Democrats filibustering for gun control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Democrats filibustering for gun control
It's live on NPR now. The Dems grew a pair and finally stood up to the NRA.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...un-control

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
15-06-2016, 02:49 PM
RE: Democrats filibustering for gun control
(15-06-2016 02:40 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  It's live on NPR now. The Dems grew a pair and finally stood up to the NRA.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...un-control

Watching it now. Thumbsup

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Quote:Pennsylvania Sen. Pat Toomey was the first Republican to ask Murphy to speak on the issue.

"I'm of the view that it's time to get something done here," he said, adding that he still has concerns with current proposals about how they address citizens who end up on the watch list erroneously, stressing there should be some "mechanism to challenge status of being on that list."

Toomey, who is in a tight re-election race, is in talks with a gun control group, Everytown for Gun Safety, on a potential compromise bill addressing those on the terror watch list.

It's rare that I agree with a republican on anything, but I'm with Toomey on this one. If they are going to have some kind of list to keep potential terrorists from buying guns (and we NEED this) there needs to be provisions in place to get off the list if you don't belong there.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
15-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Yeah -- Democrats are good at talking endlessly.....

Much else??

About as much as the ( R ) crowd.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-06-2016, 03:16 PM
I cried when they told the story about the autistic boy who died in the arms of his classroom helper in sandy hook.

I'm still crying at the mental image that conjured up.

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-06-2016, 03:40 PM
(15-06-2016 03:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I cried when they told the story about the autistic boy who died in the arms of his classroom helper in sandy hook.

I'm still crying at the mental image that conjured up.

Yeah I agree. I on a lot of guns and enjoy shooting but I will say that the gun culture in this country has just become fucking insane and we are so myopic as to not see that is facilitates these kinds of atrocities.

I think the answer lies in the hands of the American public, not in legislation. But something has to change. We cannot continue to have these kinds of massacres or 18,000 people easily committing suicide with firearms annually and shamelessly try to justify this with the Second Amendment

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 4 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
15-06-2016, 03:45 PM
(15-06-2016 02:52 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
Quote:Pennsylvania Sen. Pat Toomey was the first Republican to ask Murphy to speak on the issue.

"I'm of the view that it's time to get something done here," he said, adding that he still has concerns with current proposals about how they address citizens who end up on the watch list erroneously, stressing there should be some "mechanism to challenge status of being on that list."

Toomey, who is in a tight re-election race, is in talks with a gun control group, Everytown for Gun Safety, on a potential compromise bill addressing those on the terror watch list.

It's rare that I agree with a republican on anything, but I'm with Toomey on this one. If they are going to have some kind of list to keep potential terrorists from buying guns (and we NEED this) there needs to be provisions in place to get off the list if you don't belong there.

What are the provisions to get people (not placed wrongly -- like the two year old some years ago) off the no fly lists?

15-06-2016, 05:06 PM
DHS has some redress program called TRIP. I've heard nothing but horror stories about it including several IG reports that basically said the program was useless.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
15-06-2016, 05:10 PM
(15-06-2016 03:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah -- Democrats are good at talking endlessly.....

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-06-2016, 05:15 PM
(15-06-2016 03:40 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Yeah I agree. I on a lot of guns and enjoy shooting but I will say that the gun culture in this country has just become fucking insane and we are so myopic as to not see that is facilitates these kinds of atrocities.

I think the answer lies in the hands of the American public, not in legislation. But something has to change. We cannot continue to have these kinds of massacres or 18,000 people easily committing suicide with firearms annually and shamelessly try to justify this with the Second Amendment

I have no problem with gun ownership being ensconced as a Constitutional right, but I think that many Americans (not you, if I read you correctly) are under the misapprehension that rights are unlimited permissions.

They are not, and they never have been. Every right listed in the First Amendment has legal limitations in place in order to bar its abuse, and I think it's only sensible that when dealing with the ownership of an instrument of death, restrictions should be in place as well. There are many right now, of course, but as we're seeing in this and other cases, the law cannot account for every exigency.

Because of that, even though I don't like the idea of removing an American's rights based merely on an unproven suspicion, I'm glad the Democrats are forcing the issue.

In doing so, they are forcing a long-overdue Congressional discussion.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post