Democracy.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Democracy.
Just a quick one really.......was gonna make a poll but then I decided to ask two questions instead of one.

The first question I would like to ask is do you think that your countrys goverment has the common peoples interest at heart??? Id like you to elaborate on your answer as best you can please Big Grin

The second question is do you actually feel that you have any power or say democractically wise on how your country is run and how global politics go down??? Again id be appreciative if people can elaborate on there view as best they can please.

Nice one Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2012, 09:34 AM
RE: Democracy.
A huge deluge of people answering Big Grin

Never mind.......just consider my questions.........if you think "no" to any of the above questions then how does that make you feel???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
05-02-2012, 10:01 AM
(05-02-2012 09:34 AM)bemore Wrote:  if you think "no" to any of the above questions then how does that make you feel???

No and no.

Makes me feel pretty hopeless.

But you already know that. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
05-02-2012, 11:31 AM
I think yes to both. While the government doesn't do everything that I'd like it to do, they make an effort to meet the basic needs but get bogged down by the radicals so the progress can seem to crawl. Around the time of the 2008 election in America, I made the transition from authoritative conservative to moderate liberal, mostly spurred by my new found atheism. When I was finally able to see America without my conservative view that "our best days are behind us" I saw that the democrats were simply trying to help the less fortunate, not destroy "Real America".

The march of progress happens on a generation timescale. That's because it requires the passing of previous generations, fighting the conservative movement (from a liberal point-of-view), and organizing several different groups of people, each of whom are looking out for their own. So of course it'll be slow, but I'd say that democracy has made great improvements in the lives of its citizens.

I don't think I have much say in global politics, but I do have avenues that I can get involved with my government. By getting involved with clubs or organizations and trying to educate people on the issues, I can help to sway a vote one way or another. Just look at the organizations that follow creationists around making sure that they don't sneak their pseudo-science into American schools, that's taking part in government.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 12:31 PM
To the first question I have to say no.
The public jump up and down, protest and force referendums and we get ignored.
Those in power could care less, but it would be an effort…

To the second question, still no.
We have the National Government (slightly right of centre) and the Labour Government (slightly left of centre) the Nats look after the top dogs, big business etc with the unproven theory that the wealth will filter down.
It doesn’t.
Labour look after the lower income earners with the thought that if they start with them the rest will improve as they move up the ladder.
Nope…

I’m in the average earning bracket… I get to pay for ether ones whims and get little if any support from out fearless leaders.

Little criminals go to jail, big ones get into politics.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Karl's post
05-02-2012, 01:55 PM
No and Yes.

The current government does absolutely nothing to please its voters, and since I believe we do have the power to change it I think we will vote for a new and better government next elections (which rumors say is going to be in the next fall), government which will please its voters.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 02:30 PM
No and sort of.

Democracy always get hijacked by vested interests with more wealth than scruples (which is how they got the more wealth) and it's difficult, if not impossible, to drag it back out from the mouths of the eaters-up-of-everything.
Usually, some crisis and upheaval change government style.

The 'sort of' means we can be part of the crisis which knocks over the current system. but then we also have to be part of the painful upheaval that inevitably follows.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
05-02-2012, 10:25 PM
(04-02-2012 09:26 PM)bemore Wrote:  The first question I would like to ask is do you think that your countrys goverment has the common peoples interest at heart???

Bemore, this is such a broad question it's hard to answer. Do you mean the national government (vs. in US a state government or local governments?). If national government, we have judicial, legislative and executive branches, all large and all different in their level of focus on the common people. What are you trying to get at?

The second question is do you actually feel that you have any power or say democractically wise on how your country is run and how global politics go down??? [/quote]

When I've gotten involved in a campaign or issue I've felt that I've had an impact on how things are done. As for global politics, that's beyond the level I've ever touched but I don't think the general citizenry can have a practical impact at that level. For one thing, too little information about actual positions and issues can be released without compromising the players involved. It has to be handled by diplomatic professionals.
06-02-2012, 02:48 AM
I appreciate eveybody sharing there personal views on this subject.

Many people may see democracy in many different ways.....to wrap it up in a nutshell I would define democracy as a form where the majority have say in how matters are undertaken....this can be undertaken in many different ways but I guess that the nearest many of us get to it would be by voting for political parties every few years.

I obviously understand that many people wish to live there lifes in many different ways and that many people have many different issues that they would like to have addressed. Now I suppose on a local level this may be achievable to some degree.....but as you go bigger up the scale of things I think that democracy seems to "wain"

For instance I live in the UK.......My country is part of the European Union and now 5/6 laws in my country are passed by these officials who the people of my country never even voted for........I fail to see the democracy in that......and it amazes and shocks me that my fellow countrypeople dont even know this nor do they know the names of the people who are making all of these decisions.

When the people of the UK called for a referendum to leave the failing European Union David Cameron refused it.......whatever the outcome I feel that ultimatley the people who make up my country should be able to decide this and many other things.....just one of many examples I can give where democracy has not been served.....where the people have not been listened to.

As for the huge worldwide decisions......why should the people not have a deciding say on what goes on in them.....seeing as they affect every single one of us and they affect the future generations even more????

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
06-02-2012, 06:56 AM
(06-02-2012 02:48 AM)bemore Wrote:  When the people of the UK called for a referendum to leave the failing European Union David Cameron refused it.......

What's your understanding of why he refused it?