Democracy & America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2010, 01:30 AM

Democracy & America
Hi All,

I think that America is very democratic is some ways. After all, it has a wonderful constitution, especially the first Amendment guaranteeing freedom of speech. But where America falls down is that huge sums of money is needed for anyone to become President or even senator or congressman. The last Presidential election cost one billion dollars, and of course, American elections go on for two years. What that means is that your local mailman, garbage collector, fireman, or other working class person, is just not going to be able to afford to run for president or any other political office in America.

This is NOT an America bashing thread, but I think it would be good for people to discuss just how democratic or undemocratic the systems of their countries are.

I think that America is more democratic than Australia in that it is a republic and does not have a constitutional monarchy as head of state, but Australia is more democratic that America in that ordinary people have a greater chance of entering politics in Australia because elections here are publicly funded.

What do you think?
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2010, 09:49 AM
RE: Democracy & America
I think democracy isn't massured by how much democratic values it has. democracy is massured by its' ability to fix undemocratial acts inside the country. so the question "how much your country is democratic compering to others" is irelevent.

and another thing that anoyes me endless- why it is that America consider as the most democratic democracy in the world? forgive me the americans around here, but I really don't understand that. look up Sweden, Norway and Denmark-the quality of life there is the highest in the world, almost no coruption in the governments and has wonderful welfare policy. why arn't they consider as the most democratic democracy in the world?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2010, 06:34 PM
RE: Democracy & America
Bot's other post was better.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply