endorsed, but then claim that we have to view it in "context," or that it was not "bad" slavery but good slavery, they abandon their intellect. In my view slavery is wrong period, (wait for PJ to jump in here) and the only way you can justify what the bible says is to ignore it, or to ignore you intellect.

The point being, I think a Fundie read of the NT is more in line with its intent, and Paul's expressed purpose in writing most of it, than the Liberal's "modified" read.

Cheers

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
[+] 1 user Likes Skippy538's post
12-10-2013, 02:08 PM
(12-10-2013 01:31 PM)Skippy538 Wrote:  The point being, I think a Fundie read of the NT is more in line with its intent, and Paul's expressed purpose in writing most of it, than the Liberal's "modified" read.

So, do you think the direction which the original text was taking, could have been much more "liberal" for example, and Paul was attempting to qualify it to a more specific intent?

12-10-2013, 02:39 PM
You write this like you believe people actually think about this stuff. For the most part, they don't. They herd together as sheep in the local pack called Christian.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-10-2013, 03:01 PM
The way I see it is that you are equating the bible as being only a historical work. There are many aspects to the bible that are figurative or allegorical. The entire book of Job is considered to be a giant parable of sorts. Also Jesus regularly used stories to show who God was.
The I dea of allegory in the Bible is not a new one, at least not for the Catholic Church, St Augustine of Hippo, who lived in the 4th century and is one of the 8 founding Doctors of the Church, didn't believe that the creation of earth happened in 7 days. Although to be fair he thought it happened all at once.
It is important to remember that the Bible is a collection of Theological, Literary, philosophical, and Historical works. Not just a dry history.

As Farley Mowatt said "Facts should not get in the way of the truth". Big Grin

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
12-10-2013, 03:26 PM
(12-10-2013 03:01 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  As Farley Mowatt said "Facts should not get in the way of the truth". Big Grin

Fucking stupid thing to say Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Somebody drank the kool-aid. Lemme help you with that...

(12-10-2013 03:01 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  It is important to remember that the Bible is a collection of Theological, Literary, philosophical, and Historical works. Not just a dry history.

There you go. All better. Thumbsup

(12-10-2013 03:26 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 03:01 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  As Farley Mowatt said "Facts should not get in the way of the truth". Big Grin

Fucking stupid thing to say Drinking Beverage

Not entirely. The fact that I've never met Gwyneth does not get in the way of the truth that I love that girl. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post