Demographics of Atheism and Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Demographics of Atheism and Religion
I find it a somewhat fascinating subject I would like to look into more someday, The demographics of the displacement of religion and atheism.

From this map, I find it quite funny that the majority of Atheists in America are from the states that are not only the furthest away from the bible belt possible, but furthest the hell away from everybody else as well!

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...e-country/

[Image: map.jpg]

How does the demographics of where you live and other atheists you know life in relation to where the religious are? Do you find yourself smothered in like minded people, is there a big stretch of a mass of religious and it gets less and less religious until it arrives where you live in whatever city your from? Or, are you smack dab in the middle of fundi land?

Also, which religions are most prevalent in your area and how much influence over the area does it have? Example would be bill boards, constant large gatherings etc.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
02-02-2015, 09:42 PM
RE: Demographics of Atheism and Religion
Luckily I live in a sparsely populated area (we’re overrun by tourists but that’s another story) so not much in the way of fanaticism. Most people around here worship fishing and drinking.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
02-02-2015, 10:04 PM
I live east of Dallas Tx. Smack dab in the middle of Baptist fundi land. There is no one I know of that shares my lack of belief. There is a poverty stricken town of about 2000 people 10 miles from my house. Very poor neighborhoods and rampant drug and alcohol abuse. But there sure are a lot of nice churches.
[+] 1 user Likes Jack_Ripper's post
02-02-2015, 10:09 PM
They're not really the "furthest away" from everybody at all. When you look at the highest population centers and some areas especially the north east, have a deeply high up population.

The north west kinda applies to it, but that's also another interesting gimmick. Because even more so than the other high atheist areas, are people in the north west states more frequently new-agey or still into other semi religious thoughts of that nature.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-02-2015, 10:24 PM
(02-02-2015 10:04 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  I live east of Dallas Tx. Smack dab in the middle of Baptist fundi land. There is no one I know of that shares my lack of belief. There is a poverty stricken town of about 2000 people 10 miles from my house. Very poor neighborhoods and rampant drug and alcohol abuse. But there sure are a lot of nice churches.

The ever so really sad truth of a lot of poverty stricken places I am afraid. The worst thing is, regardless of how nice the place is, there is nothing good they can do for any of those people that will have any meaningful physical impact, even if they actually wanted too.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
02-02-2015, 11:16 PM
This is an interesting one...

Two cities, very different results. Red for most religious, blue for least.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/databl...viz#img-10

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2015, 04:30 AM
(02-02-2015 10:04 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  I live east of Dallas Tx. Smack dab in the middle of Baptist fundi land. There is no one I know of that shares my lack of belief. There is a poverty stricken town of about 2000 people 10 miles from my house. Very poor neighborhoods and rampant drug and alcohol abuse. But there sure are a lot of nice churches.

"Very poor neighborhoods and rampant drug and alcohol abuse. But there sure are a lot of nice churches."

Yeah... the churches are run by the alcoholic drug abusers.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2015, 06:45 AM
(02-02-2015 09:38 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  ...
a) Also, which religions are most prevalent in your area and
b) how much influence over the area does it have?

a) Islam
b) Total

Hobo

03-02-2015, 06:54 AM
(02-02-2015 09:38 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  How does the demographics of where you live and other atheists you know life in relation to where the religious are? Do you find yourself smothered in like minded people, is there a big stretch of a mass of religious and it gets less and less religious until it arrives where you live in whatever city your from? Or, are you smack dab in the middle of fundi land?

Most of my family and friends are either atheist or tolerantly religious. Anyone I know at work well enough to talk about religion also tends to fall into one of these two groups, as well.

That being said, west Michigan is relatively religious. So, apparently, I choose wisely when it comes to friends.

(02-02-2015 09:38 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Also, which religions are most prevalent in your area and how much influence over the area does it have? Example would be bill boards, constant large gatherings etc.

Christianity is the most prevalent religion, with the Reformed and Roman Catholic as being the two biggest denominations. There are a decent number of Baptists churches, but demographically, they aren't represented like they are in the south.

For the time being, the religious people get their way when it come to stuff like billboards and gay rights.
03-02-2015, 09:17 AM
I'd love to see that same map for the entire globe. I just looked up the poll numbers for Canada and, unsurprisingly, it comes in on the less to least religious side.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.