Democrats to offer a "Better Deal"

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-07-2017, 09:18 AM
RE: Democrats to offer a "Better Deal"
The current power structure makes me unhappy. I want radical change. If I were smarter I'd make better arguments. All I know is fuck this shit. I hate it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2017, 12:43 PM
(27-07-2017 09:18 AM)ImFred Wrote:  The current power structure makes me unhappy. I want radical change. If I were smarter I'd make better arguments. All I know is fuck this shit. I hate it.

Just for you:

27-07-2017, 01:18 PM
That's really cruel. And they weren't even working for the weekend.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
27-07-2017, 02:19 PM
(27-07-2017 01:18 PM)ImFred Wrote:  That's really cruel. And they weren't even working for the weekend.

You're right, throwing Loverboy onto anyone is pretty low. Guilty as charged.

If I know the club scene, they were working on the weekend, though.
28-07-2017, 08:52 AM
(25-07-2017 11:58 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 11:00 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Historically it would seem that the incumbent party invariably does worse at the mid-terms...

Historically maybe, but things have changed.

There's been no evidence of that during the past 80 years. Republicans Eisenhower and Ford each lost 48 House seats in the mid-terms.

Seats in Congress Gained/Lost by the President's Party in Mid-Term Elections

How can you make the claim that things (what "things") have changed? You need to cite evidence supporting this claim, otherwise it can easily be dismissed as just a hopeful guess for the 2018 mid-terms.

Quote:The country has become more partisan than ever.
Not so. In fact with only a 55.7% eligible voter turnout in 2016, the US falls way behind behind most of its peers in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), most of whose members are highly developed, democratic states. Looking at the most recent nationwide election, the US was placed 28th out of the 35 OECD member nations. In the last Australian federal election, the eligible voter turnout was 91% for example.

Quote:The RNC is pulling in almost $15 million a month and the DNC is struggling to make $5 million a month. The democrats currently only have $7 million cash on hand while the RNC has over $40 million.
You're putting far too much significance on the "wealth" of the parties. With a much smaller dollar budget, Clinton actually got 3 million more primary votes than Trump. Ultimately, money means relatively little in terms of political winners and losers.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
28-07-2017, 09:22 AM
(27-07-2017 09:18 AM)ImFred Wrote:  The current power structure makes me unhappy. I want radical change. If I were smarter I'd make better arguments. All I know is fuck this shit. I hate it.

You know, I get you.

One day I was standing on the top floor of a San Francisco skyscraper, looking down, around 5 pm.

And suddenly the streets crawled with moving black dots, like ants. They were flowing through the streets...a river of black dots disappearing in an underground tunnel.

All those individual people, moving like a herd of animals, had their life laid out for them. Much of the day they would do things they didn't like to do. Then they would head towards a cubicle, big or small, they called home. They would eat, watch TV and sleep. The next day it's the same thing all over again.

If and when they reach 65, they stay home. And many are so addicted and indoctrinated that they miss work. They need the routine to fill their days.

It's kind of sad. And it explains a lot.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-07-2017, 09:52 AM
(28-07-2017 09:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  If and when they reach 65, they stay home. And many are so addicted and indoctrinated that they miss work. They need the routine to fill their days.

I'm retired now. I don't miss work per se, but I do miss being useful.

I have a routine to make sure I get certain things done each day.

Yes it's kind of sad, but all of life is sad and tragic if you look at it that way.

Instead, you could look at the amazing teamwork of the people who only looked like ants to you. We don't all have to be rugged individualists. I'm personally quite sure I couldn't have done any better following my own dreams. You know the old saying: "Every man has a plan that won't work."
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
28-07-2017, 09:58 AM
(28-07-2017 09:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  You know, I get you.

One day I was standing on the top floor of a San Francisco skyscraper, looking down, around 5 pm.

And suddenly the streets crawled with moving black dots, like ants. They were flowing through the streets...a river of black dots disappearing in an underground tunnel.

All those individual people, moving like a herd of animals, had their life laid out for them. Much of the day they would do things they didn't like to do. Then they would head towards a cubicle, big or small, they called home. They would eat, watch TV and sleep. The next day it's the same thing all over again.

If and when they reach 65, they stay home. And many are so addicted and indoctrinated that they miss work. They need the routine to fill their days.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-07-2017, 10:23 AM
(28-07-2017 09:52 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(28-07-2017 09:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  If and when they reach 65, they stay home. And many are so addicted and indoctrinated that they miss work. They need the routine to fill their days.

I'm retired now. I don't miss work per se, but I do miss being useful.

I have a routine to make sure I get certain things done each day.

Yes it's kind of sad, but all of life is sad and tragic if you look at it that way.

Instead, you could look at the amazing teamwork of the people who only looked like ants to you. We don't all have to be rugged individualists. I'm personally quite sure I couldn't have done any better following my own dreams. You know the old saying: "Every man has a plan that won't work."

Yeah, I don't miss work either, but I never had a job, I was an entrepreneur. So it wasn't 9am to 5pm for me. It was more like 6am to 8pm Tongue But it was exciting and adventurous, and, if one can take the failures, satisfying. It was still work, hard and long work. Now I just do other things, I won't even accept consulting jobs.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-07-2017, 10:23 AM
(28-07-2017 08:52 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 11:58 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Historically maybe, but things have changed.

There's been no evidence of that during the past 80 years. Republicans Eisenhower and Ford each lost 48 House seats in the mid-terms.

Seats in Congress Gained/Lost by the President's Party in Mid-Term Elections

How can you make the claim that things (what "things") have changed? You need to cite evidence supporting this claim, otherwise it can easily be dismissed as just a hopeful guess for the 2018 mid-terms.

Quote:The country has become more partisan than ever.
Not so. In fact with only a 55.7% eligible voter turnout in 2016, the US falls way behind behind most of its peers in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), most of whose members are highly developed, democratic states. Looking at the most recent nationwide election, the US was placed 28th out of the 35 OECD member nations. In the last Australian federal election, the eligible voter turnout was 91% for example.

Quote:The RNC is pulling in almost $15 million a month and the DNC is struggling to make $5 million a month. The democrats currently only have $7 million cash on hand while the RNC has over $40 million.
You're putting far too much significance on the "wealth" of the parties. With a much smaller dollar budget, Clinton actually got 3 million more primary votes than Trump. Ultimately, money means relatively little in terms of political winners and losers.

Clinton had a smaller budget then Trump?

No, Clinton raised nearly twice as much as Trump. https://www.opensecrets.org/pres16

And in American congressional races, the candidate that spends the most money usually wins.
https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2012/01...ways-wins/

Donations are a good way to determine the popularity of a party or candidate and predict the outcome of an election.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]