Democrats to offer a "Better Deal"

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-07-2017, 10:37 AM
RE: Democrats to offer a "Better Deal"
(25-07-2017 11:58 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  .... while the RNC has over $40 million.

Most of that is going to go to Trump/Pence legal fees.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2017, 10:41 AM
RE: Democrats to offer a "Better Deal"
(28-07-2017 08:52 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 11:58 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Historically maybe, but things have changed.

There's been no evidence of that during the past 80 years. Republicans Eisenhower and Ford each lost 48 House seats in the mid-terms.

Seats in Congress Gained/Lost by the President's Party in Mid-Term Elections

How can you make the claim that things (what "things") have changed? You need to cite evidence supporting this claim, otherwise it can easily be dismissed as just a hopeful guess for the 2018 mid-terms.

Quote:The country has become more partisan than ever.
Not so. In fact with only a 55.7% eligible voter turnout in 2016, the US falls way behind behind most of its peers in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), most of whose members are highly developed, democratic states. Looking at the most recent nationwide election, the US was placed 28th out of the 35 OECD member nations. In the last Australian federal election, the eligible voter turnout was 91% for example.

That's not what he meant, though. It has nothing to do with voter turnout. What he meant was that people are no longer willing to compromise or see the other side of an issue. "Polarized" might have been a better word than "partisan", but the basic concept is the same: my party (Democrat or Republican) is right about everything, and the other party is evil. There's no room for compromise. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant, and I think he's largely correct -- this is how Americans think these days.

Quote:
Quote:The RNC is pulling in almost $15 million a month and the DNC is struggling to make $5 million a month. The democrats currently only have $7 million cash on hand while the RNC has over $40 million.
You're putting far too much significance on the "wealth" of the parties. With a much smaller dollar budget, Clinton actually got 3 million more primary votes than Trump. Ultimately, money means relatively little in terms of political winners and losers.

I agree with you that LDH is making far too much of this donation business. I think it may actually indicate the opposite of what he's thinking. Shortly after the election, there was a big spike in donations to liberal organizations like Planned Parenthood and the ACLU. This didn't mean that liberals were "winning" -- it meant that they knew they were in trouble, and were basically throwing money at the problem. I think the Republicans may be going through the same thing now. It's not a sign of health, it's a sign of desperation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post