Democrat convention

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2016, 08:24 AM
RE: Democrat convention
(30-07-2016 06:58 AM)Vosur Wrote:  My point was that the "victory" that Bernie achieved by changing the Democratic platform is a hollow one because nothing obligates Hillary to implement his changes as president.

As a president (if elected) starting out deeply unpopular, she'll definitely be trying not to piss off the masses, so I'd expect her to voluntarily follow it mostly.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2016, 09:37 AM
(30-07-2016 08:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  As a president (if elected) starting out deeply unpopular, she'll definitely be trying not to piss off the masses, so I'd expect her to voluntarily follow it mostly.

We can hope. At least for the first year until Americans go "squirrel!" and forget to pay attention to what's going on for the next three years. Then she can pay lip service to the masses for an election and gain four more.

At least we'll always have guns to argue about in the meantime. Dodgy

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
30-07-2016, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2016 10:20 AM by DLJ.)
(30-07-2016 08:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(30-07-2016 06:58 AM)Vosur Wrote:  My point was that the "victory" that Bernie achieved by changing the Democratic platform is a hollow one because nothing obligates Hillary to implement his changes as president.

As a president (if elected) starting out deeply unpopular, she'll definitely be trying not to piss off the masses, so I'd expect her to voluntarily follow it mostly.

Nope. I disagree.

Like ripping off a plaster, they'll get things out of the way early.

Listening to the carefully chosen words from various speeches, they'll aim to get TTP through this year.

Here's the pick from Bernie's endorsement speech (repeated at the conference):
Quote:She understands that we must raise the minimum wage to a living wage!

Note, "living wage" not "$15.00" which means that the states will choose different minimums (which actually makes sense as the states' economies are not all equal).

Quote:Hillary Clinton will nominate justices to the Supreme Court who are prepared to overturn Citizens United!

Note, "prepared to" ... wriggle-room there and contrast it to the far stronger "will" in this:

Quote:Her Supreme Court appointments will also defend a woman's right to choose...

And compare again to the strongest of all words that could be used: "guarantee"...

Quote:we have come together on a proposal that will revolutionize higher education in America.

It will guarantee -- guarantee -- that the children of any family in this country with an annual income of $125,000 a year or less, 83 percent of our population, will be able to go to a public college or university tuition free.

That proposal also substantially reduces student debt.

[On a side note, "tuition free" should be "free tuition" ... it always comes across like "sugar-free" when I hear it]

So this will be the main popularist tactic to shore up the under 30s for the next few elections at all levels.

This next one is the tricky one for Clinton given the commitment she's made to Wall Street (embodied by selecting the VP that made them happiest):

Quote:Democratic Party now calls for breaking up the major financial institutions on Wall Street...
...and the passage of a 21st century Glass-Steagall Act.

How long will it take for that Act to get drafted. reviewed, re-written, modified, watered down and eventually passed? How long will be the grace period for implementation? I suspect that it will be allowed to drag.

And finally, a covert warning and subtle encouragement to his own team:

Quote:It also calls for strong opposition to job-killing trade agreements like the TPP.

We have got to make sure that TPP does not get to the floor of the Congress in the lame-duck session!

What he means by "we" is not Clinton/Kaine, he means the Bernie supporters.

That was a 'call to action' to his team to become the new Loyal Opposition and gambling on the disintegration of the Republican party.... which given their embarrassment of a Convention, would not surprise me.

Big Grin

If, however, the Republicans rally and win the election, "the revolution" is almost guaranteed and this might actually work better for Bernie.

Whichever party introduces Universal Health is going to get phenomenal ratings for decades... look at post-war Labour Party in the UK - threaten the NHS and you'll lose an election! So I think that there will be a big push for this and it may happen at the state level, state by state.

This will bring the USA into the 20th century (second half). I think that Clinton has keener foresight on this than the Republicans.

But the big take-away this time has been what Douglas Adams predicted about Communication of Ideas:
1. It used to be one-to-one (aristocrats making deals amongst themselves).
2. Then it became one-to-many (big speeches in large halls, later on radio and then televised)
3. Later there was an era of many-to-one as politicians began to get faster and more accurate opinion poll data.
4. Now, and only very recently, we have many-to-many. We see e.g. the Arab Spring and rapidly organised demonstrations and the Bernie movement using social tools in powerful new ways.

Whoever masters this first, sets the pace for 21st century politics.

And Bernie has seen this future.

When the TPP goes through (maybe with a different name) there will emerge a new counter-balance to the global dominance of the merchant class.

What will be the opposing force to the multinationals? Not the Unions (although they will begin to use social media to play a role).

It will have to be the consumers... Consumer Unions.

For example, I have never given one single dime/penny to Murdoch. I refuse to consume.

Consumer Unions using social apps to organise boycotts of tyrannical corporations will have the collective power to hit them on the bottom line.

Here's one for Muffsy, a new slogan (start buying the URLs):

"Consumer Unions for a New Tomorrow

Let's all be CUNTs together"

There is one big piece of this future jigsaw that I'm not seeing yet and maybe there are political strategists here on TTA who can help me out...

When the power of Nations / States decline and become more like investors and less like regulators ... what will become the new Leviathan?

Huh

My guess:

Google?

Sadcryface

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
30-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Ah well Drinking Beverage I've got a fiddle, so all I need to do now is wait for the world to burn.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.